XBox One not controlling my Dish Hopper

Quazarr

Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
United States
I have had my xbox one set up for a little over a month. Its a pretty slick device. It would be a lot better if I could figure out what I am doing wrong with the setup to my Dish Hopper.

I am connecting out of the Hopper into XB1, out from XB1 to TV all by HDMI.

But, alas, none of the commands work from the XB1, such as using the XB1 OneGuide to change channels on the Hopper, or just saying "Watch CMT". It recognizes my command, but it never changes the hopper.

I have read here and at other places, people have gotten this to work. So it must be user error.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could try?

Thanks,
Q

Turn on IR in the remote manager on the hopper.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have already gone into the Hopper menu under remote manager and made sure IR was enabled. That is what is baffling about it to me. The Hopper box is approximately 4 to 5 feet away from the kinect. I even moved the Kinect closer to test if that was the problem and still got nothing.

Q

I read on a gaming forum that in addition to enabling IR that you also have to make sure your "Remote Address" is set to "1" for the XB1 to control your receiver.

Last edited:
I did not do that yet. I will try that when I get home and report back.

Q

OK, so I was all excited to get home and try this.. what a great disappointment... It seems I am punished for having the newer Hopper with Sling (well, at least I feel that way.. lol). All the instructions that are out there to change the remote address (by pressing the SAT button until the red lights on top light up, press the channel you want, then the # sign and the rec (I am sure I left a few steps out but you get the picture) )do not work with my Hopper. I got my hopper a few months ago. The pictures they show of the on screen menu and the remote look nothing like what I have. I do not have a place on my System Info screen that tells me what UHF channel is set to.

Does anyone know how to change the remote address on a newer Hopper with Sling?

I am going to start a separate thread just on how to change the remote address on the new hopper as I am sure others would love to know this for more reasons that just connecting to the XB1.

Thanks!
Q

You can't set it on a Hopper. Hopper remote has a mac address. If the blasters are on the xbox, then it sounds like you would need to set the address the xbox is blasting to 1. With IR enabled I would think that would work. However, I'm not sure if you can change the address on the xbox.

OK, so I was all excited to get home and try this.. what a great disappointment... It seems I am punished for having the newer Hopper with Sling (well, at least I feel that way.. lol). All the instructions that are out there to change the remote address (by pressing the SAT button until the red lights on top light up, press the channel you want, then the # sign and the rec (I am sure I left a few steps out but you get the picture) )do not work with my Hopper. I got my hopper a few months ago. The pictures they show of the on screen menu and the remote look nothing like what I have. I do not have a place on my System Info screen that tells me what UHF channel is set to.

Does anyone know how to change the remote address on a newer Hopper with Sling?

I am going to start a separate thread just on how to change the remote address on the new hopper as I am sure others would love to know this for more reasons that just connecting to the XB1.

Thanks!
Q

I don't know about any of this remote address stuff but I can tell you that my Xbox One worked with my Hopper with Sling out of the box. I didn't have to make any changes at all to get it working. All I did was select Dish as the brand of my DVR, it tested by turning off the box, I confirmed that it worked, and that was that. The Xbox One controls my HWS, Toshiba TV, and Onkyo AVR. The only problem is it doesn't always understand voice controls. I was trying to show off for people at my New Year's Eve party and we were having about a 25% success rate. People still thought it was cool but it would have been more impressive if it worked more reliably.

I don't know about any of this remote address stuff but I can tell you that my Xbox One worked with my Hopper with Sling out of the box. I didn't have to make any changes at all to get it working. All I did was select Dish as the brand of my DVR, it tested by turning off the box, I confirmed that it worked, and that was that. The Xbox One controls my HWS, Toshiba TV, and Onkyo AVR. The only problem is it doesn't always understand voice controls. I was trying to show off for people at my New Year's Eve party and we were having about a 25% success rate. People still thought it was cool but it would have been more impressive if it worked more reliably.

So I decided to do the old "tech support advice #1... restart". I restored defaults and went through the setup again and it works like a gem... Thanks for putting up with my post... chalk this one up to big ol' user error!

Q

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts