Yikes! New hd-dvd players needed to for 51gb discs?

seminole2001

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Earth
DVD Forum gives three-layer, 51GB HD DVD the thumbs up | Reg Hardware

:What's unclear at this stage is whether today's HD DVD drives and players will be able to read the new disc. However, with such a small number of HD DVD devices out there - relative to DVD players - only a limited number of early adopters are likely to be affected, and these are the kind of folk who are generally happy to upgrade in any case."

Nice sequel to your 'Microsoft: HD-DVD not good enough to be bundled with Xbox 360'

From the HDDVD section.... a brief thread has this link in it:

Say hello to CH-DVD and a 51GB HD DVD | Crave : The gadget blog

an article you'll also fail to comprehend and/or turn into FUD said:
The good news is that the 51GB discs should play in all HD DVD players currently on the market. We discussed this with James Armour from Toshiba's optical storage division at CeBIT this year, and were told that although the third layer would be harder to read, and generate more data errors, the player's error correction should be able to fix these problems without picture and sound problems.

And from your own quote:

someone with a baseless bias likely trying hard to make themselves feel better about their decision to buy in Blu-Ray was a smart one by putting down HDDVD whenever possible said:
:What's unclear at this stage...

And for good measure, I'm going to repeat that:

someone with a baseless bias likely trying hard to make themselves feel better about their decision to buy in Blu-Ray was a smart one by putting down HDDVD whenever possible said:
:What's unclear at this stage...

Here's a site you should look over. And so that you don't come back and tell me it means that America doesn't know how to read, I am suggest you enroll/subscribe/attend whatever service they are offering: Learn to Read - T4L Online Educational Enrichment Software

In the end, we'll find out when they come to market.

Here is a site that you should check out....Definition of should - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

I'd pay close attention to #4 & #5

"5—used in auxiliary function to express a request in a polite manner or to soften direct statement <I should suggest that a guide…is the first essential — L. D. Reddick>"

"4—used in auxiliary function to express what is probable or expected <with an early start, they should be here by noon>"

I would think that if the discs worked, you would make a declarative statement that they worked. Not leave the door open to interpretation. But that is just me.

For the record I'm happy with my choice(s), OK pumpkin!

Last edited:
Please tell me you're arguing over the semantics and not the subject of the thread, as your follow up makes the first one look even stupider. Where s the 'direct statement' in the original article that supports your sensationalized headline?

Unclear if it will work, and should work, are both the same shade of grey. Neither of them are 'OMGZ PLAYERS ARE OBSOLETE!' It's clear testing just needs to be done to verify it does work, and there is no spec that makes it obvious that it will not work. Until this is done, nobody is going to go out on that limb and say no problems are expected.

Please tell me you're arguing for the sake of arguing, and not because you really believe the headline. This isn't the pit, we're rational people in this area, and this is just the definition of FUD.

The definition for unclear lends well to trying to understand your thought process between the article and the headline too:

ill-defined: poorly stated or described; "he confuses the reader with ill-defined terms and concepts"

define:unclear - Google Search

DVD Forum gives three-layer, 51GB HD DVD the thumbs up | Reg Hardware

:What's unclear at this stage is whether today's HD DVD drives and players will be able to read the new disc. However, with such a small number of HD DVD devices out there - relative to DVD players - only a limited number of early adopters are likely to be affected, and these are the kind of folk who are generally happy to upgrade in any case."
There is NO evidence that supports your FUD.

Last edited:
Untill a three layer HD-DVD disc hits the market -- no one will really know if it will or will not play on current HD-DVD players. At this stage, any discussion would be entirely theoretical as there is no product currently on the market for anyone to use.

What we do know is that some HD-DVD combo discs have had a hard time playing. And while this has been a small problem it does continue to be a problem with some new releases so there must be some concern about the third layer creating more of the same type of reading problem. Wheather a firmware could correct the issue or a new player would be required right now is also theoretical.

If the HD-DVD group is moving in that direction we might have our answer as soon as spring 08.

No. What we do know is that this is your newest yet lamest FUD. ALL of mine play on my meager Gen 1 HD DVD player.:rolleyes:
Read AVS forums and figure out how many have issues playing brand new HD-DVD on cheap $99 players. Even their XA2 does not play dvd's. They are washing HD-DVD with soap and how water. May be their A2/A3/XA2 need that soap wash :rolleyes:

There have been disc issues on the A1 and the Xbox player, put I imagine most are handled with FW updates.

While I hope my A2 will play the 51gb discs if we ever see them, I aint counting any chickens until someone puts on in and it plays. :D

No. What we do know is that this is your newest yet lamest FUD. ALL of mine play on my meager Gen 1 HD DVD player.:rolleyes:

Vurbano, there are way too many posts on this issue for you to play innocent here. Yelling FUD does not make this little fact go away.

Commentary: Combo Discs - What Went Wrong? | High-Def Digest

Excerpt: "Worse than that, the damn discs don't even work half the time! Just the other night, I sat down to watch my recently-purchased HD DVD copy of '300' on my Toshiba HD-XA2 player, and I only made it 45 minutes before the stupid thing froze up and ceased playback. No matter how many times I try to restart the movie, the disc will not play beyond Chapter 14. This is an extremely high-profile release; in fact, it's currently the best-selling title on either the HD DVD or Blu-ray formats, and the disc won't function in a top-of-the-line HD DVD player! Who wants to put up with nonsense like that? I certainly don't.

Let's not kid ourselves that this is an isolated defective disc or a one-time anomaly. Complaints about playback problems on '300' are widespread, and similar compatibility issues have plagued earlier Combo releases such as 'Children of Men', 'The Good Shepherd', 'Happy Feet', 'Superman Returns', and 'The Matrix Reloaded' (copies from the expensive 'Ultimate Matrix Collection' box set which has the bonus features in DVD format on the flip-side of the disc). Some of these will only work properly on second-generation HD DVD players but not first-generation models, and some bizarrely just the opposite. Some function fine on Toshiba's players but not on Microsoft's HD DVD add-on accessory for the XBox 360, and others vice versa. Some don't work right on any player at all."

Glad you are not having problems Vurbano, but lots of folks do -- I guess we can consider you lucky!:rolleyes:

There have been disc issues on the A1 and the Xbox player, put I imagine most are handled with FW updates.

While I hope my A2 will play the 51gb discs if we ever see them, I aint counting any chickens until someone puts on in and it plays. :D
All HD DVD discs will play on all Toshiba players. I have no doubts about that.

I am not worried about Toshiba hosing it's customers. It's got too much to lose if for some reason the 51 discs don't work in the existing players. Look at all the crap that is going to come down on the BDA group when customers realize their initial purchases months ago are not gonna play the latest and greatest BD discs other than the movie.

I've never had an HD-DVD nor DVD not play in my A2's (no special bath's needed). Nor have I had any issues with any BD discs in my PS3's. I wil not, however, buy anything Samsung again. At least sony put out a products that works as advertised (and it hurts me to say that)

Actually, to get this correct, every BD player will play all the data on the newer BD movies. They might not do the cool PIP with 1.1 Java menus while the movie is playing but you will also have the option to play the material just as you do now -- off a static list. So the only thing you will be missing is the ability to do it while the movie is playing. I don't see this as being much of a problem and I doubt most BD owners do either.

As for Samsung -- I don't understand how a company can make the most beautiful LCDs (have you seen the new LED LCDs from Samsung -- you have got to see them to believe them!) and they just cannot get any DVD or High Def player right. I just cannot connect the dots here!:confused:

yeah, true Joe. I am one who really only cares about the movies, but you know what I was getting at. I'm not trying to overstate anything or pull a fast one. I just know that some people who adopted early are going to be disappointed when they can't do all the cool stuff as advertised.

I had the Sammy 1000 from Feb to July and did not have any issues out of it. Whats become wrong with the Samsungs?

I do really like the job the PS3 does. Its upconverts well, great BD PQ and loads soo soo fast.

The new Sammys have had alot of shudder and freezing problems. Samsung has a new firmware out to fix these problems but they need to do this BEFORE the player gets in the consumer's hands. And I still think Sammys are nortorious for not handling blacks and whites well. You just cannot put everything at the feet of the HDTV -- sometimes the player is at fault!

The new Sammys have had alot of shudder and freezing problems. Samsung has a new firmware out to fix these problems but they need to do this BEFORE the player gets in the consumer's hands. And I still think Sammys are nortorious for not handling blacks and whites well. You just cannot put everything at the feet of the HDTV -- sometimes the player is at fault!

Geez. Yeah the 1000 came out and was very soft, I did not buy one until they fixed that issue. They are using the windows method, release it and let the paying customers be the beta testers :eek:

Geez. Yeah the 1000 came out and was very soft, I did not buy one until they fixed that issue. They are using the windows method, release it and let the paying customers be the beta testers :eek:

It is not just samsung. Dish netork, Directv, everone is doing it now.

im my eyes a CE Device should not need a firmware update. but we are in the day and age of get it out as fast as possible and hope for the best later with a FW update.

I do blame MS for that move. I call it the MS rule.

...im my eyes a CE Device should not need a firmware update. but we are in the day and age of get it out as fast as possible and hope for the best later with a FW update.
One of the by-products of this format war... can't afford to be late.
Imagine BD only now (BonusView) introducing its players/PS3.
Or even worse, next year when BD-Live is ready.
What chances would Blu-ray have?

I agree that it becomes more and more like the software market (the HD/BD movies are called software).

Diogen.

It is not just samsung. Dish netork, Directv, everone is doing it now.

im my eyes a CE Device should not need a firmware update. but we are in the day and age of get it out as fast as possible and hope for the best later with a FW update.

I do blame MS for that move. I call it the MS rule.

I agree that it should work correctly without requiring an upgrade, but I also like the idea that they can upgrade the FW later to include new features or fix bugs that were unforseen previously. Sometimes you just can't catch them all before you launch a product.