YES Network ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FKy.Guy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Union,Ky.
I have been a E* customer for the last few years before making the switch over to D*.Since I was with Dish and the YES Network was a no go I `m not real familiar with the programming policy.If one lives outside the N.Y.Yankees local viewing area will you be able to see there games??? Or do you have to subscribe to the E.I. package to watch the Yankees on YES??? Or if you live outside the NY viewing area are all those games blacked out.Thanks for info any may have on this matter.

If you live outside the NY area, there are only two ways to see the Yankees on D*:

1. Subscribe to the MLB Extra Innings package (and even then you won't get the Friday night home games which are exclusive to UPN Channel 9).

--or--

2. "Move" your service address to a NY address (but that means you won't get your locals, and the only NY locals you'd get would be ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX because the other locals are on a spot beam aimed at NY, and the same thing as above applies for the Friday night home games).

YankeeFan said:
If you live outside the NY area, there are only two ways to see the Yankees on D*:
1. Subscribe to the MLB Extra Innings package (and even then you won't get the Friday night home games which are exclusive to UPN Channel 9).
--or--
2. "Move" your service address to a NY address (but that means you won't get your locals, and the only NY locals you'd get would be ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX because the other locals are on a spot beam aimed at NY, and the same thing as above applies for the Friday night home games).
I had the MLB package last year and was probably going to get it again this year.Since YES is not carried by Dish-Network I did not know if I.E. broadcasts included the Yanks games on YES.But from reading your reply I.E. goes include the games carried on Y.Also I`m clear on option #2 did that for awhile but started to become a pain with E*.Plus the only reason I did it then was for NFL options on Sunday.Now with D* and Sunday Ticket have that problem solved.Thanks again for the response.

Just to clarify on the EI programming, the EI channel that carries the Yankees game (usually channels in the 734-760 range), will be the YES feed when the game is at Yankee Stadium. If it's an away game, you'll get the home team's channel feed (which sucks for the Boston games because I can't stand the NESN sportscasters). As for Dish network, I dropped them like a bad habit the moment the YES network came out (back when I lived in NY) and they REFUSED (and still do) to carry it. Been with D* ever since.

Last edited:
YankeeFan said:
Just to clarify on the EI programming, the EI channel that carries the Yankees game (usually channels in the 734-760 range), will be the YES feed when the game is at Yankee Stadium. If it's an away game, you'll get the home team's channel feed (which sucks for the Boston games because I can't stand the NESN sportscasters). As for Dish network, I dropped them like a bad habit the moment the YES network came out (back when I lived in NY) and they REFUSED (and still do) to carry it. Been with D* ever since.

I`m clear now,and yep I left E* because of channel issues as well,many channels issues in fact.Thx again.

Suppose I choose option # 2 and used a NY area (not NY proper) address. Now also suppose that I pay for the HD programming and my "local" NBC affiliate is owned by NBC so I can get a waiver. This waiver allows me to get NBC-HD East. Is NBC-HD East spotbeamed so I would not be able to actually view it?

Thanks.

hdtvtechno said:
you can sign up for t*he Sports Package and get YES also :)

You can get YES, but am I mistaken in assuming that the Live games will be blacked out, since MLB thinks that a fan must live in a teams DMA or become a fan of the team in the DMA where he/she lives?

Either way, the question remains, does D* spotbeam the NBC-HD East signal?

I'm not sure I'm making the connection between YES and the NBC-HD East signal but here goes...the national NBC-HD signal is NOT on a spot beam (it's national).

If you subscribe to MLB EI, you will get all live games (that's the whole point of EI, to allow fans of say, the Yankees, to watch Yankee games in say, Kansas). The only exception to that rule is the games that are transmitted locally over the air on New York Channel 9 (WWOR) which are usually Friday night games. Since WWOR has an exclusive contract with the Yankees for those games, they are not available on MLB EI.

If you were to "move" to a NY address, the YES network would be part of your regional sports package and then you would get the games that way, BUT once again since New York channel 9 (WWOR) is on a D* spot beam, you still would not be able to see the games that are transmitted on that channel.

As for the HD feeds, D* has been inconsistent with the way they handle the HD games. At the beginning of last year's season, the HD feed was only available to subscribers who lived in the NY DMA, then mid-season they decided to open them up to everyone who had the MLB EI package, but when the football season started, they stopped the HD feeds of the games (even though they showed up in the guide) because they needed the bandwidth for footbal (although they would never admit to it). So with HD its hit-or-miss.

Did this clear it up for you, or did I just confuse you even more?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)