Yes...another Antenna Suggestion Thread! :)

SirChaos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Marysville, WA
Hey Everyone,
Looking for some assistance in picking a new antenna. I currently have a "lovely" Radio Shack, VU-190 XR.

Antenna:
160" Long Dual Boom, 57-Element Antenna - RadioShack.com

I not too happy with it....:( It came with the house.

So, I'm looking to upgrade to something decent and with a terrific range. I have a Antenna Rotator and the antenna also has a Radio Shack Amp.

Amp:
TV/HDTV/VCR/FM Antenna-Mounted High-Gain Signal Amplifier - RadioShack.com

Like I said, these items came with the house and I don't mind keeping them if these are the best options for me....or if there is something better out there.

My goal is to get Seattle HD and maybe Canada HD? :)

On a side note....if I do need a different antenna....can I use the existing antenna for a police scanner/FM Radio?

Thanks for your help everyone!

SirChaos

Attached is my TVFool Information on Distance and Direction.

Attachments

• Radar-All2.png
    Radar-All2.png
    101.3 KB · Views: 268
Check out channel master 3671 antenna and a channel master 7777 pre amp. Use the best RG-6 cable you can find and get the best compression type connectors you can get also. I would never use "twist-on" type. This antenna and amp would work well for all potential channels 2-51.

Forgot to mention that the RS VU-190 will work for FM and it would be trial and error to see if it works like you wish for the scanner.

Check out channel master 3671 antenna and a channel master 7777 pre amp. Use the best RG-6 cable you can find and get the best compression type connectors you can get also. I would never use "twist-on" type. This antenna and amp would work well for all potential channels 2-51.

What kind of range would I be expecting with this setup?

Also, right now the cable that is ran is a RG-59 Cable, but I have no problem in running a new RG6 cable with the new setup. And I also agree on those compression fittings.....the twist on one are like crap. :)

Range depends ....are you in an urban area with tall buildings or more rural area? Getting the most height as possible is what you want..The range for the 3671 is listed as 100+VHF and 60+UHF which is very reasonable and unlike the RS VU-190 which is supposed to be 190 miles VHF! Take it from personal history with these antennas which are very over-rated. Also Depending on what channels you are hoping to get, it may work better for you to get a smaller UHF only antenna (channels 14-51 after Feb. 17,2009). Maybe a channel master 4221HD or 4228HD.

Have you tried the existing setup? Seattle is in the range of 40 mi. south of you well within the Radio Shack range. Yes their antennas are over rated but you may already have all that you need.

The RS antenna is not the best, but it is a good antenna.

I would replace the pre-amp first and see how a CM7777 helps out the RS antenna.

If you need more power you can come back and replace the RS antenna with a Winegard YA-1713 (for ch 9,11 and 13) and an Antennas Direct 91-XG (for UHF).

I just replaced a CM 3671 with a Clearstream C4 and I get better results - more channels come in without breaking up plus the antenna has probably less than 10% of the footprint of the 3671. I am 60 miles away from the LA transmitters and have obstructions - 3,500 ft hills a half mile away - and the C4 does a better job for me. If you are only 40 miles from the transmitters you should get excellent results.

That said, I will put my shields up before the anti C4 people on this forum launch their attack.

Sirchaos,

How close do you live to the KSER transmitter?

48.02444, -122.11139 (KSER-FM) - Google Maps

Does your Radio Shack amp have an FM trap? If KSER is within 5-10 miles of you; it may be degrading your TV reception.

I agree with Jim. If trapping FM doesn't help; I would try a better pre-amp like the CM 7777. The VU-190 should provide adequate performance with most everything down into the red zone of your TV FOOL report.

I personally would consider replacing the RG-59 coax with RG-6 if you are running more than 50 feet of cable.;)

Thanks for the great help everyone!

I removed the lovely Radio Shack amp and I am now getting stronger signal! :) Woo hoo!

But alas, I'm not receiving 13-1, 13-2 and 16-1. Most channels are coming in at about 40% strength as before I was getting about 30 with the RS Ame.

How would the CM 7777 make things any better then the RS amp?

And .... thanks again for the great help!

- SC

Sirchaos,

How close do you live to the KSER transmitter?

48.02444, -122.11139 (KSER-FM) - Google Maps

Does your Radio Shack amp have an FM trap? If KSER is within 5-10 miles of you; it may be degrading your TV reception.

I agree with Jim. If trapping FM doesn't help; I would try a better pre-amp like the CM 7777. The VU-190 should provide adequate performance with most everything down into the red zone of your TV FOOL report.

I personally would consider replacing the RG-59 coax with RG-6 if you are running more than 50 feet of cable.;)

Thanks for the help everyone! This has been some great stuff.

No Static, I'm about 10 miles north from KSER-FM, so I don't think I am getting any interference. (hopefully)

I didn't bother replacing the RG-59 with RG-6 today...it started to snow a bit. :)

Let me ask though....when I do get a better pre-amp....what kind of real life performance should I get from it, because obviously, I didn't get it with the Radio Shack AMP...:)

Wish I had an idea to help you with the reception but I don't. I'm having similiar problems with locals. And thanks for the link to TV Fool.

on the scanner most scanner signals are vertically polarized and tv is hort. polarized.
fm signals most are both and some translators are vertical only.
have a very happy new year
john

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)