Yet another mini-BUD experiment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nhulst

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 20, 2007
As I have this week off from work, I figured this would be a good time to try something a little bit off-the-wall. I ordered a BSC621 LNBF (not the -2 version) and the conical scalar ring attachment. The LNBF came today, while the scalar ring will be coming tomorrow. I'm hoping to get to spend a fair bit of time on it tomorrow and I'll do my best to post some more results and pictures. For now, my thoughts after about two hours of playing around:

• A huge thank you goes out to all the SatelliteGuys members who have posted their results and their field engineering techniques!
  • As the others have said, anything to do with the 621 should be treated as experimental. The use of a 90 cm dish in attempting to receive C-Band (GeoSatPro 90 cm in my case) is beyond experimental and you shouldn't set your expectations too high
  • Start with a peaked dish and have a working Ku LNBF in hand
  • Since my true south is 91 and there's a nice strong Ku signal there (ABC), I started from that before switching to C-Band
  • I also started without the 22 kHz switch in the signal path, although I soon found it worked just fine
  • The biggest challenge today was the difficulty in keeping the 621 pointed accurately without a properly fitting mounting ring (included in the conical scalar kit which isn't here yet)
  • I am seeing significantly less SQ from the 621 than I am seeing even from my dying Invacom
  • With no scalar ring, I couldn't blind-scan anything on C on 91. With the 621's included flat scalar, test-fitted at a very poor position due to mechanical limits, I was able to lock the DMX music TP.

Wish me luck--I'll need it :D

Good luck mate. If I were to try this again I would:

1- Make sure the dish is accessible (going up and down the ladder at my age is a pain)
2- Use a signal meter (girlfriend in front of the TV looking at the signal meter is as useless as tits on a bull)
3- Try later in the evening (for some reason, my best reception was after 7pm)
4- Be Patient (it aint one of my virtues)

IIRC, w/ a BCS 621 and 90cm dish, I got the leasea and GDMX feeds and some music channels off 99w. FX East came in at 60% but was gone by morning.

Cheers, K

I use a homemade 4 1/2" diameter funnel/cone , 2"deep . covered with foil tape (painted white) on the end of my c band lnb , to first search for signals , Much more forgiving than the conical scalar ring , that I fit on last for "time consuming" fine tuning . I can't even find c band signals on my small dishes , without that homemade funnel/cone (feed horn) . The strongest / easiest to find signals are on sat. 99w (I do it just as Kraven stated , only I have a small tv outside) . Getting the LNB skew right , while playing with the dish elevation , is sometimes the hardest part for me . Hope this helps . Have Fun .

Unfortunately, it was basically a dud. Despite having a proper LNBF mount and another alternative scalar ring, I was never able to do any better than I did with last night's experiment (worse, actually.) Having run out of time to work on it for now, the new LNBF is going to go back on the shelf for a while. The only other thing that I think I'd try next time I get the chance is to find a C-band sat/TP that doesn't have any overlapping signals on the 4-degree offset satellites. Beyond that, nothing to do but bide my time until I can put in a bigger dish ;-)

Joe, didn't see your post as I was typing mine. I'll take that advice next time I dig out this LNBF to play. Thanks!

Good luck mate. If I were to try this again I would:

1- Make sure the dish is accessible (going up and down the ladder at my age is a pain)
2- Use a signal meter (girlfriend in front of the TV looking at the signal meter is as useless as tits on a bull)
3- Try later in the evening (for some reason, my best reception was after 7pm)
4- Be Patient (it aint one of my virtues)

IIRC, w/ a BCS 621 and 90cm dish, I got the leasea and GDMX feeds and some music channels off 99w. FX East came in at 60% but was gone by morning.

Cheers, K

The bare , stark, reality of statement number 2 is of existential importance. even a coolsat with beep is far superior.

The Wife-o-meter has a response time of aprox 30 minutes or the same as most law enforcement reaction times.

Honey , are u there? ..... are u there?...
No, i am in the kitchen....
Would u please go back to the tv and tell me what is the Q?
2 minutes more please.....

I so love boxes with BEEPPPP

I found the focal point when using a BSC621 between C and Ku is off by several degrees my using a 90cm dish. I used the conical scalar that I have on my 6' offset C band dishes for a test, they even came with the LNBF holders for about $12 shipped.

I was able to get the Lesea channels on 99W and GEB on 101W with the LNBF pulled back as far as it would fit without falling out of the scalar.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts