XBox ONE and PS4

thanks, the other that confused me is my Mom friend pre order a XBox One for his grandson in Buffalo and today he got a letter saying he can pick it up on the 4th, how is that possible? when the XBox One doesn't come until 22th

Last edited:
Actually neither console is really backwards compatible. The PS4 is supposedly able to stream PS3 games via Gaikai at some point in the future. This won't be available at launch though and you can't just put your PS3 disks in the PS4 and play. I'm guessing this feature won't be free even if you owned the games on PS3.

Sony has moved away from their proprietary cell processor to PC based hardware. It doesn't have the PS3 chip set inside it so it can't natively play PS3 games. If they wanted to do backwards compatibility they would have to do it in software emulation and probably on a game by game basis. Sony and Microsoft had this same problem last generation. Sony chose to include the PS2 chip set in the original PS3 hardware. Microsoft chose to handle backwards compatibility with emulation but they had to do it on a game by game basis. They had to keep releasing patches to add new games.

Both companies have said that a very low percentage of people actually used backwards compatibility. Sony stopped including the PS2 chip in newer PS3 models to save money and Microsoft stopped releasing patches to add original Xbox games. I think both companies have decided that backwards compatibility is a bullet point feature that everyone talks about at launch but it doesn't get used often. Either way both companies have chosen not to support backwards compatibility natively. Sony says Gaikai will stream PS3 games to the PS4 eventually but we'll see if they ever do.

No the Xbox one can not play Xbox 360 games.

The ps4 can play ps3 games.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The PS4 is not BC with PS3 games out of the box. Sony has announced the availability of PS3 games on the PS4 at a later date through their cloud streaming service, but very little information about how that's going to work and the pricing are yet to be announced.

I see it as just the PS4's version of the current "HD collections" of PS2 games that are available on the PS3. In other words, you aren't going to simply be able to access for free any PS3 game you own, even if you bought it digitally. This is just speculation of course because, again, to my knowledge Sony has not provided any specific details other than that popular PS3 games will be available on the PS4 through the cloud service at some time in the future.

EDIT: Ninja'd by king3pj

I'm going with the PS4. As much of an Xbox fan as I had been, the crap that happened during the unveiling, and the privacy concerns really upset me. Then the last straw was them discontinuing the family pack. Effectively doubling my yearly Live bill. No thanks.

i still going with the the PS4 but they are putting too many restriction on both systems its dumb! why do we need a update to play Blu-ray/DVD?

image-2611158730.jpg

Pic from an Amazon warehouse. One of these could be mine!!!!!!;-)

i still going with the the PS4 but they are putting too many restriction on both systems its dumb! why do we need a update to play Blu-ray/DVD?

Sounds to me like the system just comes with factory software which has to be updated to whatever the current version is. Just like Dish receivers and a lot of other equipment. I don't see the big deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)