Yet another Openbox question...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
I've had my SSO receiver hooked up using the Hdmi setup, for almost a year. I have one ordered for my brother who doesn't have an HD Tv, only SD. I've heard the issues with the green tint etc..using composite hookup. Can I just use the component hookup to avoid the tint issue? Also will it pass the AC3 audio this way or only thru Hdmi? I don't feel like unhooking the maze of cables on the back of my set to try this, so I'm hoping someone else already has tried their unit with the component setup. If not looks like its new tv time for him...Thanks Blind

I'm using mine with the component Y Pb Pr and left/right audio out RCA jacks hooked to a 52" HDTV (w/out HDMI connector) without any tint issues at all since day one. I'm using HDS2-10-11-08:1026CM firmware. I do get 1080i and wonderfull sound. :)

Thanks for the info guys. Carlos I'm guessing you are using yours as a fixed system? or is it motorized? The early firmware didn't have the motor switch problem solved...Blind

I've got some more experimenting to do today then. I used the component jacks and got a black and white screen and only 576I for a terrible picture. I'll try some things today when I have more time...Thanks Blind

I have a 32 inch CRT with 3 composite inputs. I adjusted the tint on the one input where the Openbox connects to by turning the green as far off as possible. Luckily, I have individual adjustments for each input. So the input with the Openbox has the green all the way off & the picture has a near perfect color tint.

I tried that yesterday on an old CRT set I had and the picture looked pretty decent. Guess my brother will hook up the receiver this week and see what happens. I know it sure looks good using my HDMI with and an Hd set...Blind

I gave my 42 inch HD to the ex because at the time, I had no need for it. Now I regret that decision. But one day I'll get a newer & improved TV.

Do all the open box receivers have the tint issues or just some of them? I was planning on buying one using the composite video out.

Do all the open box receivers have the tint issues or just some of them? I was planning on buying one using the composite video out.
All SSO's that are using the latest firmware are affected. Early firmware did not have the green tint, but has disq/motor issues.

What are the chances that they will have another firmware update to fix this problem? I want to buy one of these but would be using the composite video out.

It's been like for for 6 months , at least. I don't think they have any plans to fix it. Maybe you should check some local thrift stores for a Tv with component inputs, maybe a nice Sony, or Toshiba. The CRT's are cheap on Craigslist , too, these days. If you can carry one, you can probably get a 36" for $100 .
:)

Never say never lol..They are very slow to fix issues for sure...Many were wondering if they would ever fix the motor/DiSEqC problem, but they did..I put off buying one until then..I'm not affected by the green tint as I use HDMI, but I hope they fix it soon for those that use composite.

Try changing the output to 576i and the color will be ok. I presently use this as a composite video input to an" EYE TV 250 Plus", connected to a Mac with the digital audio going through a receiver and routing the headphone audio to the audio composite inputs on the EYE TV. This allows editing to be done as needed on the computer. I assume it would also work on a SD TV.

His TV needs to be able to handle 576i though. Some won't.

I've seen some people say to set the output to RGB instead of YUV to get rid of the tint on 480i, but on my monitor this just results in an unusable picture.

Another option would be to get an "RGB SCART to composite RCA adapter". They can be found on ebay for under $2. There are 2 SCART connections on the S9, and I am thinking both could be used. I haven't had time to get mine all set up yet, but plan to try this out. I did verify it works, but I need to play with the color settings, as I believe I am not getting any green from the SCART (and I believe it is because the green is cranked down to compensate for the green tint when using composite hookup).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts