XM MERGER IS A DONE DEAL!!!

Finally, I have been waiting to buy a new radio, Since some of the XM content looks good, Now we wait and see what will be offered and how much the hibrid radio will cost.

Sirius was profitable, XM wasn't. XM kept spending and spending to the point they took out another note in the last couple of days for close to $700 Million to keep them on the air... (BTW, I'm a XM sub, as it was the only service available w/my Prius that would work through the complete system).

This doesn't stand well for competition as it opens Pandora's Box on future issues.

I don't agree with the merger and it was done along party lines; the Commission consists of 3 Republicans and 2 Democrats... guess how they voted?

Commissioner Martin, a Bush appointee, pushed the entire issue, along with the White House...

Let's just see where we end up in 5 years?

Sirius was profitable, XM wasn't.

I thought neither company has made a profit? This was the reason of the merger I thought.

http://investor.sirius.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=309808
"SIRIUS reported a first quarter 2008 net loss of ($104.1) million, or ($0.07) per share, an improvement of 28% over first quarter 2007 net loss of ($144.7) million, or ($0.10) per share. The adjusted loss from operations for first quarter 2008 improved 53% to ($39.5) million, as compared to the adjusted loss from operations of ($84.0) million in first quarter 2007."

Hopefully this means soon I can add my factory XM radio to my Sirius account.

Sirius was profitable, XM wasn't. XM kept spending and spending to the point they took out another note in the last couple of days for close to $700 Million to keep them on the air... (BTW, I'm a XM sub, as it was the only service available w/my Prius that would work through the complete system).

This doesn't stand well for competition as it opens Pandora's Box on future issues.

I don't agree with the merger and it was done along party lines; the Commission consists of 3 Republicans and 2 Democrats... guess how they voted?

Commissioner Martin, a Bush appointee, pushed the entire issue, along with the White House...

Oh Please.

You sound like a know-it-all. Yes, let's see in 5 years where we are. Hopefully you won't be a customer so you can keep your opinions to yourself while I enjoy more programming than I receive now. You should be pizzed like me at how corrupt and money grubbing our government officials are on the whole instead of being against these two companies merging.

To see you try to put this on a particular political party shows how little you know. Have you noticed how no one in gov wanted this to go through because they all had their pockets filled with NAB money? And I'm talking across the board, Dem and Rep. This doesn't benefit Reps in any way, if so, pllleeassee educate me.

I thought neither company has made a profit? This was the reason of the merger I thought.

SIRIUS Satellite Radio -
"SIRIUS reported a first quarter 2008 net loss of ($104.1) million, or ($0.07) per share, an improvement of 28% over first quarter 2007 net loss of ($144.7) million, or ($0.10) per share. The adjusted loss from operations for first quarter 2008 improved 53% to ($39.5) million, as compared to the adjusted loss from operations of ($84.0) million in first quarter 2007."

You Sir, are correct. I guess someone didn't do any research.

SIRIUS Satellite Radio -

Tate is correct; NEITHER has made a profit. I am a Sirius users and actually prefer this buyout of XM as the best thing for the current market.

...and on the Dish DirecTV deal; id Dish keeps having the same issues as of late; we could very well see an attempt by DirecTV (or their parent company) to BUY Dish up. Getting it approved would be another matter.

I apologize... I should have said, moving towards profitability...

I'm upset... I think it, the wrong decision, as it will set, the wrong precedence... opening a whole new can of worms...

The whole thing, to me, reeks of nepotism...

Next... it could, potentially be, DirecTV and Dish...

All I'm trying to say, I'm for competition... as it promotes and encourages an environment of contestant progress... and evolution...

I don't know everything... But I feel, it was not a wise decision...

I'm also thinking... of all those, who work for both companies, who will now be seen as redundant... people are going to be hurt... out of work... over what...

Put into perspective... in this present economic environment... it'll be damn difficult, for all those put out to pasture, to find work... provide... now what?

It is truly sad...

I have to completely disagree.

1) Neither XM nor Sirius turned a profit. I was a stock holder for both and one of my major projects for my MBA was on XM.
2) If there was not a merger then there would be less competition due to one or both companies going out of business.
3) The politics behind it are no different than anything else. However, please remember that it was a Democratic administration that signed the Communications Act of 1996 that created the deregulation of the radio industry, and allowed Clear Channel to become the beheamoth it is today.
4) XM/Sirius still has plenty of competition. Terrestrial radio, internet radio, as well as mp3 players and other devices. If Democrats were concerned about consumers and competition they would pass the IREA (Internet Radio Equality Act) that would allow internet radio to flourish instead of having its growth slowed by government determined royalties. Instead they tried to pass on more royalties and have them apply to traditional radio.
5) Should in the next 3-4 years XM/Sirius does not deliver compelling content at a reasonable price then subscribers will simply drop. Again they are not a true monopoly as there are other options for audio content. Also, the FCC could always approve another company to enter the market, if there was one willing to make the investment and take the risk.

I'm upset... I think it, the wrong decision, as it will set, the wrong precedence... opening a whole new can of worms...

All I'm trying to say, I'm for competition... as it promotes and encourages an environment of contestant progress... and evolution...

I'm also thinking... of all those, who work for both companies, who will now be seen as redundant... people are going to be hurt... out of work... over what...

Put into perspective... in this present economic environment... it'll be damn difficult, for all those put out to pasture, to find work... provide... now what?

It is truly sad...
It's sad that you're view of this is so obtuse. Fact of the matter is that this is a great merger and we as customers will benefit from lower prices and better equipment. End of story.

It is truly sad...

Nepotism is if the XM/Sirius execs were related to the FCC commisioners.

Competition is good but there is still plenty of competition in the market, satellite radio is simply a sector of a wide and expanding marketplace.

Under the current plan I don't see many losing their jobs as they plan to continue to operate both services under one company, which means there will be very little redundancy in positions. Also, losing your job in radio is a fact of life that those who enter that profession accept from day 1. It will not be the first time they have been downsized in radio or fired for other reasons and it won't be the last.

Also our current economic environment is not that bad. Compared to how it was 2 years ago, yes its tougher, but overall its still not bad outside of banking and real estate.

Also how do you think the economic envirionment will be after Emperor Obama takes over and has a rubber stamp Pelosi/Reed congress increase capital gains tax to 28% along with increasing the corporate tax rate which is already the highest in the world. You will see unemployment reach levels not seen since 1932.

I'm trying to find the nepotism link here, is Jeb Bush running XM? nah its probably Neil he is the corrupt one...

Now onto the non sarcastic response, I'm lost on the competition stand point, how is competition good if it is killing both companies? and how are the thousands of terrestrial radio stations not a competition? especially seeing as those are FREE and XM/Sirius is a PAY service. Satellite radio is a luxery and you have a choice! It doesn't matter if there price rockets to $30 a month its still a choice, the average person isn't being forced into this. In the situation of Telco's or utilities thats where these decisions really effect people because they get stuck with no competition on a product they are forced to have.

Personally I dropped XM because I never listened to it anymore. i enjoyed the service, but I found myself never using it. I had them for 4 years now, and just got rid of them. It would not matter if they doubled their channels and halved their costs I still would not get it again.

All I am saying is you have your merger conspiracy theories mixed up. IF it keeps a service going (read: not bankrupt) and it doesn't screw anybody (read: you have a choice if you get it) then it is not a bad thing, but actually a positive thing that might actually keep Satellite radio around for those who do enjoy their services like people who drive long distances.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts