Xfinity (Comcast) rate/lineup changes

Skytrooper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 5, 2012
Baden, Pa.
Well DishDave, maybe tomorrow if I get in the mood I will give them a call. To me, if you are promised a price for a 2 year contract, it should be honored.

theBruce

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 29, 2003
Well, I guess Comcast lied. Got my new bill. Up 4$. Said that wouldn't happen over my 2 year bundle. So do I call them up and talk to someone I can't understand or just deal with it ?
My guess it is for Broadcast, Sports or Box/Equipment fees.

Those always are exempt and will cause the bill to go up without your actual package going up if under contract.

All providers do this, not just Comcast.

These are some of the reasons I am quite happy just paying for Netflix, Hulu and Disney+ and getting my locals via my Antenna and the Tablo.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Skytrooper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 5, 2012
Baden, Pa.
Yeah, theBruce, but when you are quoted a price for 2 years, it should be honored no matter what. There has to be a way to prevent companies from doing these things and crapping all over us. :onstrike

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Yeah, theBruce, but when you are quoted a price for 2 years, it should be honored no matter what.
The quotes of which you speak are usually the programming package prices and typically don't include taxes and fees. If this is an atypical situation and the bottom line was indeed quoted, then it is worth pursuing but that's not typically how it goes down. There's some similar issues with what you can get credits for when you cancel.

There are many classes of customer costs: programming (typically refundable), sports season packages and PPV (usually not refundable), non-programming fees (usually not refundable) and taxes (not refundable).

Fees may include service change costs (to add or remove programming or a feature), hardware rental/lease, insurance plans, PPV, charges to talk to a human and the ever-popular early termination fee to get out of an "agreement". DIRECTV explicitly exempts regional sports costs from their price guarantees.

theBruce

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 29, 2003
The quotes of which you speak are usually the programming package prices and typically don't include taxes and fees.
When I went to the Xfinity Store earlier this year I flirted with getting their TV Service, not once did they ever quote me a price that included the fees ( broadcast, sports, taxes) which at that time would have added roughly $24 to my bill.

By the way with all their fees going up, Broadcast to $14.95, Local sports to $8.75 and taxes and fees roughly $8, that is over $30 a month in fees alone ( and does not include box or DVR fees which will push it higher), no wonder people are leaving live TV service.

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Last edited:

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
When I went to the Xfinity Store earlier this year I flirted with getting their TV Service, not once did they ever quote me a price that included the fees ( broadcast, sports, taxes) which at that time would have added roughly $24 to my bill.

By the way with all their fees going up, Broadcast to $14.95, Local sports to $8.75 and taxes and fees roughly $8, that is over $30 a month in fees alone ( and does not include box or DVR fees which will push it higher), no wonder people are leaving live TV service.

Bruce, several points of interest.. What happened locally in the SE TN and N GA market (at minimum) if you'll recall the old cheaper packages didn't include any sports keeping out that pesky sports fee. Now, even their revamped what would've been Digital Economy they add FS1, which when I asked specifically why add that ONE channel which is of course much cheaper per sub than ESPN the rep said pretty much any sports channel like that added (excluding Golf or Tennis Channel) they "must" tack on that sports fee.. Reading between the lines, all packages must include locals, (add fee,) then by adding FS1, (add sports fee.)
By not disclosing actual taxes and fees in a quote they 'worm' around it by saying "Taxes, franchise fees, local tax vary so hard to give a quote." It's legal (I guess) but deceptive. Personally I know they used to say to me *price* of package "and taxes and fees..." This may be a question for the other cord cutters forum, but I wonder especially services like YTTV who carry the most locals are losing money since nationwide price is currently $49.99 with locals? (No sales tax YET in GA..) eventually always raising prices stating in vague terms "increase in programming costs and innovation.."
At one time I had their home phone service. In looking closely at the bill in the breakdown, some charges listed said "cost recovery fee" that wasn't imposed by any regulatory agency yet Comcast stated plainly it didn't have to pass that cost to the customer but did anyway, others were mandatory to cover their costs.
Charlie Ergen was correct. A year or so ago he and CEO of Philo stated they could envision local broadcast fees being upwards of
Sent from my LML212VL using the SatelliteGuys app!

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township

I agree . I own my own router/modem and it’s already paid for itself. The fees keep going up and what’s worse is if you don’t subscribe to their tv as well then you don’t get access to their higher internet speeds. It’s total garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: andy_horton

theBruce

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Nov 29, 2003
I agree . I own my own router/modem and it’s already paid for itself. The fees keep going up and what’s worse is if you don’t subscribe to their tv as well then you don’t get access to their higher internet speeds. It’s total garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
The problem is with having your own modem is you don’t qualify for XFi Advantage, which includes the modem and no data caps at $15 a month.

I much prefer having my own modem but not at $50 more for no data caps.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
The fees keep going up and what’s worse is if you don’t subscribe to their tv as well then you don’t get access to their higher internet speeds. It’s total garbage.
Are you sure? I don't subscribe to TV, phone or security but I am given a choice of six different speed levels topping out at "up to" 1000Mbps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)