Xbox 360 General Hardware Failure.

knighthammer

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
Anyone here know anything about repairing Xbox 360? During the big update last week mine won't work. All I can get is a Status Code which MS says is a General Hardware Failure & I will have to send it in for repairs, to the tune of $99 - $119.00. Any ideas???

What is the status code you are getting? There are a few different errors... some of which you can repair yourself quite cheaply while there are others that you might as well buy a new box...

What do you mean during the big update? Did it fail during the update? If so you may have a case against Microsoft to replace it.

This is what comes up:

System Update Stopped.

Can't read update from your hard drive. Please reattach it. Your console will automatically restart and continue the update. (I did & it didn't)

If the problem persists, visit Welcome to Xbox Support - Xbox.com.

Source Code: 3524-396B-2380-0F00-C000-0034

The way I understand it, the update is on my hard drive but my console can't read it, due to a hardware failure.

well it could be the hard drive that failed... try to load the system without the hard drive attached. If you have a jump drive (8gb+) try to use that. A lot of the older systems used to have hard drive failures and since it is booting without red ring it could be a bad drive.

I had a launch 360 until the slim came out... had RROD once (likely my fault for how it was locked in a cabinet and overheating)... fixed it myself.

A Hard drive can fail in a PS3 as well... so if you bought a PS3 to avoid hard drive failure I'm not sure that's a good reason... PS3 also had a big string of blu-ray drive failures early on... not as widespread as the xbox problems but unlike MS, Sony charged for all repairs.

That's like me saying I have xbox because PSN online gets hacked and I don't want my CC info stolen....

Ok let's keep on Xbox 360 failure before we turn this into a qc war between the two consoles.

Sent from my iPad2 using SatelliteGuys

well it could be the hard drive that failed... try to load the system without the hard drive attached. If you have a jump drive (8gb+) try to use that. A lot of the older systems used to have hard drive failures and since it is booting without red ring it could be a bad drive.

Tried this over the weekend, same result.

OK... I have been looking into this.

Did you download a software update or was the xbox installing an update from a disc?

basically the error is 100% caused by the update failing. The only way to fix it is to resume the update. Unfortunately if it was via download there is no way to cause it to resume. If it is from a disc then booting from the disc again should fix it.

Either way Tell xbox it is not RROD and that it was caused from the system update and the repair should be free as it is not hardware related but software.

i've had my 360 for 6 years with no issues what-so-ever

I had a launch 360 and it and the replacements failed 5 times. I know we're probably not the norm but it definitely was a problem.

Microsoft defnitely did not let me down though and in fact repaired or replaced my system until they got it fixed.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts