Xfinity vs. Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
fort lauderdale
I am considering switching to Xfinity. I've been informed my neighborhood has been upgraded to fiber. I've been a Directv customer for ten years and really like it. I currently have 3 HD-DVR's and one standard. Xfinity was in my neighborhood yesterday pitching their new service - every channel, three room HD- DVR (whole house?) with one standard receiver for back bedroom. Internet speeds up to 100 Mbps and home phone. The first year it's $145 tax included, the second year it jumps up $20.

I really like Directv, but the Xfinity package sounds great. As far as Internet, the fastest available in my area (Ft Lauderdale) is 1.5 Mbps which sucks for the area I live in. From what Att tells me I'm just outside the stations hi speed limit of 1000 ft.

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm comfortable with Directv, but the monthly bill is $110 with no pay channels, just three HD DVR's and one standard DVR

Last edited:
Interesting pricing (super promo??) as the Comcast Xfinity 105Mbps internet ALONE in my area is $199.95/mo !!! I say jump on this as fast as you can and sign up for as LONG as you can!!

Buyer beware and triple check all the prices and GET IT IN WRITING BEFORE YOU SIGN!!!

As long as all your viewing needs are met with the TV portion then you can't go wrong with that deal IMHO.

Xfinity has been pushing real hard in our area also adding up to a 300 gift card depending on the programming package you chose

if they start to offer that deal around here I will add them as a 2nd service just for the 100+ Mbps internet and backup telephone option. Hmmm and the gift card; LOL

Im in the same boat as you. I have been doing extensive research!. Here is my story.
Lately I have been having a ton of issues with all of my TV's loosing signal. I have had 3 different *D* techs out to the house. So far none of them have been able to find out the problem. One poor guy was at my house for almost 8 hours! He replaced everything from Deca module to replacing the power supply, running all NEW cable, new LNB etc. So I was looking at Xfinity and just maybe jumping boat. In my area (Denver) they actually carry (not counting premiums) more HD channels then *D* does. I have heard the horror stories how Comcast is trying to squeeze 3 HD channels into a singel channel so the HD looks like crap. Unfortunately I don't know anyone with Xfinity so I cant say whether this is true or not.Now one big thing for me is the Whole House DVR that *D* has. Now in my area Xfinity has their own version of this with a few negatives. First off the cost, they want $20 a month for the HDDVR and I believe $9 for the HD boxes that feed of it. So right there Im looking at almost $30 a month in Fees as where *D* Im paying $6 for basically the same setup. Also the system isnt as nice as *D*'s for instance you can't scedule a recording on any receiver other then the HD DVR as on *D* this can be done from any HD receiver. One big draw for me is Xfinity's VOD. Remember alot of shows you have to record on *D* will be waiting for you on Xfinity's VOD. Overall price if I go with their triple pay will come out close to what Im paying now( I currently bundle *D* with Qwest for my High speed internet and Cell phone service) But remeber the good thing with Comcast is say for instance you have in laws coming into town and you want to put a HD box in the spare bedroom, you can go down to Comcast and rent it basically for the weekend and take it back. Try that with *D* and they will want to extend your contract by 2 years. So sorry for the ramble but that's my 2 cents:)

Many of my apt dwelling friends here have the Comcast Xfinity HD and I have verified their setup and they have top flight displays; the HD quality isn't bad, but...... its not near up to par with DirecTV and no NFL if you are into that. I hate hearing when someone has an issue that can't be tracked down; BANGS HEAD...... Its is the rarity and with high tech; crap happens. Hopefully you can get it corrected, but this deal they are running is pretty sweet.

So just an added thought from above; did they ever swap out the receivers?

Just looked to see what the current deal is in our area. So currently right now for a triple play package with two HD dvr's and one HD reciever it's $191.00 with "blast" Internet and phone second year goes up about $25.00 and it includes a $250.00 dollar gift card. There are lower packages I just priced out there version of premier

Last edited:
I'm not sure of picture quality, that's why I'm fishing for advise. My biggie besides the fast Internet is getting every every channel including premiums. My current Directv is total choice, 3 HD DVR's and 1 standard DVR and it's about $110 a month and I'm sure that's including the free HD for 12 months. The reason I left Comcast was the customer service, but that was 10 years ago.

I think this new deal is great considering the home phone and Internet (at least 20 Mbps up to 100 Mbps) included - I'm currently
Paying 32.95 for 1.5 Mbps (thats the fastest available) and my home phone is another $40.

I can get everything for $145 for 12 months and then is jumps $20 a month for the second year.

