Status
Please reply by conversation.

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
So I was with Dish for over ten years and hung out in their forum the whole time (thus the over 3000 posts). When I quit them for cable a few years back, it was also around the time Scott removed the Pit (which I see has returned) and I didn't hang around SatGuys much. Anywho, after a few years of Cable, I'm considering going back to Satellite but my pride won't let jump back to Dish if I can avoid it. So here I am - investigating what DTV has to offer. :)

Can someone please give this old founder a quick rundown on what's new and what's better about Direct TV. I usually go with the top tier package including premiums and must have HD DRVs in two rooms and programming access in 4 others.

Thanks to whomever has the patience to help me out.
WaltinVt

Last edited:
Thanks Scott and nice job with the site - looks great. Hope all is well with you and the family in Connecticut.

So I was with Dish for over ten years and hung out in their forum the whole time (thus the over 3000 posts). When I quit them for cable a few years back, it was also around the time Scott removed the Pit (which I see has returned) and I didn't hang around SatGuys much. Anywho, after a few years of Cable, I'm considering going back to Satellite but my pride won't let jump back to Dish if I can avoid it. So here I am - investigating what DTV has to offer. :)

Can someone please give this old founder a quick rundown on what's new and what's better about Direct TV. I usually go with the top tier package including premiums and must have HD DRVs in two rooms and programming access in 4 others.

Thanks to whomever has the patience to help me out.
WaltinVt

I have Premier Package with DTV. I also have various sports packages like NHL Center Ice,MLB Extra Innings,NBA,& NFL Sunday Ticket. While it can get expensive(mainly because of the sports packages),it is worth it. I signed up before the Genie came out,but I have whole home DVR. What you could do is go with the HR44 Genie,HR24 DVR,H25 receiver(the combination of the three will give you the max of 8 tuners without having to have a SWM16 multi switch installed) with 3 C41 Clients rounding out your other three rooms. Personally I have 1 HR22,1 HR23,1 HR24,1 H24,& 1 H25,so i can't give you any advise on how the Genie runs. Hopefully somebody else who has a genie will tell you what it is like.

I have Premier Package with DTV. I also have various sports packages like NHL Center Ice,MLB Extra Innings,NBA,& NFL Sunday Ticket. While it can get expensive(mainly because of the sports packages),it is worth it. I signed up before the Genie came out,but I have whole home DVR. What you could do is go with the HR44 Genie,HR24 DVR,H25 receiver(the combination of the three with give you the max of 8 tuners without having to have a SWM16 multi switch installed) with 3 C41 Clients rounding out your other three rooms. Personally I have 1 HR22,1 HR23,1 HR24,1 H24,& 1 H25,so i can't give you any advise on how the Genie runs. Hopefully somebody else who has a genie will tell you what it is like.
Thanks Roy,
I can see I have a lot of catching up to do on all the new tech available. When I left Dish 4 years ago, I had a pair of 622s. I understood them pretty well but am not familiar with DTVs receivers or this "Genie" thing at all.

We've always had HD DVR capability in the main living room & family room and then have basic tv access for the kids in 4 other rooms. I probably need to read up on this Genie thing.

Thanks Roy,
I can see I have a lot of catching up to do on all the new tech available. When I left Dish 4 years ago, I had a pair of 622s. I understood them pretty well but am not familiar with DTVs receivers or this "Genie" thing at all.

We've always had HD DVR capability in the main living room & family room and then have basic tv access for the kids in 4 other rooms. I probably need to read up on this Genie thing.

One thing you have to understand is that DTV DVR's/receivers aren't as fast as Dish DVR's/receivers when changing channels. You'll get advise on how to speed up the channel changing process. I have my DVR's/receivers set to native & original content,which others will tell you NOT TO DO. The reason is that the channel has to change to the resolution that that particular channel is broadcast in(1080i,720p,480i) which slows it down. It's not like Dish where you just choose a resolution & leave it at that. It's easier to explain the set up for resolution on DTV DVR's/receivers once you have one in front of you & see the set up on your TV. Then people on this forum can explain the pros & cons of various set ups,like "native," & the best ways you can set up your DVR's/receivers for viewing.

One thing you have to understand is that DTV DVR's/receivers aren't as fast as Dish DVR's/receivers when changing channels. You'll get advise on how to speed up the channel changing process. I have my DVR's/receivers set to native & original content,which others will tell you NOT TO DO. The reason is that the channel has to change to the resolution that that particular channel is broadcast in(1080i,720p,480i) which slows it down. It's not like Dish where you just choose a resolution & leave it at that. It's easier to explain the set up for resolution on DTV DVR's/receivers once you have one in front of you & see the set up on your TV. Then people on this forum can explain the pros & cons of various set ups,like "native," & the best ways you can set up your DVR's/receivers for viewing.

I'll 2nd this.. and say it's worth finding a neighbor/friend with a HR34/HR44 and go use it for 15 minutes, to see what you think. I frequently want to toss my HR34 out the window in frustration (I came from having a Dish 622). They say the HR44 is 'better'.. I haven't used one, so I can't say how much 'better'. One of those things that is very subjective and while it bothers me, might/not bother you.

Another "caveat" on the HR34 (and presumably the HR44)... unless you get C31/C41 "clients" (based on reports), the other kinds of "endpoints" (ie. H25's, or HR24s, etc), don't have full control/access to the recording options on the HR34 (and presumably the HR44). ie. I have an HR34 and 2 H25's. On the H25's I can schedule a recording, and delete a recording.. however I cannot see the list of upcoming recordings, nor edit any of the options with regard to upcoming recordings. When I schedule a recording from the H25, I cannot tell it to pick new-only/repeats/etc.. it will use the default value for that which is set on the HR34. If I accidentally set something to record on the H25, I have to walk down to the HR34 to un-schedule it. Again, based on what I've read, the C31's (and presumably C41s) have better/full access... but most folks here would be talking you in to getting something other than the C31/C41 clients. (do the C31, C41's have trick play?? not sure).
Again, it's not the end of the world.. but certainly less "whole home" than I would have expected.

Unlike many of the folks here, I could probably/easily survive with maybe 3 tuners.. so I'm more critical of the features outside the raw tuner count, which is a deciding factor for many others.

EDIT: 2 other minor nits... no Pandora on my H25 endpoints (not sure if/which other endpoints support it). Also the HR34 will show you movie ratings (ie. like/dislike info) from rotten tomatos, etc. My H25's do not show this info. So it makes scheduling recordings from the H25's a little less useful if you are looking for random movies to record, using the ratings as a way to pick them.

I'll 2nd this.. and say it's worth finding a neighbor/friend with a HR34/HR44 and go use it for 15 minutes, to see what you think. I frequently want to toss my HR34 out the window in frustration (I came from having a Dish 622). They say the HR44 is 'better'.. I haven't used one, so I can't say how much 'better'. One of those things that is very subjective and while it bothers me, might/not bother you.

Another "caveat" on the HR34 (and presumably the HR44)... unless you get C31/C41 "clients" (based on reports), the other kinds of "endpoints" (ie. H25's, or HR24s, etc), don't have full control/access to the recording options on the HR34 (and presumably the HR44). ie. I have an HR34 and 2 H25's. On the H25's I can schedule a recording, and delete a recording.. however I cannot see the list of upcoming recordings, nor edit any of the options with regard to upcoming recordings. When I schedule a recording from the H25, I cannot tell it to pick new-only/repeats/etc.. it will use the default value for that which is set on the HR34. If I accidentally set something to record on the H25, I have to walk down to the HR34 to un-schedule it. Again, based on what I've read, the C31's (and presumably C41s) have better/full access... but most folks here would be talking you in to getting something other than the C31/C41 clients. (do the C31, C41's have trick play?? not sure).
Again, it's not the end of the world.. but certainly less "whole home" than I would have expected.

Unlike many of the folks here, I could probably/easily survive with maybe 3 tuners.. so I'm more critical of the features outside the raw tuner count, which is a deciding factor for many others.

EDIT: 2 other minor nits... no Pandora on my H25 endpoints (not sure if/which other endpoints support it). Also the HR34 will show you movie ratings (ie. like/dislike info) from rotten tomatos, etc. My H25's do not show this info. So it makes scheduling recordings from the H25's a little less useful if you are looking for random movies to record, using the ratings as a way to pick them.

Pandora is supported by the HR DVR's(HR20/HR21/HR22/HR23/HR24/HR34/HR44) but not the H receivers(H21/H23/H24/H25). The 2-tuner HR24 is very excellent & fast for DTV DVR's/receivers. The HR34 Genie,because it has 5-tuners,did have teething problems when it first came out. The 5-tuner HR44 Genie is smaller,because its power source comes from a brick power cord instead of being built into the DVR itself(just like the 1-tuner H25 HD receiver). The HR44 can also connect to your internet router wirelessly.

Having just having come back to Directv from Dish (with two hoppers), I will say, and have stated here before, the HR-44 is finally on par with Dish equipment when it comes to speed.

Edit: and yes, having the C-41 gives you the same DVR control that you would have at the 44 itself.

Having just having come back to Directv from Dish (with two hoppers), I will say, and have stated here before, the HR-44 is finally on par with Dish equipment when it comes to speed.

Edit: and yes, having the C-41 gives you the same DVR control that you would have at the 44 itself.

That's why I recommended getting the HR44,1 HR24,1 H25(for its compactness,otherwise a H24 would do),& 3 C41's for his set up.

good info, thanks!

Whats the patch, 2 field force?

If you get DirecTV go for the free upgrade to Genie. I just got it and its fast and smooth. I have whole home DVR with a Genie, one client and 2 other DVR's. Have been with them 12 or 13 years this time. Had them in 95-6-7 and tried out dish for a year and went back. I have not paid for a DVR in 10 years and the Genie was for being a long term costumer with what they call protection plan.

Thanks for all the info guys. You've given me a lot to digest. One thing I forgot to say is the last two years I've been on cable has been with my own TiVo Premier + 1GB ext HDD. Does anyone have a feel for how the Genie HR-44 compares with the TiVo Premier? For the most part I've been happy with the TiVo interface and performance but one my big gripes has been that that when something goes wrong, TiVo blames Charter Cable and vice-versa.

TiVo keeps saying Charter doesn't know to interface their cable cards and tuning adapters properly with the TiVo receiver but Charter of course blames TiVo. It's hard to argue with Charter since I still have one of their boxes in another room and when TiVo stops but theirs works they insist it's a TiVo problem. Charter is supposed to support TiVo but they loose $18/mo when you don't lease their box, so I'm inclined to wonder. Anyway, I'm tired of being caught in between. I was always happy with the Dish 622 and I've like the Tivo Premier but never liked the Scientific Atlanta HD DVR, so if the HR-44 Genie is on a par with Dish now, I'll probably like it.

Thanks for all the info guys. You've given me a lot to digest. One thing I forgot to say is the last two years I've been on cable has been with my own TiVo Premier + 1GB ext HDD. Does anyone have a feel for how the Genie HR-44 compares with the TiVo Premier? For the most part I've been happy with the TiVo interface and performance but one my big gripes has been that that when something goes wrong, TiVo blames Charter Cable and vice-versa.

TiVo keeps saying Charter doesn't know to interface their cable cards and tuning adapters properly with the TiVo receiver but Charter of course blames TiVo. It's hard to argue with Charter since I still have one of their boxes in another room and when TiVo stops but theirs works they insist it's a TiVo problem. Charter is supposed to support TiVo but they loose $18/mo when you don't lease their box, so I'm inclined to wonder. Anyway, I'm tired of being caught in between. I was always happy with the Dish 622 and I've like the Tivo Premier but never liked the Scientific Atlanta HD DVR, so if the HR-44 Genie is on a par with Dish now, I'll probably like it.

I'm glad you didn't ask about the DIRECTV TiVo & ITS comparison to the TiVo Premier.

I see this site hasn't changed and you guys are still great about helping out. I talked with a DTV sales rep but still have a few questions:
1) If I get the "Premier package, will they automatically include the latest receivers, which I guess is the HR-44 Genie along with all the required little Geniettes?
2) I'm still confused about what's available to all TVs. We have 2 HD TVs and 4 regular TVs, plus various computers, smart-phones, tablets, etc. It sounded like he said all devices could pretty much watch anything, anytime without restrictions. Is that true?
3) Will my TiVo Premier be of any use after I switch or should I sell it?
Thanks again guys.

I see this site hasn't changed and you guys are still great about helping out. I talked with a DTV sales rep but still have a few questions:
1) If I get the "Premier package, will they automatically include the latest receivers, which I guess is the HR-44 Genie along with all the required little Geniettes?
2) I'm still confused about what's available to all TVs. We have 2 HD TVs and 4 regular TVs, plus various computers, smart-phones, tablets, etc. It sounded like he said all devices could pretty much watch anything, anytime without restrictions. Is that true?
3) Will my TiVo Premier be of any use after I switch or should I sell it?
Thanks again guys.

for #1.. Make sure they don't lump HR34's and HR44's in to the same "Its a Genie" bucket .. "you'll get whatever we give you and be thankful for it" :) .... so I've seen other people say they specifically check to make sure there is an HR44 on their installer's truck, or they cancel the installation appt. It's not like they're going to throw their stock of HR34's out.. they'll get foisted on to some unsuspecting customer.. make sure it's not you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.