Yet another case for manual timer support

gregleg

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
So I fire up my Hopper to set up a timer for the next US Women's Soccer game (vs Columbia, 12pm EST). Except I freaking CAN'T because the guide shows a 12 hour "women's soccer" program from 7am to 7pm. I know what channel I want, I know what time I want, and I can't schedule the damn recording.

Thanks, Dish!

Yeah it really boggles me why Dish would intentionally downgrade the 922/Hopper compared to the 722 and earlier for such a crucial feature, especially when OTA comes out.

Yes, a Manual Timer gives the customer the opportunity to set the start and end time so as to allow for other desired recordings NOT to be missed. I've posted before the NUMEROUS other unique uses for Manual Timers, and YES for those OTA that don't have EPG data.

I have to think that at some meeting to review the features of the 922/Hopper, they must have said,"let's drop the manual timers. Who really uses it anyways with our DVR's EPG doing the work, and besides, we aren't really supporting EXTERNAL devices anymore, like how uses a VCR or DVD Recorder, and certainly NOT our Pocket Dish flirtation, and that only supports SD anyway. So, shall we cut manual timer?" The engineers cheer, "Here, here. Let's save ourselves the trouble and dump it. Moving on. Next feature to review/dump?"

And those same people that decided to cut manual timers for ota and satellite, are the ones that came up with the idea for blue tooth devices for the hopper. How many people out there do you here screaming for blue tooth support on the hopper, compared to us that want ota and manual timers?

MikeD-C05 said:
And those same people that decided to cut manual timers for ota and satellite, are the ones that came up with the idea for blue tooth devices for the hopper. How many people out there do you here screaming for blue tooth support on the hopper, compared to us that want ota and manual timers?

I would kill for Bluetooth headphone support. It would make viewing during certain hours much better in my household.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You are forgetting the most important reason, Rain delay!
Example, NASCAR get rain out, reschedule the next day ??, I have to go record all the show schedule at that time, then play them in the correct order.

So you have my vote.

I would kill for Bluetooth headphone support. It would make viewing during certain hours much better in my household.

Wouldn't taht be more useful from the TV?

You are forgetting the most important reason, Rain delay!
Example, NASCAR get rain out, reschedule the next day ??, I have to go record all the show schedule at that time, then play them in the correct order.

So you have my vote.

Or anything prime time Sunday night on CBS... the time slots good shows go to die because they're never on time :(

Welp. The Mars Rover Opportunity is is set to land in an hour. However on the NASA channel (286) all it says is the usual "Education Hour." So if I wasn't here I would've had to record 4 hours of NASA TV just to get the landing instead of being able to record from 11:00 PM until 2:30 AM (CDT) when the actual coverage occurs. What the heck Dish? Why would you intentionally leave out such a crucial feature? Especially one that the older receivers still have? To make it worse "Education Hour" ends at 1am so I have to start another recording just to get the rest of the event.

P.S. Add NASA in HD while you're at it!

But Bluetooth is pretty bad for the kind of high quality audio coming from many of our channels. Now, for cellphone, it certainly is adequate.

I would like the Bluetooth support, BUT the manual timers for me are WAY more important. It is irritating to have to record all of a 4 hour plus scheduled show when I only need 30 minutes to an hour of it. Especially when it will screw the pooch on my other timers!

DishSubLA said:
But Bluetooth is pretty bad for the kind of high quality audio coming from many of our channels. Now, for cellphone, it certainly is adequate.

Granted, it probably won't hold a candle to a surround sound setup for shows that are available in 5.1 or better; but it'll hands down beat using closed captioning in my book. (I'm not sure who mixes movies and tv shows these days, but more and more I find dialogue to be mixed very low compared to any action sequences meaning I either have risk waking a housemate up when watching tv late at night or have to resort to close captioning to have more than a vague notion about what is being said.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts