Xtreme II fading? (SKY help)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robertogag

Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Xtreme II fading at night? (PAS9 - SKY help)

I have a Fortec dish 1.2m and xtreme II pointing at PAS9 (I have Mexican service SKY).

I have pretty low signal early morning and stronger signal during the day (even if no clouds)
And lower signal overall than 8 months ago (when I installed)

Is it possible that my lnb is dying?
Times of the day make signal weaker?
Is there anything else better than xtreme II? (I just got the single Invacom and the signal is worse)
Is there a dish better than the fortec 1.2m? (keeping same or close size)

I leave in Dallas, TX

Thanks and best regards

Last edited:
If only at the morning, but a O.K. during the day and night, I would say check the cable or any external connectors between the lnb and receiver.

I have a Fortec dish 1.2m and xtreme II pointing at PAS9 (I have Mexican service SKY).

I have pretty low signal early morning and stronger signal during the day (even if no clouds)
And lower signal overall than 8 months ago (when I installed)

Is it possible that my lnb is dying?
Times of the day make signal weaker?
Is there anything else better than xtreme II? (I just got the single Invacom and the signal is worse)
Is there a dish better than the fortec 1.2m? (keeping same or close size)

I leave in Dallas, TX

Thanks and best regards

Hmmm, sounds like mositure in the coax connector probably at the LNBF. Remove the coax and look at the center conductor. If it's dis-colored black or green, cut it back to where is nice and clean and install a new F connector.

After checking your connections if you still have a problem and want to send the LNBF in, see http://www.dmsiusa.com/ra_form.htm for a RA. It has 1 year warranty. You are also welcome to call if it's more convenient for you. The phone number is 770-874-1079.

Let me know if you have questions,
MrTim

Hmmm, sounds like mositure in the coax connector probably at the LNBF. Remove the coax and look at the center conductor. If it's dis-colored black or green, cut it back to where is nice and clean and install a new F connector.

After checking your connections if you still have a problem and want to send the LNBF in, see http://www.dmsiusa.com/ra_form.htm for a RA. It has 1 year warranty. You are also welcome to call if it's more convenient for you. The phone number is 770-874-1079.

Let me know if you have questions,
MrTim

Thanks MrTim.
I just check the cable and seems ok. I was observing my sky system last night and seems like the issue starts at late night (signal going from 40% to 0% gradually)

Something interesting is that some chanels are clear and some are not even showing (I am not sure which channels are vertical or Horizintal on SKY) Could that be because my dish is 1.2 X 1.32m? Or I need to replace my lnb. I just ordered one more xtreme II and I will send the old back to repair/replace to have back up if that is the case

Very, very, very weird

Very, very, very weird.

I just replaced the LNBF for another xtreme II, replace the cable (quad shielded), re-adjust my dish and I got 4% more signal. From 36% to 40% (PAS9 SKY has always given me pretty low in Dallas with primefocus or this offset).

But…….
At night … 0%

What is going on?

What structure is the dish mounted on?
House?
Pole?
How is it braced against wind, etc?
A picture migh help.

How has the humidity or rain pattern changed since 8 months ago when you installed?

Can you try adjusting the dish at night, or when the signal has slipped some but maybe not all the way to zero?
Can you bring it back up under those conditions?
If so, maybe it would be okay at night and bad in the day...??

What structure is the dish mounted on?
- 3" Pole on concrete (does not move)
- Original Fortec braces
- Will take a picture tonight

How has the humidity or rain pattern changed since 8 months ago when you installed?

- Well... September is more humed and it was working fine

Can you try adjusting the dish at night, or when the signal has slipped some but maybe not all the way to zero?
- No, the window I have at max during the day gives me max at night (Zero with some spikes max) I have tried several times.

Can you bring it back up under those conditions?
- NOPE

I will record the signal several hours with my stand alone TIVO to see the pattern.

One more thing that I forgot is that I am using 3 connectors total from dish to box (dish to wall, distribution place, wall to box).

But if that is a problem, why at night only?

One more thing that I forgot is that I am using 3 connectors total from dish to box (dish to wall, distribution place, wall to box).

But if that is a problem, why at night only?

You certainly have a very strange problem, I have found that signals at night (when cooler) are as good or better than during the day, which is just the opposite of your problem.

Are you running RG6 coax only from LNB to box? And, is the LNB grounded?

How long a coax run do you have? To determine whether it is a coax problem could you, when the signal is going or gone away, hook up a new coax to the LNB and either have the receiver and a small TV outside, or run a temporary line directly from the LNB to the receiver inside.

When the quality goes down to 0% try changing the frequency up/down a few mhz (on one of the active transponders) and see if that will bring the quality back up. If it does, then maybe your LNBF is drifting at night due to colder temp.

Also, make sure you have perfect dish alignment and tight screws.

you could use a hair drier to blow on the lnb at night to see if signal comes back it may have become temp sensitive.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.