Yeah, I have a question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Skyscanner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Sportsman's Paradise Northern Mi
Found this ad in Craigslist Northern Michigan. Someone in Evart, MI wants $125 for their dish and rx and posted:

"The deal of a Lifetime! C-band satellite dish and receiver. This white fiber glass dish is 13' across and looks like new. Comes with a c-band and ku-band LNB. The receiver is a motorola 4DTV DSR-922. Currently mounted on a 15' from the ground, 8" diameter pole which could also be yours. We'll give you whatever accessories we might have forgotten to mention. Questions are welcome."

I guess my question would be: How in the world did it get up there and how in the world can you get it down, and how in the world do you expect to get $125 for it? Seems like you would need at least a bucket truck to get up to loosen the hardware, then use the boom to get it off. I think they might get a better response if they offer $125 [or more] to take that 600 pound monster and its 8 inch diameter pole away! If this is the same one, I have been past it several times and was amazed at how high it was. It looks like it had to be that high to clear the treeline across the road. The thing is so huge it blocks out the sun and their lawn won't grow and if it did, they're probably sick of mowing around it by now.
ss

I'm sure he's getting quite an education about now, concerning the real value of his "Deal of a Lifetime". I've scrounged all the dishes I have and about 20% of the people I approach think they're sitting on a gold mine with their unused dishes. Meanwhile their goldmine continues to corrode away in the weather and sunlight. Maybe the 4D rx would be worth what he's asking if programming is going to be available.
ss

thanks for the laugh:

The thing is so huge it blocks out the sun and their lawn won't grow...
If he'd dumped it a year ago, he could have gotten the $125 for the 922 receiver.
Or he could have used it as a lure to get someone to haul off his giant dish, and 8 inch pole!

You know what he'd have to pay to get that dragged off today?
I wonder if he does? - :rolleyes:

Birdview dishes have a 6 inch diameter thin wall tube, and 10' of it is not bad to handle.
Who knows what 20' piece of 8 inch this guy had installed.
Heck, it could be drill casing! - :eek:

I might consider his price, if he had the dish on the ground... maybe. ;)
edit:
There is good news.
With that much pipe, you'd hack it off at ground level and still have plenty! :)

FatAir
Wasn't really looking for a dish at all, just being nosy. There are at least 8 nice mesh dishes within 5-6 miles from me, haven't asked about availability simply because at least 4 would probably say yes, then what would I do? Deer season just started today and I have a fence to put up and work to do in the orchard. But if I could find a P* dish, I definitely would take time out to snag that.
Their "Deal of a lifetime" sounds more like an ordeal of a lifetime.
ss

Last edited:
I've seen dishes like that...some on the roofs of homes. a 10 foot dish on the roof of the house :eek:

Ice,
I Know where there is what looks like a 6' and another place an 8' mesh on a pole that runs up the gable end of their house. Even those "little" 4" poles look like more of a project than I want to tackle. Whoever installed that 13' monster 15' in the air on an 8" post never wanted it to go anywhere. And it probably won't.
ss

Those giant fiberglass dishes are VERY heavy... A friend and I tried to remove one for someone, and we gave up. The dish weighed at least a couple of hundred pounds, and was 10 feet in the air.

Yeah, he's stuck with that dish for sure, he needs to become its best friend :D ...

I don't know. If I was in the market for a dish that size, I'd consider it. Rent the machinery, get a friend that does construction work to drive it in exchange for pizza and beer after. Sell most of the pole to help pay for the cost, then slap the best KU-band money can buy on it and point it down to try to get china. :p

Or cover the panels with reflective surfacing to make a laser death ray. :p

Seriously though, considering how much those cost new, it would probably be worth it for someone willing to do the work to haul it. It probably does get great signal.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)