Yes, DirecTV subscribers can get local digital subchannels. Here’s how.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chasfh

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Get yourself a late model Genie. I just got an HR54-500 to replace my failing HR44-200.

Get yourself an AM21 ota tuner. I got one on Amazon a few years ago. They might be a little harder to find now. Once you get one, hook it up to your Genie and hook up an antenna to the tuner.

Go to Settings and select Sat & Antenna.

Choose Over-the-Air Antenna Setup

Choose Start Setup, input your ZIP code when it asks for you, and it will scan the air for all the digital channels your antenna will pick up.

That’s it. You got your all you local digital channels, plus you will get the programming information on the guide within a day. Except for Decades, for whatever reason.

There you go.

You’re welcome.

the am21 does not scan, it uses a database. you only get the sub channel if its in the database

the am21 does not scan, it uses a database. you only get the sub channel if its in the database

Not anymore. With the Genies, it will scan and display all the channels you receive OTA. If the channel is not in the database, it will show on your guide with no guide data, just "Regular schedule."

well thats interesting. and its not even supported by directv anymore, well not officially

Get yourself a late model Genie. I just got an HR54-500 to replace my failing HR44-200.

Get yourself an AM21 ota tuner. I got one on Amazon a few years ago. They might be a little harder to find now. Once you get one, hook it up to your Genie and hook up an antenna to the tuner.

Go to Settings and select Sat & Antenna.

Choose Over-the-Air Antenna Setup

Choose Start Setup, input your ZIP code when it asks for you, and it will scan the air for all the digital channels your antenna will pick up.

That’s it. You got your all you local digital channels, plus you will get the programming information on the guide within a day. Except for Decades, for whatever reason.

There you go.

You’re welcome.

This is not new. The AM21 has been around for years. It is actually discontinued. A newer device for OTA is being developed. The subchannel must be in a database that Directv maintains for it to display the guide data. Sounds like your Decades channel is not in the database. Some markets will have their Decades in the database. For me, my MeTV, Quest, Grit, and Bounce are not in the database.

The AM21 also works with the HR44.

Reactions: Jimbo
well thats interesting. and its not even supported by directv anymore, well not officially

They are developing a new OTA device that runs the same way as the AM21 so the updates that work for the new device, the LCC (local channel connector) work for the AM21. A few months ago, they started updated the database for the first time in nearly 10 years. And they enabled a proper OTA scan.

They are developing a new OTA device that runs the same way as the AM21 so the updates that work for the new device, the LCC (local channel connector) work for the AM21. A few months ago, they started updated the database for the first time in nearly 10 years. And they enabled a proper OTA scan.

i have heard about that, and been in the thread discsussing it

but no one really knows how it works, as i dont recall seeing any member in the markets where they have them posting about it.
still waiting on someone to do a review/info post about it

i have heard about that, and been in the thread discsussing it

but no one really knows how it works, as i dont recall seeing any member in the markets where they have them posting about it.
still waiting on someone to do a review/info post about it

There are people on DBStalk and the CE site who have one. Very few do though. I also probably shouldn't say that it works the same way as the AM21 because I am not sure if it technically does, but it appears to be using the same database.

I have had an AM21 with my HR54 and I get SOME digital sub-channels, but not as many as I get from my TV directly. Will all the sub-channels come in if I re scan?

I have had an AM21 with my HR54 and I get SOME digital sub-channels, but not as many as I get from my TV directly. Will all the sub-channels come in if I re scan?
Try it and let us know! How long has it been since you connected the AM21?

It's been about 10-11 months since I did my scan. I redid a scan and I now get about 15 more stations. The guide says Regular Programing, but the stations are there. Once you run the scan, you have to go to FAVORITES and check the new channels so they are not blocked. Thanks.

Reactions: raoul5788
It's been about 10-11 months since I did my scan. I redid a scan and I now get about 15 more stations. The guide says Regular Programing, but the stations are there. Once you run the scan, you have to go to FAVORITES and check the new channels so they are not blocked. Thanks.

That means your market hasn't been updated. What market are you in? Once a market is updated, you will see the guide data for all the subchannels on full power channels and channels that Directv carries. They are not adding most LP channels or translators to the database. But, as you can see, they have re-enabled the ability for the AM21 to display all the channels it scans in, not just those that match the database.

Best estimate is Directv are about 45% done updating all TV markets with all the new Local Guide data.
Dish had the same issue they stopped updating years ago, Directv just recently started again adding I think 1,000 channels (guide data only).

With some markets having as many as 30 free over the air channels and some are really good ones, I can see why Direvtv working on this again.
PLUS Dish will let you save $12 a month by just getting Locals from your Antenna.

Directv did a Pilot test last fall (confirmed with offical documents and customer handouts) where you saved $10 a month in Two TV markets.

Hopefully both Dish and Direct keep expanding this, more guide data and a savings for bring your own locals as a option.

The 2 main sub channels that I’d be interested in is MeTV and GRIT, and wouldnt you know it..DISH has them in there regular channel lineup, no OTA adapters, why can DirecTV do this??

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)