Xbox One review

Engadget also had a good one.

Sounds like the pars are there but its not all complete yet.

With that said I can't wait to get mine. :D

Looks good, the only thing I didnt like reading, and its one of the BIG selling points of the ps4 in my opinion is that system is streamlined to get you gaming as soon as possible, where as of right now the xbox one seems to make you want to wait still.

Yeah only thing I don't like is they are trying to make it a TV Box where I don't think PS4 is doing that as much.
As I have said, they're on 2 different paths. They can't compete on "console power" anymore because that hasn't been relevant since the "Bit Wars" of the 1990s. So now they have to differentiate based on features. Sony is going down the path of "Cheaper, with games being the primary focus" while Microsoft is going down the path of "More Expensive, but with more 'Mainstream' features." Now you can choose based on what you want in a system. You can't really go on exclusives anymore because they are almost nonexistant (part of the reason why the Wii U is suffering since no one is rabid over the next Mario/Zelda game like they used to be.) So now you pick what you want based on features. It will be interesting to see where both consoles are in 12 months and all the major bugs are squashed and developers start tapping into the real power of the respective systems.

Looks good, the only thing I didnt like reading, and its one of the BIG selling points of the ps4 in my opinion is that system is streamlined to get you gaming as soon as possible, where as of right now the xbox one seems to make you want to wait still.

My PS4 wouldn't let us play a game until we updated the software.

But once it updated it was all set. :)

My PS4 wouldn't let us play a game until we updated the software.

But once it updated it was all set. :)

LOL, what I mean was according to this review it took 19 minutes to install a game to where it could start being played...killzone started installing yet I was able to play it pretty much right away. They also said Load times are still there on the XBOX one. Can this be changed, sure. I do have to say that is a last gen annoyance that shouldnt be there!

If one can't view what is stored on ones DVR what is the point? What I've seen of he TV functionality is good but not fantastic. Any reports on how this is behaving with DirecTV boxes? I'm curious how this all shakes out..

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

LOL, what I mean was according to this review it took 19 minutes to install a game to where it could start being played...killzone started installing yet I was able to play it pretty much right away. They also said Load times are still there on the XBOX one. Can this be changed, sure. I do have to say that is a last gen annoyance that shouldnt be there!
That's a case by case basis.. I don't think we can now declare that the pre-loading system of the One is a failure as a result.

That's a case by case basis.. I don't think we can now declare that the pre-loading system of the One is a failure as a result.

Oh I hope no one took me saying that as I am declaring it a failure..I was just mentioning it becuase I thought it wouldnt be there (load times and install times) thats all, I think the really only other thing that I read that I didnt like which again can be software upgraded hopefully is that it dosent pass a HDMI signal through unaltered...which for video/audio people might make them take a step back and think about it...other then that I hope the xbox one does well, I will miss Halo in this gen for sure!

Oh I hope no one took me saying that as I am declaring it a failure..I was just mentioning it becuase I thought it wouldnt be there (load times and install times) thats all, I think the really only other thing that I read that I didnt like which again can be software upgraded hopefully is that it dosent pass a HDMI signal through unaltered...which for video/audio people might make them take a step back and think about it...other then that I hope the xbox one does well, I will miss Halo in this gen for sure!
Load times and install times are not going away anytime soon, especially on HDD. I have a SSD on my computer which, while not as powerful as the One/PS4 is still respectably fast. I still have load times with my games. Granted, the difference between HDD and SSD are like night and day (and don't get me started on difference between it and current gen console load times) but don't expect an experience like you're playing a cartridge based game.

Load times and install times are not going away anytime soon, especially on HDD. I have a SSD on my computer which, while not as powerful as the One/PS4 is still respectably fast. I still have load times with my games. Granted, the difference between HDD and SSD are like night and day (and don't get me started on difference between it and current gen console load times) but don't expect an experience like you're playing a cartridge based game.

agreed, I was just pointing out that sony has found a way to keep it a to a min. it seems...with killzone its within 5 minutes your playing a game and it still installs in the background, again I am sure xbox one will get this figured out. I like where there ambition is on this project and cant wait to see where they go with it! :D

As I have said, they're on 2 different paths. They can't compete on "console power" anymore because that hasn't been relevant since the "Bit Wars" of the 1990s. So now they have to differentiate based on features. Sony is going down the path of "Cheaper, with games being the primary focus" while Microsoft is going down the path of "More Expensive, but with more 'Mainstream' features."
Is it reasonable to think that Microsoft is going to keep up with "mainstream features" as well as someone like Roku? I'm not convinced.

Until such time as the console replaces my TV, I'm not all that interested in what features it duplicates.

Is it reasonable to think that Microsoft is going to keep up with "mainstream features" as well as someone like Roku? I'm not convinced.

Until such time as the console replaces my TV, I'm not all that interested in what features it duplicates.

That's why I don't think either console is for non-gamers. Last gen if you wanted a blu-ray player a PS3 was one of the best choices even if you didn't game. When Netflix first took off you might have bought a 360 or PS3 to stream. These days you can get a Sony 3D player that supports DLNA and all the major streaming apps for $89. If you only care about streaming you can get a Roku or Apple TV for $50 to $100 and the Roku has many times more streaming channels than either console will ever have.

It's hard to recommend a $400 PS4 or a $500 Xbox One to someone who isn't a gamer. If you don't care about the games you're probably better off going with a standalone blu-ray player or streaming device for $100 or less. Now, if you are a gamer having all of these options available to you in one box is a definite plus. There are just much better valued options available for non-gamers these days.

I purchased a PS4 through Amazon and received it last week like many. Overall each system being equal in many ways makes it hard to recommend the One simply because of the price point. If that person is very into pay television like many are around this site it would be an easy recommend though.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yeah I had the 360 last then a PS back in the day but just not into how they are trying to do too much with the One..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)