XFER Hopper to EHD

ju10stores

Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
Oklahoma
I am trying to transfer my Hopper recordings to an external hard drive. I am using a WD Elements 1TB SSD. Do I need to get one with its own power source? I have removed all files off the ehd and re formatted it, but when plugged into the hopper it does not recognize it let alone ask if I want it re formatted for the dish.

I can't recall Dish ever recommending/supporting anything other than a spinning HDD. Try that. And, yes, Dish does state that the [spinning] HDD should have its on source of power.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I found out that an external power supply is needed for standard 3 1/2" external drives because of the added power they use. If you use a 2 1/2" drive without a separate power supply it should work fine even if not specifically supported.

I found out that an external power supply is needed for standard 3 1/2" external drives because of the added power they use. If you use a 2 1/2" drive without a separate power supply it should work fine even if not specifically supported.
Sorry, but many have reported NOT true to that claim. If you want to insure the smaller drives to work, you need a powered USB hub.

I can't recall Dish ever recommending/supporting anything other than a spinning HDD. Try that. And, yes, Dish does state that the [spinning] HDD should have its on source of power.

True. That said, I have tried several WD My Passport USB3-powered drives and they all work great. I have a USB2 My Passport which reliably crashes my receiver. :( I also tried an SSD drive and it too worked. I wouldn't waste money on an SSD, however, since the receiver will never make use of it's speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)