XBox 360 game data transfer?

janedo1586

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
SE Nebraska
My boys have been sharing an Xbox 360 for a couple years now. With the oldest one (#1) going off to college next summer, the youngest one (#2) used his Christmas money to buy his own Xbox. Son #2 has spent quite a bit of MY money on downloaded content for Guitar Hero, Rock Band, etc. #1 just has saved game data. Is there a way to transfer #1's game data from the 120 gig HD on the current system to the 60 gig HD on the new system? #2 can then keep the 120 gig HD with all his downloaded content and #1 can use the 60 gig HD. I've done some searches but haven't found an answer. Any ideas? I sense a big fight coming if we can't figure this out.

there's a transfer tool you can purchase that'll let you hook up the HD to the pc.. I never used it, but I've seen it in the stores a few times..

Other option would be to get a memory card.. You might be able to transfer saved games to that and then back.. Though seems like a lot of work for saved games.. :)

Seems like a lot of work to me too, but when you're dealing with a 16 year old and an 18 year old who do not get along under the best of circumstances, I'll try anything to avoid WW III. :)

It's a bit tricky. You can transfer the saved game data with a memory card. The content that you bought is tied to the account/360 it was downloaded on. Easiest thing to do is swap HDDs. Do they both have gold accounts? You can also take a look at the license transfer tool. Content is tied to one 360 at a time.

I *think* they both have gold accounts. My suggestion was that son #2 keep the 120 gig HD with all the Rock Band and Guitar Hero stuff on it and son #1 take the new 60 gig HD and just transfer his game data to it. If the downloaded content is tied to one account, if son #2 changes his gamer tag, does he lose all the downloaded content? I'm a Nintendo geek myself...never had much interest in the Xbox, so I know very little about how it works from the tech end. Seems like you should be able to plug in a flash drive and pull off whatever you want...but that would be too easy!

I thought the content was tied to your gamer tag, I've used a memory card to download and play games I've already purchased on other peoples consoles and when I removed my memory card the game reverted to trial mode.

If son #2 pays the $10 fee to rename his account it should be fine, if your talking about creating a new account I don't think it will.

If all he wants to transfer is game saves, the cheapest and easiest thing to do is buy a 360 memory card.

There is a 64mb card and a 512mb card, either will work and are available almost everywhere.

The memory card will allow him to move only his game saves to the new 360 while leaving everything else on the other one.

Link to the 64 MB:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-64MB-Memory-Unit/dp/B000B6MLRS"]64 MB[/ame]

Link to the 512 MB
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Memory-Unit-512MB/dp/B000O62OS6"]512 MB[/ame]

I thought the content was tied to your gamer tag, I've used a memory card to download and play games I've already purchased on other peoples consoles and when I removed my memory card the game reverted to trial mode.

If son #2 pays the $10 fee to rename his account it should be fine, if your talking about creating a new account I don't think it will.

Content is tied to your gamer tag, but there's also a license tied to your console itself.
As long as you log into that other console with your id, downloaded games will work.
That's why M$ came out with that license transfer utility. I ran into the license issue when I got my console back from repair. My wife and kids couldn't play any of the purchased arcade games with their ids. all were in trial mode. Problem they weren't using my gold account. As soon as I used the license transfer utility, all was well. Wife and kids could play the games "offline".
janedo1586, this is why M$ ties the content to a gamer tag. No sharing purchased games and content.

Content is tied to your gamer tag, but there's also a license tied to your console itself.
As long as you log into that other console with your id, downloaded games will work.
That's why M$ came out with that license transfer utility. I ran into the license issue when I got my console back from repair. My wife and kids couldn't play any of the purchased arcade games with their ids. all were in trial mode. Problem they weren't using my gold account. As soon as I used the license transfer utility, all was well. Wife and kids could play the games "offline".
janedo1586, this is why M$ ties the content to a gamer tag. No sharing purchased games and content.
When you transfer a HDD to a new Xbox, you need to reset all the licenses. You have to "redownload" everything and it sets it up like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)