Last edited:
Many of my apt dwelling friends here have the Comcast Xfinity HD and I have verified their setup and they have top flight displays; the HD quality isn't bad, but...... its not near up to par with DirecTV and no NFL if you are into that. I hate hearing when someone has an issue that can't be tracked down; BANGS HEAD...... Its is the rarity and with high tech; crap happens. Hopefully you can get it corrected, but this deal they are running is pretty sweet.

So just an added thought from above; did they ever swap out the receivers?

Nope they have not switched out my receivers. Thats really the only thing left. And your right about NFL Sunday Ticket. Obviously if thats your thing you need *D*.
Price wise for me for about $150/month I can get thier HD preferred plus package which includes HBO&Showtime, 20Mpbs internet service, and home phone service. That includes 1HDDVR &1HD receiver with Whole house DVR and a $200 Visa card. I haven't had cable in about 10 years and I think I'm going to give it ago.....Maybe......Now if they could just update their 1998 on screen guide with something like the Vip 922's it would make this decision a lot easier.

I also cant stand it that our only internet provider in my area for high speed is comcast, so to get the "reduced" rate. I have to sub to basic, basic tier package that I dont watch

I'm not sure of picture quality, that's why I'm fishing for advise. My biggie besides the fast Internet is getting every every channel including premiums. My current Directv is total choice, 3 HD DVR's and 1 standard DVR and it's about $110 a month and I'm sure that's including the free HD for 12 months. The reason I left Comcast was the customer service, but that was 10 years ago.

I think this new deal is great considering the home phone and Internet (at least 20 Mbps up to 100 Mbps) included - I'm currently
Paying 32.95 for 1.5 Mbps (thats the fastest available) and my home phone is another $40.

I can get everything for $145 for 12 months and then is jumps $20 a month for the second year.

The Comcast Cares team on Twitter has been great. Much Much better than phone or live chat.

https://twitter.com/#!/comcastcares

Here (Ft. Lauderdale) our choice is Comcast and AT&T. AT&T has high speed DSL, but my block is just outside the 1000 foot radius of the station. My neighbors a few blocks can get 3.0, but the fastest I can get is 1.5, which is never achieved mostly I get 1.1Mbps.

For that reason alone and of course the price I'm seriously considering switching to Xfinity. Every channel, 3 room HD DVR, minimum 20.0 Mbps Internet and phone for $145 first 12 months, then $165 months 13-26. I had to show a copy of my Directv bill to qualify for the special rate.

Anybody in South Florida getting this offer? I see the sales people in force in my neighborhood.

Here (Ft. Lauderdale) our choice is Comcast and AT&T. AT&T has high speed DSL, but my block is just outside the 1000 foot radius of the station. My neighbors a few blocks can get 3.0, but the fastest I can get is 1.5, which is never achieved mostly I get 1.1Mbps.

For that reason alone and of course the price I'm seriously considering switching to Xfinity. Every channel, 3 room HD DVR, minimum 20.0 Mbps Internet and phone for $145 first 12 months, then $165 months 13-26. I had to show a copy of my Directv bill to qualify for the special rate.

Anybody in South Florida getting this offer? I see the sales people in force in my neighborhood.

I would do it. Good price for good service.

Every time I've had a Comcast door to door rep stop by my house they always seem to have some super deal. They also like to exaggerate and tell me things that are not true.

The last one claimed that the out of market Fox sports RSNs where the same as HD Big Ten overflow channels. They have also started requiring 2 year contracts in my area for the Triple play deals.

I would go over everything thoroughly before committing.

I have noticed as well that comcast is getting into commitments now as well

I have noticed as well that comcast is getting into commitments now as well

There is a two year commitment with the package i was quoted. Although I wasnt in a contract with Directv and it felt good. I think I might go with their offer. I was hoping someone here could share similar experiences, thoughts? Thanx

I would say check out the comcast cable section of the forum but not much going on over there

I am considering switching to Xfinity. I've been informed my neighborhood has been upgraded to fiber. I've been a Directv customer for ten years and really like it. I currently have 3 HD-DVR's and one standard. Xfinity was in my neighborhood yesterday pitching their new service - every channel, three room HD- DVR (whole house?) with one standard receiver for back bedroom. Internet speeds up to 100 Mbps and home phone. The first year it's $145 tax included, the second year it jumps up $20.

I really like Directv, but the Xfinity package sounds great. As far as Internet, the fastest available in my area (Ft Lauderdale) is 1.5 Mbps which sucks for the area I live in. From what Att tells me I'm just outside the stations hi speed limit of 1000 ft.

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm comfortable with Directv, but the monthly bill is $110 with no pay channels, just three HD DVR's and one standard DVR

IF, you want AT&T, call them back and have them condition the line, this will take any bridge taps off the line and shorten the length, you will possibly be in range then... also, ask them just how far away you are (loop length)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)