Xbox three rings of death?

There was an identified issue with the design of the 360 which has since been fixed.

My sources inside the XBox division would beg to differ some what. The issue is that the GPU and CPU are too close together. Too much heat is being generated between the two units. The kludge fix was that they installed an additional fan unit to help dissipate the heat better between the two units. The whole 360 needs to be redesigned to completely fix this issue. They saw the fan fix as a way to prolong the life of the unit, but it will still eventually die from heat related issues.

My sources inside the XBox division would beg to differ some what. The issue is that the GPU and CPU are too close together. Too much heat is being generated between the two units. The kludge fix was that they installed an additional fan unit to help dissipate the heat better between the two units. The whole 360 needs to be redesigned to completely fix this issue. They saw the fan fix as a way to prolong the life of the unit, but it will still eventually die from heat related issues.
Yep this is still very TRUE!

Well my 2nd 360 just bit the dust. Didn't get the RROD. No video. Just audio. Luckily, it's still under warranty. M$ now emails the shipping label. Should have it within 24hrs. Just have to get my own box and drop it off at UPS.

Just to follow up! We should all get NEW 360's I'm tired of the ducked tape approach to fixing my launch date 360!
I would agree, but Microsoft won't do that, as a total recall would kill them forever in the console industry.
So for now they just patch them as they can, and hope the bad rep doesn't carry over to the next console generation.

My 2nd replacement (my current unit) was new. It was manufactured the week after I sent my bad one in. They do send new ones out from time to time for whatever reason.
I think mine was new too. The date on my new one was late June, and the broken one arrived at Microsoft in late August.

When M$ replaced my son's, it was new. Hoping I'll get a new one to replace my 360. I know this has been said before, but this thing is a POS! I've never had nor heard of a product with this many issues not having a total recall. Now that both of my 360s have bit the dust, not sure what I'll do if I have more problems and each one is out of warranty. I may just dump them for a couple of more PS3s.

Well my 2nd 360 just bit the dust. Didn't get the RROD. No video. Just audio. Luckily, it's still under warranty. M$ now emails the shipping label. Should have it within 24hrs. Just have to get my own box and drop it off at UPS.

I just dropped mine off yesterday. I'm not to far from Texas and according to UPS it has been delivered. How long should it be before they send it back? :(

I just dropped mine off yesterday. I'm not to far from Texas and according to UPS it has been delivered. How long should it be before they send it back? :(
Wow! If they have it already, I'll bet you'll see it in a week or so.

The biggest delay is typically the transportation time. If you live close by then you're in good shape.

Why would there be a recall when they are fixing units when they break? A vast majority of people who have bought 360s in the last year or so will likely never see RROD.
Also, you typically issue a recall if there's a hazard or health risk associated with the product. Aside from some broken controllers out of frustration, there's no potential "harm" in the RRoD. If RRoD was known to lead to the machine burning up or starting a fire, THEN a recall would be more appropriate. Besides, you may as well just play your 360 until you get the RRoD. Depending on your situation, you could have a good stretch before getting that error.

Why would there be a recall when they are fixing units when they break? A vast majority of people who have bought 360s in the last year or so will likely never see RROD.

Besides the safety issue already mentioned. Imagine if everyone set in there 360s at the same time. The repair centers would have been overwhelmed and it would have taken months to repair and return. There were no replacements aka new ones in the system and all the old ones were repairable so as one came in you could refurb and send them out with in a week.

My local UPS store told me the 360s coming in to be shipped off to Texas has slowed to ~6 per week. They were getting 10-20 a day earlier this year

Speaking of controllers, anyone have controllers die on them? Friend had a rechargeable battery die which is to be expected, but on one of mine the analog sticks are getting a little lazy I think, don't go right back to center all the time. Played the hell out of them for going on 3 years so I guess I've gotten what I paid for, but just wondering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts