XM Antenna?

munkin

Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
New York
I have XM radio but have a difficult time getting reception due to living beneath a rock escarpment. We have an unused satellite TV antenna on the roof. Can I use it to improve my XM reception? If so, how do I connect it to the radio>

Thanks!

Nope, that will not work. SDARS uses different frequencies then DBS. This is for a home installation, I assume? What you can do is take your existing XM antenna, find a location outside that you are able to get an XM signal, mount the antenna there and if need be get some antenna extension cables online and run it into the house to where your XM receiver is located at.

If you are using a 'folding' home antenna, keep in mind those are somewhat directional as compared to the magnetic car antenna. In NY, the satellites will be SSW of you, approximately 35-37 degrees (depending on if you are closer to Pennsylvania or Canada) up off the horizon. You might find that you get better reception if you 'aim' the flat part of the antenna toward that direction.

You could get a TERK XM6 XM Radio Home Antenna, it uses coax from the antenna to the receiver...if you are not using the satellite you could use the existing coax, the TERK also is designed to be mounted to the mast of your satellite antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts