Yellow Light of Death

AriesGodofWar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Fenton, Mo
After 3 years of faithful service and many good times, my PS3 threw the dreaded Yellow Light of Death yesterday and will be going back to Sony. (Tried reflowing the chipsets to no avail). Did not know anything about YLOD until it happened to me. :mad:

I thought that only happened with XBOX. My PS3 is an older model same age as my first XBOX. I too got tired of repairing and resoldering and even modifying the cooling fans to the point of sounding like a jet engine and still it would overheat the chips on the board. Seems I could always fix it but it kept failing every 2 months or so. Just got tired of spending the 3 hours each time so, since the latest XBOX is a complete redesign, decided to spring for it.

When I would resolder the GPU to the board, I would always brush on Flux and then hit it with a high temperature heat gun watching under a magnifier until the solder just flowed shiny on all connections. It's a skill you have to practice.

I'm right there with you. My 2 and half year old 40GB bit the dust about a month ago. Sad thing is, fearing it was on it's last leg I kept telling myself I'd get a slim before it died so I wouldn't lose the copyprotected content, but then it kept trucking along so I held off. If it had only lasted one more month I could have at least gotten a 160GB rather than the 120GB.

Words to the wise, if they are out of warranty, open them up, take them apart, and get any and all dust out of them. I am sure it did not help that mine had more than I ever would have imagined in it. When I opened mine, it was filled. When I get my refurbished unit, I am going to keep it covered and unplugged when not in use. No "Folding" for me. Not going to risk it. This sucks, no Blu-ray, no BFBC2.. my return box is supposed to be here from Sony today so I can mail my brick back.

I'm right there with you. My 2 and half year old 40GB bit the dust about a month ago. Sad thing is, fearing it was on it's last leg I kept telling myself I'd get a slim before it died so I wouldn't lose the copyprotected content, but then it kept trucking along so I held off. If it had only lasted one more month I could have at least gotten a 160GB rather than the 120GB.

You did not bother to send it back to Sony and get a refurb? I am hoping they will offer me an upgrade to a slim. Not sure if they even bother to refurb the fatties any more. They are charging me $110 for my 40GB plus shipping.... I heard the 60 GB fat boys have been most prone to failure. See: Re: UNOFFICIAL YLOD VICTIMS LIST - Page 97 - PlayStation.com Forums

You did not bother to send it back to Sony and get a refurb? I am hoping they will offer me an upgrade to a slim. Not sure if they even bother to refurb the fatties any more. They are charging me $110 for my 40GB plus shipping.... I heard the 60 GB fat boys have been most prone to failure.
Considering my 60 GB fat boy is the best version out there (PS2 HW emulation), I would never take a slim as a replacement.

Yeah, my 40GB obviously had none of that great stuff like BC or card slots, so I would just take a functioning system at this point. I have not heard of the Slims having the same heatsink-CPU/GPU issues, but that could just be because they have not been in service as long. Pretty sad, I am really missing my system. Just finally dropped it off at Fedex Friday, so the waiting begins.

You did not bother to send it back to Sony and get a refurb? I am hoping they will offer me an upgrade to a slim. Not sure if they even bother to refurb the fatties any more. They are charging me $110 for my 40GB plus shipping.... I heard the 60 GB fat boys have been most prone to failure. See: Re: UNOFFICIAL YLOD VICTIMS LIST - Page 97 - PlayStation.com Forums

Thought about it, but opted to invest in a quieter slim for $300 rather than get a refurb 40GB for $150 (my understanding of what it would cost) that only carries a 90 day warranty (again, my understanding) and can go at any time after that. I don't have enough of a need for a second unit to make it worth my while to also "buy" a refurb fat on top getting the slim. But if Sony does send you back a slim, please update this thread as I might reconsider.

Yeah, my 40GB obviously had none of that great stuff like BC or card slots, so I would just take a functioning system at this point. I have not heard of the Slims having the same heatsink-CPU/GPU issues, but that could just be because they have not been in service as long. Pretty sad, I am really missing my system. Just finally dropped it off at Fedex Friday, so the waiting begins.

lol. I just read this after posting my other response. I actually couldn't wait one single day to be without my PS3, hence part of the reason I went out and bought a slim the day after my 40GB YLOD'd rather than wait for the refurb to arrive in the mail.

Thought about it, but opted to invest in a quieter slim for $300 rather than get a refurb 40GB for $150 (my understanding of what it would cost) that only carries a 90 day warranty (again, my understanding) and can go at any time after that. I don't have enough of a need for a second unit to make it worth my while to also "buy" a refurb fat on top getting the slim. But if Sony does send you back a slim, please update this thread as I might reconsider.

Yep, you are correct on both counts. After shipping it was $148 and the refurb carry a 90 day warranty. I will report back what Sony does. I am hoping I did not make the wrong choice by getting a refurb and instead putting the $148 toward the new unit.

I did sign up at some website that was looking for YLOD victims for a class action. Figured I could sign up and get an extra $15 bucks or something....every little bit helps. Sony should be fixing this for free as it is obviously a product defect.

I'll pick wireless over the ability to play my copy of GTA:SA flawlessly any day. :cool:

I did not realize that Sony ever made a PS3 Console version without wireless. That was one of the most awesome aspects about the machine. I could stream media from my computer, carry it from room to room, etc. I would take that over BC any day. Heck, BC does not matter to me any more since I gave my PS2 games away once I came to the conclusion that it was not something that Sony was likely going to add via firmware upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts