Xbox 360 3 year warranty extension announced

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Open Letter From Peter Moore

To our Xbox Community:
You've spoken, and we’ve heard you. Good service and a good customer experience are areas of the business that we care deeply about. And frankly, we've not been doing a good enough job.

Some of you have expressed frustration with the customer experiences you have had with Xbox 360; frustration with having to return your console for service after receiving the general hardware error message on the console.

The majority of customers who own Xbox 360 consoles have had a terrific experience from their first day, and continue to, day in and day out. But when anyone questions the reliability of our product, or our commitment to our customers, it's something I take very seriously.

We have been following this issue closely, and with on-going testing have identified several factors that can cause a general hardware failure indicated by three flashing red lights on the console. To address this issue, and as part of our ongoing work, we have already made certain improvements to the console.

We are also implementing some important policy changes intended to keep you in the game, worry-free.

As of today, all Xbox 360 consoles are covered by an enhanced warranty program to address specifically the general hardware failures indicated by the three flashing red lights on the console. This applies to new and previously-sold consoles. While we will still have a general one year console warranty (two years in some countries), we are announcing today a three-year warranty that covers any console that displays a three flashing red lights error message. If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge—including shipping—for three years from the console’s purchase date. We will also retroactively reimburse any of you who paid for repairs related to problems indicated by this error message in the past. In doing so, Microsoft stands behind its products and takes responsibility to ensure that every Xbox 360 console owner continues to have a fantastic gaming experience.

If we have let any of you down in the experience you have had with your Xbox 360, we sincerely apologize. We are taking responsibility and are making these changes to ensure that every Xbox 360 owner continues to have a great experience.
This will take a few days to roll out globally, and I appreciate your continued patience as we launch this program. I've posted an FAQ that should address some additional questions, and we'll update it over the next few days.

I want to thank you, on behalf of all us at Microsoft, for your loyalty.

Source: Xbox.com | Open Letter From Peter Moore

too late for me... i traded my soon to die system in for the very reason of not wanting to pay for a repair.

It took M$oft too long to extend the warranty from 90 days to 1 year in my opinion, and I had to pay for my first repair, only to get a refund 5 months later.. I was not going to go thru the whole scenario again.

and now 6 months later they go from 1 year to 3 years... oh well, build a system that doesnt break and maybe you will get me to consider buying the 720 or whatever the next gen will be called.

too late for me... i traded my soon to die system in for the very reason of not wanting to pay for a repair.

It took M$oft too long to extend the warranty from 90 days to 1 year in my opinion, and I had to pay for my first repair, only to get a refund 5 months later.. I was not going to go thru the whole scenario again.

and now 6 months later they go from 1 year to 3 years... oh well, build a system that doesnt break and maybe you will get me to consider buying the 720 or whatever the next gen will be called.
Yep, heard that too many times. There's a LOT of kids/adults out there who disposed of their consoles because they broke and MS refused to do right by them. What happens to them? Nothing, they get nadda for being early adopters who didn't want to hold onto their busted consoles for 2 years while MS debated over their failures.

Great news. Microsoft charged me for repairs to my 11 month old 360 about a week ago. I wonder how long before I see a credit to my card.

What do you expect from a company who can't even build an OS properly?? :D

Glad to hear they extended the warranty though.

Hopefully they have resolved the issues with the hardware.

They have.

The problem was with a X clamp that would get too hot and allow the motherboard to flex. There are reports that MS has added a new heat sink to the motherboard on all recently repaired 360s.

Jbernardi - They extended the warranty to 1 year in December, you shouldnt of had to pay anything at all. As for a refund, get ready for the long wait..

It doesn't help you if you have another problem. You still need an extended warranty for the other problems.

I'm very happy about this. My 360 died a couple of weeks ago. Called up, on hold for 1 hour and they didn't want to touch the thing unless I forked over $105. I explained to them that I know it wasn't my fault b/c I did enough research on the net to know these things were breaking at a 33% rate. Still, they said they would get back to me. They didn't, but now I guess I know why!

So does this extend the "extended warranty" that some of us purchased from MS?

Yes it does....

When they extended the warranty from 90 days to ayear, I got an updated warranty certificate. i expect them to do the same here..... Although I doubt I will need it for 6 years (3 years from Microsoft + 3 years extended I bought when I heard about the overheating issues) from the date I bought it, it will be there.....

Bottom line, heat kills.... Keep it ventilated, don't leave the power brick horizontal on the carpet (hang it or stand it on its end, leaning against the wall to help the heat dissipate).

Also, for some reasons, some games that tax the processor much more than most can generate extra heat and become the tipping point that bricks the unit. Dead Rising and Forza 2 are prime culprits... It will be interesting to see of Halo 3 joins the group as well.....

Your extended warranty will not be extended. The only thing Microsoft covers for the 3 years is the 3 red lights, that's it. All the rest like DVD Drive and stuff like that are not covered but 1 year.

We'll see.... several months after they upped the warranties to a year, I got the update expiration date on my extended warranty....

I'll let you all know whenever it shows up, although it will probably be Christmas before I see one....

We'll see.... several months after they upped the warranties to a year, I got the update expiration date on my extended warranty....

I'll let you all know whenever it shows up, although it will probably be Christmas before I see one....

I have one too, so I will find out when you do too.

I have to agree with Ramy here.. I contacted xbox support and got this for a response...

Hi, Michael!

Thank you for writing Xbox Customer Support!

I deeply apologize for the inconvenience and as I understand, you have an issue with screen freezing but your console does not display a red ligh on the ring of light. I also understand that you want to know if you will get a reimbursement of the repair cost after the open letter of Peter Moore announcing the three year warranty.

Mike, the warranty is intended only for three red lights issue. The sixth paragraph of Mr. Moore's letter clearly states:

"As of today, all Xbox 360 consoles are covered by an enhanced warranty program to address specifically the general hardware failures indicated by the three flashing red lights on the console. This applies to new and previously-sold consoles. While we will still have a general one year console warranty (two years in some countries), we are announcing today a three-year warranty that covers any console that displays a three flashing red lights error message. If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge—including shipping—for three years from the console’s purchase date. We will also retroactively reimburse any of you who paid for repairs related to problems indicated by this error message in the past. In doing so, Microsoft stands behind its products and takes responsibility to ensure that every Xbox 360 console owner continues to have a fantastic gaming experience".

For further assistance, please don't hesitate to write back or call Xbox Phone Support at 1-800-4MYXBOX or 1-800-469-9269 (United States and Canada); or 425-635-7180 (International/direct dial to the US) at your earliest convenience. We are open everyday 9am-1am EST/6am-10pm PST.

To expedite service, please provide Service Request Number 103886xxxx when you call.

Note: You may link your console to your Windows Live ID, and check repair status online at the web site: Registration, Warranty and Repair Service for Devices.

Sincerely,
Arnold
Xbox Customer Care Team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)