XM PCR and extension cable (50 foot)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PhuckNut

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Has anyone used the Terk 50 foot extension cable and use it with the XM PCR?

I just recently moved my office from one side of the house that had reception to the other side that does not. I am going to run the extension cable from the room to the other side of the house and then attempt to mount the antenna on the out side.

The Terk antenna mentions "Amplifier" Anyone know what kind of amplifier is happening here? There is no power to it - so I assume its magical amplification :)

Good question, I was going to mount a Terk Sir6 antenna along with the Terk extension cable today but I only had 2 masonary screws so I will have to put it off till I get to the hardware store. I was wondering about the amp on the extension also, makes no sence to me.

The website offers no information at all... it does mention that it has an amplifier - so I dunno - the geek thats running around my brain wants me to take it apart... I might have to - just to see inside. I Also know that this part is never going to be in the weather so I am ok with taking it apart and breaking its seal.

Oh well.. I will report back if I take it apart.

It's Apart...

Ok, I took it apart. I do not recommend it - but I noticed mine had a break in the seal and all it took was a little prying with the flat head screw driver and it opened it right up.

First - the glue / seal on mine was horribly DRY - it was almost flaking off - this along with the gap in a part of it allowed mine to open easily.

Second, after some research, they are using what is called an "active" amplifier (which I thought was considered a passive amp - but its been years since engineering classes) that uses the existing "electricity" (thats what radio waves are once you hit the antenna, they feed this electricity and force it to power the circuit. HOWEVER, you are taking away a little bit of the signal you are getting too do this - so I hope its a good ckt :)

Simple PCB, surface mount components, nice solder glue job on the connectors of the cable. The connector for the antenna is below the board and I am not gonna break it all apart just cua I actually need to use this thing.

I will try and post pics if I can later.

Thanks for the performing the operation on the patient. Mine will be outside, since you said the glue seemed dried out do you suggest putting some silicone caulk around the seam? Mine looks real tight but out in the weather who knows how long that seal will last. I guess it would not hurt to to put some caulk on it.

I took pics of it and will post them - but I saw your questions and figured I would answer them to what I would do - not sure if its what you're supposed to do or anything.

At radio schnack they sometimes have instock - rarely- but sometimes - they have a jelly paste - I would use that around the connectors.

I am not sure if I would put any silocone on it. If you read the back of the stupid bag top it states that you should not expose it to EXTREME conditions... WTF does that mean???? I mean, its 30 degrees out, is that extreme? or are they talking about severe minisota stuff like 10 below?

If you are ok with probably voiding any warrenty on it. then - I would probably place a super tiny mini bead and run your finger around it to smooth it and try to keep it just on the seam.

the boot is another story - you do want to be able to disconnect this thing in the future (even if it is to reconnect a new cable cuz this one rotted or something) so I dunno about the boot. It seem s they are very certain you should only HANG the cable a certain way (vertical, boot on the bottom as to not let any water settle on the connector area.

Crap - this is long winded - Sorry - I will be back after I figure out my signal issues. Right now - I am not too thrilled with the cable after running it in a quick (just on the floor) cuz the signal sucks - big time.

I will report back later with pics (if anyone cares considering its just you and I hanging out in this thread) and I hope to have better signal.

Inside the Terk connector...

Not sure how large an image I can post here - but here is the inside:

CRW_8574.Terk.XM50FT.Extension-web-.jpg

Seems pretty solid.

I would be amazed if the amp was using the radio "ether" for power. I am not sure you can capture much more than .1 microwatt...and this has caps that are rated for 16 volts...are you sure there isn't a DC feed coming up the coax from the receiver? Just wondering...

Dr.Woo said:
I would be amazed if the amp was using the radio "ether" for power. I am not sure you can capture much more than .1 microwatt...and this has caps that are rated for 16 volts...are you sure there isn't a DC feed coming up the coax from the receiver? Just wondering...

thats a totally valid point. the only thing I can think of is that the AMP works when used with a powered unit and NOT the XM PCR... The XM PCR is only powered by USB which is something like 5v 500-1000 mAh (i have gotten 1000mAh from USB ports to power or charge devices). Even with step up transforming that power, why would you inject power to the antenna - especially from the radio side which is the farthest point from this connector?

I dunno - there isn't anything in google or ask or yahoo about this cable or anyone else looking for these answers...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)