Yankees and Braves will be watching the Playoffs this year

First time in this thread, quite amusing how many people have counted OUT the Yankees (who are in first place today with the 2nd best record in baseball).

Let's see how the RedSox do without 2 of their regulars for a while (Varitek and Nixon, who average a combined 135 RBIs a year) opposed to how the Yanks have done wtihout 2 of their regulars almost ALL season (Matsui and Sheff, who average 235 RBIs a season). They are getting healthy at the right time, don't you think?

In my book, the Yanks have the better pitching than the BoSox, they have a better team on the field now, and have come together quite nicely this summer - haven't they?

Oh and for the Mets fans (who play in the weak league, and in a WEAK division), who has the better record this season so far (Yanks). And who has played a WAY SOFTER schedule this season so far (Mets).

Bottom line - weak NL East (and NL overall) has Mets as shoo-in for playoff and favorite to make NL spot of World Series. They will get swept by whoever is the AL entry however IMHO.

ScoBuck said:
who has the better record this season so far (Yanks).

Let's see...Yanks win PCT is .602...Mets .600. Yep...that's a commanding lead ya got there, bud!

Hmmm...how bout Yanks record VS. the Mets: 3&3...if anything, seems we're about even.

ScoBuck said:
They will get swept by whoever is the AL entry however IMHO.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that one. :up

DWS44 said:
Let's see...Yanks win PCT is .602...Mets .600. Yep...that's a commanding lead ya got there, bud!

Hmmm...how bout Yanks record VS. the Mets: 3&3...if anything, seems we're about even.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that one. :up

No one (BUT YOU) used ANY word such as commanding.

I think MOST would agree that with the HUGE injuries (Matsui/Sheffield is 235 RBI/year average) for most of the season, and the FACT that the AL is easliy the HARDER league this year, and thus the tougher schedule for the Yanks as opposed to the Mets, just the fact that they are .002 AHEAD is GREAT. I am trying to figure how many fewer games the Mets might have won without Beltran/Delgado for 3 months each, but it would have to be SOME for sure!

But I don't root against the Mets (except when they play the Yanks) and I certainly wouldn't ROOT for the BoSox if they played the Amazins in the WS, but if I was a BETTING man I would take the Sox (or any AL team vs. any NL team this year).

You guys should just be grateful that your in a non-competitive division THIS year, its a break that most teams don't get that often. I wouldn't be bragging about how they are doing recently - many teams are doing better over the past 30+ days of the season FYI.

Also, rooting against the Yankees (as most Mets fans do out of jealousy), doesn't IN ANY way change how much the METS have STUNK for the past 4 + years.

Last edited:
Sean Mota said:
Two teams that have been to playoffs for a long time and this year they will both seat and watch better teams play in the playoff.

Thought I would ask you to see if you wanted to re-visit your OP.

For a couple of reasons.

1) To re-acknowledge how far down the Braves have fallen this year. Good to see the Mets on top (yeah, I am in NY and root for both, but root for Yanks over Mets).

2) To acknowledge that up to this point in the season, that the Yankees have done a GREAT job in staying not only ALIVE, but having the 2nd best record in baseball DESPITE MAJOR injuries.

3) To state exactly which AL teams are BETTER than the Yankees. I will for sure say the Tigers. Next is ...................................

Sean Mota said:
Yankees have so many problems that I do not think they will be able to resolve them. Starting pitching sucks; bullpen sucks; and too many injured players. The WC will not come from the East as in previous season. Both Yankees and Red Sox are playing for one spot.

Still feel this way? What is your August 4 prediction on this issue?

1) Yankees have WHAT problems?

2) Starting pitching is actually pretty good (better than Boston for sure)

3) Agreed, lots of injuries still (Cano, Matsui, Sheff still ALL out).

4) WC leader is Boston as of Today

5) Which division is playing for 2 spots NOW?

Never have been able to understand the beantown fans. They win a world series and they act as if they have won 25. Never count out the Yankees, they have a owner that will do whatever it takes to win. There are 29 other teams that would love to have Georgie as their owner. GO YANKEES

uhlesses said:
Never have been able to understand the beantown fans. They win a world series and they act as if they have won 25. Never count out the Yankees, they have a owner that will do whatever it takes to win. There are 29 other teams that would love to have Georgie as their owner. GO YANKEES

Frankly, I think we are mostly talking to Mets fans that have BEER MUSCLES.

Don't know about you, but I live here in NY, my family is mixed with Yanks and Mets fans - personally I go to games of both and love baseball - happy when both teams do well, love when both make the playoffs, its the best when both were in the World Series in 2000 (and it ended PERFECTLY THEN TOO). I only root AGAINST the Mets when they play the Yanks.

But what is incredible is how many METS fans root for Boston when Yanks play them, and how much they were gloating earlier in the season when the Yanks got injured, and when the Mets were VERY HOT.

Most Yankee fans DO NOT root against the Mets - they might not root for them, but IMO are not anti-Met (as Mets fans ARE anti-Yankee). They take their JEALOUSY of how well the Yanks have done, and root against them - instead of writing letters to the Mets ownership over the past 5 years and complaining about how poorly the team had been doing.

The Mets have the third highest payroll in baseball (and have been in the top 3 or 4 EVERY year - including when they came in LAST 2 years in a row) - so its NOT like they haven't TRIED to spend money to get into the mix - their management has just had a record of making TERRIBLE decisions.

After last year when the Yankees fought mightily to overtake the RedSox and to get into the playoffs, THIS year with ALL of its problems has felt much easier than last.

RedSox fans, they have short memories. They remember ONLY the GREAT year of '04. They forget Aaron Boone, Bucky Dent, losing a 14.5 game lead in 6 weeks of 1978, the 86 year drought and so on.

They more than ANY OTHER team should know and believe what Yogi said:

"It ain't over until its over"

What kills me is how YANKE$$ fans alway point out how rotten the National Leauge is, when they themselves have fattened up every year for the last decade on the likes of Tampa Bay, Baltimore, and Toronto in their own division - not to mention Kansas City and the other crappy AL teams.

As far as interleague goes, who cares. Two years ago, the Mets won 4 out of 6 from the YANKE$$, and last year and this year they split. Does that mean that in 2004 the Mets were a better team? NO.

Fans should worry about their own teams and let the chips fall where they may. I am a Mets fan, but I have to admit that the YANKE$$ have done a great job getting themselves together this year, both team management and field management. You have to be impressed that they have come all the way back.

Remember, the teams are just doing their jobs, trying to win. When one "hates" another team, what one really "hates" is the other teams fans.

Such is sports in these days of the internet and talk radio.

Let's hope for a subway series, because this time the Mets actually have a good team. Last time their outfield was Agbayani, Payton, and Timo Perez. (How'd we ever make it?) :D

JonUrban said:
What kills me is how YANKE$$ fans alway point out how rotten the National Leauge is, when they themselves have fattened up every year for the last decade on the likes of Tampa Bay, Baltimore, and Toronto in their own division - not to mention Kansas City and the other crappy AL teams.

Guessing you are referring to me - but I looked back and don't see ANY year in the last 10 where EVERY OTHER team in the Yankees division was UNDER 500.

Quite the opposite really, as every single year they have had STRONG competition from WITHIN their division. There have ALSO EVERY YEAR been other strong teams in the AL (this year there are not 2 other strong NL teams).

Secondly, I DID say that it is FORTUNATE for the METS that they have a clear path to the playoffs (not that it was BAD).

There will ALWAYS be crappy teams in BOTH leagues, this year (and even during interleague play they kept saying it) the balance is VERY AL. That's only a fact based on overall records. I don't remember that the balance was ever THIS lopsided.

Stats don't lie

ScoBuck said:
..... as every single year they have had STRONG competition from WITHIN their division.

From the Red Sox, yes. From the entire division? WRONG. Check out the stats from 2000 to 2005. Except for 2000 and 2003 when Toronto was +10 and +4, every other team was below .500. Really tough division :rolleyes:

2005 Toronto 80-82
2005 Baltimore 74-88
2005 Tampa Bay 67-95

2004 Baltimore 78-84
2004 Tampa Bay 70-91
2004 Toronto 67-94

2003 Toronto 86-76 (+10)
2003 Baltimore 71-91
2003 Tampa Bay 63-99

2002 Toronto 78-84
2002 Baltimore 67-95
2002 Tampa Bay 55-106

2001 Toronto 80-82
2001 Baltimore 63-89
2001 Tampa Bay 62-100

2000 Toronto 83-79 (+4)
2000 Baltimore 74-88
2000 Tampa Bay 69-92

The tough NL east gave us the braves in 2 world series. After losing the first 2 games the yanks spanked them 8 in a row. 2 thats a number the Mets fans should be familar with. Thats one more than the beanies have won since the Mets came into the league. The Mets just havent been the same since Pizza broke his bat.

ScoBuck said:
A good lesson to be learned:

Don't Write The Obituary Until You Have Confirmed That The Patient Has Died

lol :hatsoff:

So far you are right about the Yankees. The head piece that I bought I will have to put back on the truck since they are not dead :D however, those Atlanta Braves seem to be in the last breath. Should we just throw away the entire NL and let just the AL play :D

Boy ,
You Yankees fans just keep going back to years gone by, are you the only team on the planet ???

Not to start an arguement, but, Who are the current World Series Champs ???
And the year before that ????

When was the last Yankee bought championship anyway ?

Jimbo

btw, I am not a Chi Sox fan at all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)