Xm Or Sirius

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

XM or SIRIUS

• Total voters
Tate Satellites said:
Do you have to sign a contract for sirius.

The one thing I like about xm is I bought my radio for 6 bucks from bestbuy because it was only 30 to start with and after I ate mcdonalds for 3 weeks straight.

O&A 202

No normally you do not have to sign a contract or keep service for X amount of time. However in the past on certain deals with sirius and XM as well they made you keep service for like 3 or 6 months.

XM if you like a deeper catalog. Sirius if you prefer more recognisable fare. Xm if baseball is more important to you, Sirius if football is..... XM for O & A. Sirius for Howard (in a few weeks).

You can choose month to month, 6 mos per, year to year, and life-time; at one time (not sure now) there was a per quarter selection.

Actually, I keep hoping that someone will invent a plug and play radio that receives BOTH services. I'd pay to have both Baseball and Football simulcasts available to me in my car....

BobMurdoch said:
Actually, I keep hoping that someone will invent a plug and play radio that receives BOTH services.

Not a problem, Boss... The alpine head units support both services. There are also some home versions available, but they are quite pricey. Crestron makes a modular tuner, with modules for AM, FM, XM, and Sirius. You can mix and match the modules for your neccessity.

optimusprime said:
I'd disagree. I won't say that Sirius' equipment is oodles better, but XM certainly does not have "better" equipment.

What does Sirius have to compare to either the Roady 2 for size/convienience or the My-Fi for portability/recording? Every one of their units I've seen is bulkier than XM and is not as capable.

dturturro said:
What does Sirius have to compare to either the Roady 2 for size/convienience or the My-Fi for portability/recording? Every one of their units I've seen is bulkier than XM and is not as capable.

HUH!?!

Windows/Mac - Sirius/XM

One isn't any more or less than 1% different or beter or worse. Just chosee YOUR best fit based on any program offerings you might need in addition to the music. If all you want is the music, you can't go wrong either way. GEEZ!

XM Roady2 - Look at the Sirius One, Starmate Replay2, XACT Visor, XACT XTR2 or 7

XM My-Fi - Sirius S50

Last edited:
I don't understand the logic that there is a 1-2% difference in music. How could that possibly be true? Both jazz channels play the same stuff? Both christian channels play the same stuff? I think it's subjective to who the PD is, and who the DJ is on the channel. On sirius hard attack (27), sometimes it's very repetitive and lame, other times (DJ's) it's very widespread and excellent.

I think both services are fairly different. To be able to say one is better you really need to be experienced with both and most people just aren't.

Tate Satellites said:
Are there really any difference in the two, besides the talk shows the offer. Which one do you prefer.
P.S.
O & A ROCK 202
If you are a Baseball fan, its XM. Just had one of the greatest summers of my life being able to listen to all the games.

charper1 said:
HUH!?!

Windows/Mac - Sirius/XM

One isn't any more or less than 1% different or beter or worse. Just chosee YOUR best fit based on any program offerings you might need in addition to the music. If all you want is the music, you can't go wrong either way. GEEZ!

XM Roady2 - Look at the Sirius One, Starmate Replay2, XACT Visor, XACT XTR2 or 7

XM My-Fi - Sirius S50

Ok, I checked out the items listed and I'm still not sold on the Sirius HW. The XTR7 is a pretty ggod match to the Roady 2 but the others all seem too big for a "portable" unit.

Does the S50 have a built in FM modulator? It says something about a home/car dock so I wouldn't think so. Also, both the My-Fi and Roady 2 are both over a year old now, I'm interested in seeing what the next generation of XM hardware will have in store.

As a single unit I must say I'm impressed with the Starmate replay 2. Does anyone have some first hand reviews of this product?

Purogamer said:
I don't understand the logic that there is a 1-2% difference in music. How could that possibly be true? Both jazz channels play the same stuff? Both christian channels play the same stuff? I think it's subjective to who the PD is, and who the DJ is on the channel. On sirius hard attack (27), sometimes it's very repetitive and lame, other times (DJ's) it's very widespread and excellent.
I think both services are fairly different. To be able to say one is better you really need to be experienced with both and most people just aren't.
I have experienced both, and after a week and a half with xm in my car I bought a conversion box yanked out the xm module and installed the sirius module.
xm plays the most obscure music, and yeah sirius can be repetitve but it's a SH** load better i'd say there's a 50-75% difference from my experience. also XM doesn't really have a metal channel anymore so that was the nail in the coffin for xm.
although while I had xm I did here a jello biaffra single........:eek:

dturturro said:
Ok, I checked out the items listed and I'm still not sold on the Sirius HW. The XTR7 is a pretty ggod match to the Roady 2 but the others all seem too big for a "portable" unit.
Does the S50 have a built in FM modulator? It says something about a home/car dock so I wouldn't think so. Also, both the My-Fi and Roady 2 are both over a year old now, I'm interested in seeing what the next generation of XM hardware will have in store.
As a single unit I must say I'm impressed with the Starmate replay 2. Does anyone have some first hand reviews of this product?
Bought the replay unit in Sept. So far, the only complaint that I have is that the buttons on the unit & remote are small (guess I shouldn't expect them to be big on such a small unit).
It's great for things like, say you were busy & away from your radio; you return just in time to hear the end of one of your favorite songs (or good bits from the Stern crew)--just hit one button & you're back at the beginning of the song (or segment).
It only saves ~44 minutes, but for the savings compared to the S50, it makes a great deal as far as I'm concerned.
Good luck!

i have to major disagree with last post,with sirius coming out with a lot of innovative equipment and adding a record number of subs so far this quarter,i would say that sirius is the clear industry pioneer.

Sirius really needs to have a satellite-ready home receiver model like xm has. For some reason neither company seems too interested in getting this into the home. Whether they're not sold that their satellites can handle it or whatever I don't know, but I feel the in-home options are kind of lacking. What's the point of a boombox that you've got to hook up an ipod to in order to get other music besides the satellite? Where's the on-board mp3 cd player?

I need to buy a sirius unit for howard but I really am not blown away by anything considering I have to buy a home docking kit and hook it up to either the stereo or computer just to get it going. Just seems like extra hurdles to me...

I don't think it's so much a matter of the satellites not handling it. I think the home market just isn't really there. Why spend oodles of money on a home receiver when you can dock your sportster and get the exact same signal. Leave your Sirius remote in the house.

I think the other problem is sound quality. XM/Sirius both aren't anywhere near CD quality. FM broadcasts (non-HD) still sounds better quality wise. This will really show up in a home stereo vs most car stereos.

Sirius sounds somewhere between AM (but in stereo) to close to FM depending on the channel. Most of the music sounds flat - like low bitrate MP3s. I'm told that XM is about the same SQ wise.

This was my only dissapointment with Sirius. It isn't horrible by any means and it sure beats absolutely nothing on road trips, but I expected better.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
The other nail in the coffin was that XM seems to have HUGE antennas vs the dollar coin sized ones that the Sirius radios have.

The XM antennas, especially the ones coming with the SkyFi2 and Roady Xt are quite small, about the size of a quarter. As opposed to the Silver dollar size (and shape) antenna that comes with the Sirius Replay.

BTW. That’s pretty funny Shawn you commenting about the size of antennas, Look at your avatar. :haha

onsiteSat said:
BTW. That’s pretty funny Shawn you commenting about the size of antennas, Look at your avatar. :haha
I get a mental picture of my convertable going down the road with a BUD coming out of the trunk - lol.

As you noted and was brought up in another thread, the new XM radios have a much smaller antenna. That is a very nice and much needed improvement on their part :hatsoff: .

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
I don't think it's so much a matter of the satellites not handling it. I think the home market just isn't really there. Why spend oodles of money on a home receiver when you can dock your sportster and get the exact same signal. Leave your Sirius remote in the house.

I think the other problem is sound quality. XM/Sirius both aren't anywhere near CD quality. FM broadcasts (non-HD) still sounds better quality wise. This will really show up in a home stereo vs most car stereos.

Sirius sounds somewhere between AM (but in stereo) to close to FM depending on the channel. Most of the music sounds flat - like low bitrate MP3s. I'm told that XM is about the same SQ wise.

This was my only dissapointment with Sirius. It isn't horrible by any means and it sure beats absolutely nothing on road trips, but I expected better.

Shawn

My XM sounds great. How does your system come through your radio?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)