Yankee Fan on the Move

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NCNewbie

Original poster
Jan 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'll be relocating to the Charlotte area from NJ next month. Please tell me how I can get the YES channel down there as well as MSG, and what I should expect to pay for these channels. All advice will be greatly appreciated!

I'll be relocating to the Charlotte area from NJ next month. Please tell me how I can get the YES channel down there as well as MSG, and what I should expect to pay for these channels. All advice will be greatly appreciated!

IF, your only worried about the games, then sign up for MLB EI package.

I doubt that you can get these channels in the sports package, seeing they are no longer in your DMA.

Jimbo

Last edited:

Well, I am no expert on this, but since it looks like the best people to answer this are on vacation, I'll take a stab.

1) You'll need to order the sports pack for $10. This will let you view those channels when there are not professional sporting events or some college events are on.

2) When there are blacked out events (i.e. professional or some college), you'll need to subscribe to the respective package. Being a Yankee's fan, you'll need MLB Extra Innings that cost last year $180 and IMHO is a pretty good value. I do not subscribe to it, but my neighbor who is a Yankees fan does, and he loves it.

Hope that tides you over until someone can give a better explanation.

And, welcome to satelliteguys. :) I'm a professional lurker here, that is why I do not have many posts. But, the people here are top notch. They will help answer your questions much better than myself.

why dont you just keep the NJ address? I assume the locals are on spotbeam so you cant get those in NC but the RSN's aren't on spotbeam (at least not that I'm aware of)

Keeping the NJ address will allow all the NY RSNs as well as the 4 major networks to be seen in NC. (2,4,5,7) You won't be able to see channels 9, 11, 13, and anything higher up the dial.

Yeah if you keep your NY address you'll not only get the RSNs but you can keep NYC locals. They are Distant Locals and can be received anywhere.

Hmm... Does this mean that anyone who receives NY/LA "locals" in the lower range also gets the same feeds in the 380's? If that's the case, it would make sense for anyone who couldn't get a spot feed to "live" in either of those major cities (which happen to have network feeds).

Somone I know lives in Buffalo NY and receives MSG, YES etc, plus the NYC HD locals in the 390s. This person simply asked to have his service address changed. He said you can do this anywhere in the US but only for NY and LA locals. He also said he gets his local locals through OTA. He might be pulling my chain. In any event, you shouldnt do it. Even if he's telling the truth it's against your terms of service. :)

I cancelled my Direct TV service in NJ a couple of years ago when I had storm issues and trouble getting Yankee away games on nights when it was raining hard in NJ. I've been using Optimum (IO) ever since without incident, but am now resigned to the likely return to satelite service when my big move occurs and I find myself in NC. Sounds like MLB Extra Innings is a good option. Does anyone have it ? Any problems? Is it true that it will only add $ 10/month to my subscription?

I am a sports fanatic and have all of the sports packages with the exception of NBA and NHL. MLB, with superfan is great. Be forewarned, that with the sportspack,which has MSG,SNY and YES,blackouts are a major pain in the rear.If there is a competting event on your local RSN,you will get the aggravating little message in the lower right corner.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts