XBOX360 resolutions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kirby Baker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Somewhere in space
My xbox comes today. Question about resolutions, what dictates the output resolution of the unit, is it the game, or is there a setting? For example, a 720p game will only get to my TV as 720p, or does the XBOX upconvert to 1080i as well?

My 1st gen XBOX ran into this problem when I tried a 720p game. My TV does not do 720p so I had a black screen. So i went into the menu and turned 720 only off.

From what I've seen all of the 360 games are in both 720p and 1080i. The 360 should not have any problems with 1080i only displays.

Geeez could they have made the power transformer any bigger??? Going to have to try and find a hiding place for this thing... Dont have any games yet, so not even going to hook it up yet, I would no doubt just get frustrated! :)

Oh one other question, did you guys sign up for the 2yr warranty from MS? $60 is the price I think.

Last edited:
I will not buy a 360 untill the 2nd gen software comesout. I never trust the 1st gen software of any console.

Ok since tomorrow is my shopping day at bestbuy with gift cards in hand, what games would you guys recommend for my new 360?

I definitely want PGR. I was looking at possibly getting Tiger Woods golf game, and a good shoot-em up game too, but noit sure what to get. Have Quake4 for PC, and Call For Duty 2 for PC. Any compelling reason to get either of those for the 360? What other suggestions? It'd be cool to have something fun but not sure what would be worth the money...

Kirby Baker said:
Geeez could they have made the power transformer any bigger??? Going to have to try and find a hiding place for this thing... Dont have any games yet, so not even going to hook it up yet, I would no doubt just get frustrated! :)

Oh one other question, did you guys sign up for the 2yr warranty from MS? $60 is the price I think.

Buy the warranty i have 2 consoles and have sent 1 back for replacement already

CWS_kahuna said:
From what I've seen all of the 360 games are in both 720p and 1080i. The 360 should not have any problems with 1080i only displays.

All current released game are rendered in 720p. There are no 1080i games at this time.

The 360 will upconvert 720p games to 1080i if you set you 360 to 1080i.
OR your TV can upconvert the games to 1080i if it has that capability

You will have to play with the setting to see what is best in your setup...

I got the extended warranty from best buy instead of microsoft. Theirs was $50.

For new games, i recommend you don't buy any at first and wait to rent them from blockbuster or something since they are around $50-60 each. You can also download demos of the games from the Xbox live marketplace.

So I should pick up an XBOX live gold card then it seems, and the warranty. I got my unit from kmart online, no warranty was offered I think.

Cant really do much with blockbuster, closest is 45 mins away. Are there downloadable demos of every 360 game, or just certain ones?

As for my resolutions, I'll have to let the xbox upconvert to 1080i. my Mitsu tv will only upconvert the digital antenna feed, other than that, its 1080i or bust.

Kirby Baker said:

YES! Get the warranty. You'll sleep better at night. As for the power brick (wow, they named THAT right), stand it on its side and make sure it has plenty of ventilation. This should keep most lockups at bay. DON'T leave it flat on your rug as it will overheat faster.

Paradox-SJ said:
All current released game are rendered in 720p. There are no 1080i games at this time.

The 360 will upconvert 720p games to 1080i if you set you 360 to 1080i.
OR your TV can upconvert the games to 1080i if it has that capability

You will have to play with the setting to see what is best in your setup...

It should be noted that ALL games are required to support at LEAST 720p.

Sweet.

Recommended games to whet your whistle.......

Call of Duty 2 (The best title so far)

Burnout Revenge (Yes, basically the same as the XBox version with a few upgrades but the gameplay, visuals, and sound are off the hook.

Quake 4. Yes, it's a twitch fest and just about identical to the PC version but I keep poppng this one in.

Dead or Alive 4. If it's a new MS console, there must me a new Dead or Alive game that blows us away. Great visuals. They tweaked it to give button mashers a tougher time, but gameplay is still classic DOA.

Games to avoid....

Madden 2006. Wow, biggest disappointment. They downgraded everything BUT the visuals. No Madden Cards, less game modes, no Madden and Michaels. Obvious they rushed this to make the launch date....

Full Auto. This game SHOULD rock, but it is way to hard to take out other players, and way to easy for them to take out you. I only played the demo but I was unimpressed.

Don't forget XBox Live arcade..... Geometry Wars, Smash TV, and Hexic are more addictive than crack and reminded of old school games.

Dude... four words for you... Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter.

It's the best and most astonishingly good looking X360 game so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)