Yesterdays Superdish installation.

tkiker said:
My Dish 500 is actually installed into the side of the house towards the roofline. Would the installer be able to just replace the dish 500 with the super dish. ...
Here's my setup.

Note that my DirecWay has 2 stabilizer arms. a DW dish is the same size (but a little heavier) than a SuperDish. This unit has stood up to 30+ MPH winds without issue - and remember, a DW is also a transmitter - much more sensitive than a SD.

Also, note my Dish 500 & Dish 300 mounts - soffit - but screwed to the underlying lumber. They also have no wind problems - even though the Dish 300 has an 18" extension welded to it so it'll clear the roof.

The point is, you CAN do things that LOOK incorrect, but are actually A-OK.

Please - no comments about my SW-21s or ground blocks not having drip loops. Remember, the cobbler's children have no shoes. :D Actually, there are drip loops above, and that part of the wall is well-protected - almost never gets wet for some reason. I'll redo them someday - probably when I upgrade to DishPro. :p

Attachments

• Dish-1.JPG
    Dish-1.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Dish-2.JPG
    Dish-2.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 160
I don't even put a VHF/UHF antenna preamp outside. A few feet of cable from the antenna to inside a attic or crawspace isn't going to make much difference (maybe 1db). What you gain with convenience and getting it out of the weather well worth it.

Besides, you have access to the antenna's signal without the amp for troubleshooting or to add filters before the amp for problem stations that overload the amp.

videobruce said:
I don't even put a VHF/UHF antenna preamp outside. A few feet of cable from the antenna to inside a attic or crawspace isn't going to make much difference (maybe 1db). What you gain with convenience and getting it out of the weather well worth it.

Besides, you have access to the antenna's signal without the amp for troubleshooting or to add filters before the amp for problem stations that overload the amp.
This is only OK if you properly ground the feed cable, preferably outside, but at least immediately inside.

videobruce said:
What is that on the mast of the larger dish in the 2nd pic? Looks as a spring or coil of cable.
It's the transmitter amplifier. Oh - and it's on the LNB mounting arm, not the mast. :)

Damn, that is a lot of crap to go though for satellite. I never realized there was so much crap to some systems.

I guess I just picked a lucky state to live in. Always had D*, always self-installed, always happy. Never an issue. Even the Phase III install only took about 45 minutes. I hate to see people with these types of stories, it gives SAT a bad name.

I did try Echostar when they introduced the PVR501 unit ... but bailed as soon as the contact was up because Charlie said no HDTV plans. Looks like I am damned if I do damned if I don't there.

Better luck to you Cascade.

slacker9876 said:
Damn, that is a lot of crap to go though for satellite. I never realized there was so much crap to some systems.

I guess I just picked a lucky state to live in. Always had D*, always self-installed, always happy. Never an issue. Even the Phase III install only took about 45 minutes. I hate to see people with these types of stories, it gives SAT a bad name.

I did try Echostar when they introduced the PVR501 unit ... but bailed as soon as the contact was up because Charlie said no HDTV plans. Looks like I am damned if I do damned if I don't there.

Better luck to you Cascade.

Both companies will be the same here soon... Directv is going to start to phase ot the Tivo DVR and then Dish and Direct will simply be the battle of the programming. But on topic I do feel sorry for cascade with 2 horrid Installs in what I think is 2 months.

videobruce said:
Sorry, wrong terminology.

Transmitter????? This is a UPlink?
Yeah. Modern satellite internet is 2-way. The original DirecPC had satellite downlink and dial-in for the other direction, but StarBand and modern DirecPC actually transmit what you send up to the bird. That's one reason why there's so much propagation delay. :( Nature's speed limit of 186K miles/second really adds up when a 'ping' has to travel over 88K miles.

BTW, I have a DW6000 which works a LOT better than the DW40xx boxes.

SimpleSimon said:
Yeah. Modern satellite internet is 2-way. The original DirecPC had satellite downlink and dial-in for the other direction, but StarBand and modern DirecPC actually transmit what you send up to the bird. That's one reason why there's so much propagation delay. :( Nature's speed limit of 186K miles/second really adds up when a 'ping' has to travel over 88K miles.

BTW, I have a DW6000 which works a LOT better than the DW40xx boxes.

Does that thing help much?

If you mean is my DirecWay better than the 26K dial-up out here, the answer is a resounding yes. There's no cable or DSL available here, and wide-area wireless is a crapshoot with the local idiot that I have line-of-sight to. There's another outfit that's good, but I can't "see" them from here.

SimpleSimon said:
If you mean is my DirecWay better than the 26K dial-up out here, the answer is a resounding yes. There's no cable or DSL available here, and wide-area wireless is a crapshoot with the local idiot that I have line-of-sight to. There's another outfit that's good, but I can't "see" them from here.

Actually I meant the Amplifier on the Arm of the DW dish....

The wife and I are looking at houses out near where I play golf alot (I dont know how i talked her into looking out here) but There is no cable and no city sewer out here... I would imagine no DSL at all either so I would be stuck with SAD or Sat Internet and since im used to DSL I would have to go with Sat.

ShadowEKU said:
Both companies will be the same here soon... Directv is going to start to phase ot the Tivo DVR and then Dish and Direct will simply be the battle of the programming. But on topic I do feel sorry for cascade with 2 horrid Installs in what I think is 2 months.
Well I will not likely want a TiVo DVR in 2007 anyway, I am sure some one wil outclass TiVo by then.

Cascade: I clicked "yes" to be a smartass. You definately have a right to be installed when they said they'd install it.

If they don't fix it Friday I'd pitch a royal fit.

Yeah, I just hope that 3rd time's a charm.
Did you see tkiker's thread? He had the same installer as I did although i don't think his system is grounded either.

BTW - do you have any idea who's arriving tomorrow? the robot at Echostar said a tech and an FSR or FST (Don't remember the exact words, I'd fallen asleep by that point) would be coming out.

You up for a trip down to sunny VA?

It's not us.. I checked. They probably requested an FSM to go, although they probably won't send one. You just need a tech with some experience behind him.

SimpleSimon said:
That's interesting, any idea what the output is in wattage??
What is the current comsumption of the transmitter (or transceiver)?

The tech turned up 15 mins ago, plugged his meter into each LNB, saw the signal I was getting and realigned the dish after bending the pole so it was plumb.
Now I'm getting:
97 on 110/119
67 on 105

He's outside grounding the dish and block right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)