Xtreme and Xtreme ll LNBF

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sksatellite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between these two LNBF. The specs looks the same to me.

Xtreme II has a metal casing whereas the Xtreme I has plastic.

I personally like the original as the II the coax sticks out on the side for 0 skew (the skew is different on the II than the original)

Xtreme II specs:

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]
xtreme2shipmark.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Input Frequency[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]11.7~12.2 GHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Output Frequency[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]950~1450 MHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Noise Figure[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]0.3 dB typ.[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Gain[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]62~66 dB[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Gain Ripple[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]<5 dB typ.[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Local Oscillator Frequency[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]10.750 GHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Local Oscillator Phase Noise (typ)[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]1 KHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]-65 dBc/Hz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]10 KHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]-95 dBc/Hz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]100 KHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]-110 dBc/Hz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Local Oscillator Stability[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]+/- 1 MHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Current Consumption[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]< 100 mA[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Image Rejection[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]> 40 dB[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Horn Type [/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Offset[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]F/D Ratio[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]0.5 ~ 0.7[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Cross Pol Isolation[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]> 20 dB[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Image Rejection[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]45 dB (min.)[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Output VSWR[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]2.5:1 (max.)[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Output Connector[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]75 ohm F type female[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Operation Voltage[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]11.5 ~ 14.0 V for Vertical[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]16.0 ~ 19.0 V for Horizontal[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Operating Temperature[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]-40ºC ~ +60ºC[/FONT]

And Xtreme specs:
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Input Frequency[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]11.7~12.2 GHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Output Frequency[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]950~1450 MHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Noise Figure[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]0.3 dB typ.[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Gain[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]50~62 dB[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Gain Ripple[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]<5 dB typ.[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Local Oscillator Frequency[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]10.750 GHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Local Oscillator Phase Noise (typ)[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]1 KHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]-65 dBc/Hz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]10 KHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]-95 dBc/Hz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]100 KHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]-110 dBc/Hz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Local Oscillator Stability[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]+/- 1 MHz[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Current Consumption[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]< 100 mA[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Image Rejection[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]> 40 dB[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Horn Type [/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Offset[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]F/D Ratio[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]0.5 ~ 0.7[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Cross Pol Isolation[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]> 20 dB[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Image Rejection[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]45 dB (min.)[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Output VSWR[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]2.5:1 (max.)[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Output Connector[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]75 ohm F type female[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Operation Voltage[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]11.5 ~ 14.0 V for Vertical[/FONT]
[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]16.0 ~ 19.0 V for Horizontal[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Operating Temperature[/FONT][FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]-40ºC ~ +60ºC[/FONT]

So the only difference in specs is the 4-12 db improvement in Gain. If the signal is strong for the channel you want, there should not be a difference.

The sales literature says the difference is "All metal housing for better shielding, better performance and less interference."

Lastly and most importantly, read the review of the Xtreme II by our own PSB at:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=44799

Last edited:
I just wish theyd make it with dual outputs ...
Yes, me too.
I've scoured the various store sites, and the only 0.3db dual standard LNBF is the Invacom that also has the 2 circular ones (that I don't need - ain't no circular Ku at 97West), and so is much more expensive.

How about a dual-output standard 0.4db for $15..20 ? (shipped)
I've been meaning to buy a couple of the cheapies and test 'em against my Invacom.
Aren't there plenty of hot birds that don't require the very best LNB on every dish...?

I was even thinking of getting some linear band-stacked Dish LNBs for grins...
... but I need to test them, too.
I think they're more like 0.6db...?

where you find 0.4db for $15 shipped ?

Im farther north and therfore probably out of the spot beam of some of these sats, ie 87 I can get pbs montana fine and the arabic ones, but the main pbs channel is barley there.

I think Anole is referring to the generic 0.4db Dual Standard Linear LNBFs that you see on ebay - the pictures look exactly like DMS International's ASC322 (which is 0.5db) - but the specs say 0.4db.

Several possibilities (all guesses):

- The 0.4db is a lie by the ebay sellers, or their distributors, or the manufacturers, OR
- It's the same product as the ASC322, but recently they have improved the quality slightly, and it now genuinely specs at 0.4db, OR
- It's the same product as the ASC322, and the factory noticed that the noise figure is slighly less than 0.5db, so they are rounding it down now in the marketing material.

PS I actually ordered one (generic on ebay), so I will report back as to how it performs against my Xtreme II when it arrives sometime this week...

Last edited:
too many LNB choices

I have a nice single output Invacom, but with more dishes around to play with, . . .
I had been looking for some cheap LNBs to put on them.

I found DishPro bandstacked units at a swap meet for... uhhh.. I think they were $15 but included a circular as well.
The only real down side is physical mounting, and maybe the oval horn... oh, and what might wind up being 0.6db (not sure).
The bandstacking is as good as dual output, if you know what to do with it.

I found some $6.95 LNBs at IvyStonePlace, but the shipping was outrageous.
They had single output and no DB spec.
Was all ready to buy a few when I ran into the fact that my cost doubled when I put the shipping onto the order.

Then, a place which is actually near me (EvolutionFTA) had the above mentioned DMS clones rated 0.4db and under $20 shipped.
I'd already gotten a $15 price if I did a pick-up, but hadn't driven by there , yet.
Now, they've lowered the price a couple of bucks, but the rating is 0.6db.

This thread has brought my attention to the Xtreme LNBs, which are reasonably priced, if shipping isn't outrageous.
The single output is a disadvantage.

Decisions, decisions. ;)

Evolution is where I ordered it from... if they actually shipped it, I should have it Tuesday or Wednesday (but the weather here is snow, so I would not be able to try it until Thursday or more likely Friday)... they did say that they only had one of the 0.4db ones left in stock (but I'm assuming they will eventually get more).

The cheapest source for Xtreme II is our very own member PSB, who has it for $29 shipped. Check out http://www.psbsatellite.com (I know he modestly refrains from self-promotion.)

But this thread also reminds me - Who makes the Xtreme and Xtreme II LNBFs ??

The packaging lists no manufacturer or designer. I know that DMS distributes it, but that's all...

Last edited:
The Dual Standard 0.4db LNBF arrived today, and it is a Megasat MS1075. It does have "Noise Figure 0.4db" on both the box and the LNBF.

I plan to compare the signal quality with the Xtreme II 0.3db LNBF and I'll post that as a separate thread in the FTA Equipment Reviews Forum (right below this Forum), and I'll put a link in this thread (rather than extend this thread any further with more non-Xtreme-related distractions - in fact, I was going to just edit the previous message - to avoid bringing this to the top again, but there seems to be a time limit on editing a message for some reason...).

UPDATE: the Megasat MS1075 review is up at:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=90415

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)