XM - Home Install / Pointing

camweb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
ThunderBay.ON.CA
I bought a Roady 2 and home kit while in the U.S. and am attempting to point the supplied antenna. I can't seem to pull in any sort of signal, are there any tips? Once I lock in a signal I'd like to mount the antenna on the wall or ceiling, is one better than another? Thanks for any help.

You need a southern view of the sky. The nice thing about the antenna is that it works well through windows. I usually put mine on a window sill and point it toward either southwest or southeast. (My house does not have any south-facing windows).

I'm in Thunder Bay, Ontario, about three and a half hours North of Duluth, not sure if that puts us in the East or West, because we're pretty close to the center of Canada.

I'm actually installing it on my office desk, but the nearest window is in a server room. Stupid question, but does the antenna have to be pointing through a windows, I imagine it would.

Yea if you point it southward you should be ok. It does have to be in a window.
I dont think XM will give service if you use a Canadian Address, not to sure but I think they only offer service to the US.

Yes, I've been able to activate the system using a relatives billing address, and I was able to get a good signal and all of the subscribed channels while in the US. Now I just have to get it working up here with all of the rain and snow.

I use a Delphi personal XM transmitter at some work sites. I set the Delphi personal XM transmitter at the window where I receive the signal and then use the I can use the XM radio at my desk. The range is advertised at 75 feet. I have unscientifically tested the range (used a tape measure) and had an unblocked range (no wall between) of 125 feet. With two walls, containing metal studs, the range decreased to 102 feet.

Good luck and enjopy,
Bob

i can tell you i just bought an xm boombox bundle last week. it is sitting on a window sill and i'm picking up 3 bars. it should be noted that my directv dish is outside the same window. hope that helps!!

I just set one up for a guy in an office building. I was fearing that I would have to put the antenna in a window sill. The room it is in, is in the middle of the building, (no windows). I had to set it up in there because that's where the phone system is, and I was tying the XM radio into that. The nearest window was in the next room, and there was a drywall wall, even above the ceiling tiles dividing it. Just for grins I connected the antenna and was suprised to see that it got 2 bars! So I poped open one of the ceiling tiles and set the antenna up there, and got three bars! Keep in mind that there was still drywall, wood trusses, plywood, tar paper and shingles between the satellite and antenna.

The receiver was a skyfi 2 and it came with the home kit.

you always have the option of getting xm radio online. you won't get all the channels but you get something. i heard that suggestion on the jazz station i've become fond of.

If your in Canada you have to place it in a window untill thay launch there service in Canada. It won't work through walls up here yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)