XM sending out email addressing FCC interference issues for older models.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
I got this today..........

Dear XM Subscriber,

The FCC has notified XM that some of our older receiver models (generally, those purchased before August, 2006) may not operate in the manner required by the FCC and may cause interference to nearby FM radio users depending on how the XM radio is installed or used.

The receiver models include the Roady2®, SKYFi2®, MyFi®, Airware®, Tao, RoadyXT®, Xpress™, Sportscaster, XR9-XCX9, Jensen JXR9, inno®, Helix™, and Nexus®. Please note this notice does not apply to you if your new car came installed with an XM receiver.

If you do have one or more of the receivers mentioned above and use it with the wireless FM option or you have had the receiver professionally installed, then we have several options available at no cost to you to alleviate this possible interference. Please visit our website at www.xmradio.com/fmmodinfo or call us toll-free at 866-410-0096 to choose one of the following three options:

Option A:
We will send you ferrite beads to attach to your XM antenna and power adaptor cables. (Ferrite beads are typically placed on the end of data cables to reduce interference.)

Option B:
We will send you a replacement cassette adapter to use with your XM radio. Only choose this option if your car radio has a cassette player.

Option C:
If your car does not have a cassette player, we will provide you with ferrite beads and an installation kit, with hardware, to use in connection with a professional installation of your radio along with a coupon redeemable at no charge for professional installation.

Please visit the website for more information and to select your option. If you do not have access to the Internet, you may call 866-410-0096 for information on how to alleviate this possible interference. To help expedite your order, please have your 8-digit Radio ID (found on Channel 0 of your XM radio) and your FCC ID (found on the back, the bottom, or under the battery of your XM radio), available when you start this process.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Best Regards,
XM Management

Note - If you are using your XM radio's FM modulator to send the XM signal to a home or car stereo, your radio will work best if you use an unused FM frequency. Go to www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant to find the best FM frequencies to use in your area.

OK, this is actually not bad at all for me. I LIKE my receiver and was trying to forestall swapping it out for a neutered new one. I'll be sending for the option A. Yup, I'll jump on attaching them myself......

This is better than the onerous receiver turnoff that I thought was coming.... It also doesn't address those folks who installed an FM transmitter on their old SkyFi 1 installations, which I'm sure have the same issue.....

I have one of the old MyFi with a strong FM transmitter so I opted for Option C.

I will not use the direct connect for the MyFi, but rather I will change my wife's RoadyXT from SureConnect to direct connect!

I'm sure this all has to do with the merger and rectifying their sins of the past with the FCC.

That's what it is.... As part of the bribe they had to pay to get the merger approved, um, I'm sorry, settlement of outstanding litigation, they paid STFU "fines" to the FCC and agreed to solve their issue about their receivers being too powerful and creating interference....

Which is ironic, because the problem in NJ is that all the terrestrial radio stations are making too much interference with my sat radios to the point that I can't keep a strong signal.....

So send me my ferrite beads and I'll dutifully put them on my unit..... Yup, I'll get right on that...

Nice of them to offer to rectify the issue, but they want me to go out to my cars and gather the FCCID for all of my radios and then type them in correctly. Well, 2 of my cars are out of state with my children in college - so it's sorta hard for me to do that! Shouldn't they already know this information, since they sold and shipped me the radios? Oh well, I guess I'll choose the "do nothing" option.

Nice of them to offer to rectify the issue, but they want me to go out to my cars and gather the FCCID for all of my radios and then type them in correctly. Well, 2 of my cars are out of state with my children in college - so it's sorta hard for me to do that! Shouldn't they already know this information, since they sold and shipped me the radios? Oh well, I guess I'll choose the "do nothing" option.

I think if you go online and access your account, you can get a list of all your active radios.......

I think if you go online and access your account, you can get a list of all your active radios.......
Hey! Thanks for that thought. Silly enough, I had not thought of doing that ;)

Which brings to question, if they have the info online already, why not just automate the process a bit? Oh well, I'm still leaning towards the "do nothing" option. Thanks for the suggestion though!

It is the rebate syndrome.

They want YOU to do the work, knowing 1/2 the people will do nothing and save them money.

Of course they have the unit id's. People subscribed them. They could also be proactive and send coupon/cards to all people subscribed and involved, but that would cost too much money

Tell people to do something, and they won't. Well know rebate ploy. Offer a rebate, 1/2 the people will not send in for it.

i can see this as being advantageous for some people if they don't get good signal through FM alone, XM and Sirius giving you the hardware to hardwire to the antenna, but really it would be more of a nuisance to me as my sportster works just fine, (as a matter of fact the power of the FM modulater, i always looked at as a great feature)

I'm just concerned that if I ignore it, I will wind up getting a threatening notice that they will deactivate the radios if I don't. Sending away for the beads should get me off the list.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)