XM Expands to more then 170 Channels!

i notice they are going to start putting regional local news stations on their line up,which i think would be a nice addition.but i would say the NAB will start to scream about that,because they do not want satellite radio to carry any local news or information like WLW does.it will be interesting to see what happens.when it comes to satellite delivered media like "Sirius or xm or dish network and directv" the NAB are a bunch of butt heads.
Sirius has had WSM from Nashville since the beginning and i don't think the NAB has ever bothered them about that.

Beagle said:
i notice they are going to start putting regional local news stations on their line up,which i think would be a nice addition.but i would say the NAB will start to scream about that,because they do not want satellite radio to carry any local news or information like WLW does.it will be interesting to see what happens.when it comes to satellite delivered media like "Sirius or xm or dish network and directv" the NAB are a bunch of butt heads.
Sirius has had WSM from Nashville since the beginning and i don't think the NAB has ever bothered them about that.

The way im reading it clear channel is programming the regional stations. So it would kind of be ironic if the NAB freaked out about stations being programmed by a member of the NAB.

RE: NAB...It's not about the programming or programmer, it is about the method of delivery (Satellite instead of Terrestrial)

hwkn said:
Too bad they're dumping MusicLab instead of one of the easy listening channels aka music to sleep by.
Come on --In Cleveland this is the only place it is possible to hear "real" music. There are still a few of us old fogies around you know. And our money is just as good as anyone elses. By the way, the new easy listening channel is the ONLY one that is to be commercial free unlike the CC one. So how is it possible to dump one of them when there is only one?

mattb said:
Seems like XM has limited bandwidth and ditches one thing to put something else there. Does satellite radio really need all those channels of clear channel talk?

These new talk stations are using a different bit rate. You can hear the new bit rate on the WLW channel. It's very clear and doesn't have the flanging and artifacting that the other talk channels have. The new settings for WLW and the Clear Channel talk channels are very pleasing to hear. The other talk channels are sounding pretty bad now, almost as bad as Sirius.

I'm hoping against hope they will use these new settings on the rest of the talk channels and then put the higher quality bit rates on the music channels that lost them earlier this year.

aegrotatio said:
These new talk stations are using a different bit rate. You can hear the new bit rate on the WLW channel. It's very clear and doesn't have the flanging and artifacting that the other talk channels have. The new settings for WLW and the Clear Channel talk channels are very pleasing to hear. The other talk channels are sounding pretty bad now, almost as bad as Sirius.

I'm hoping against hope they will use these new settings on the rest of the talk channels and then put the higher quality bit rates on the music channels that lost them earlier this year.

According to Wikipedia, Clear Channel's is contractually guaranteed 409.6 kbps of XM bandwidth. It's no suprise their channels sound better because they're dipping into a different cookie jar than the rest of the XM programming.

GeorgeLV said:
According to Wikipedia, Clear Channel's is contractually guaranteed 409.6 kbps of XM bandwidth. It's no suprise their channels sound better because they're dipping into a different cookie jar than the rest of the XM programming.
409.6 why .6 wasnt 409 enough?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts