Yet another True South and True South satellite question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mchomicz

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
I’m at 80° 50.067' West. Am I correct in assuming that this means my “true south” satellite is AMC 5 79.0W? Or do I not have a true south satellite at all? (next one west is DirecTV 3 at 81.8W)

Assuming 79W qualifies as my true south satellite, I was wondering how I should be going about setting up my motorized dish:

1. With motor set to 0, turn the dish to true south (magnetic south plus magnetic deviation) and then I should be getting some signal from a transponder on 79W. Now adjust the dish for elevation until I peak the signal. Finally, move the LNB closer or further away from dish until I peak the signal.

or

2. With motor set to 0, turn the dish to true south (magnetic south plus magnetic deviation). Then “tell” the motor to turn to 79W and once it does - adjust the dish for elevation until I peak the signal. Finally, move the LNB closer or further away from dish until I peak the signal.

or

3. With motor set to 0, turn the dish such that I get strongest signal from a transponder on 79W (a tiny bit ‘left’ from my true south). Now adjust the dish for elevation until I peak the signal. Next, rotate the LNB until I peak the signal. Finally, move the LNB closer or further away from dish until I peak the signal.

I’d appreciate any comments on which of the 3 approaches - if any - is correct for a motor mounted dish and a “true south” satellite off by 1° 50.067' from my longitude.

Thank you,
Michael

Number two sounds the most right to me, will take a little balancing and you will be all set.
You should never have to rotate the LNBF at all from the true south "straight up and down" position. As the dish moves the whole dish and LNBF will skew itself! Yes you may have to move the dish closer or further away from the reflector for the exact focal point.

Your (NEAR) True south satellite would be Nimiq 2 at 82w but you would need a DBS LNBF and change your L.O. to 11250. I would use that to point your Dish/Motor then put back on your KU linear LNBF.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)