You can not install the DISH Network satellite system by yourself at this time.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hobojoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
so caif usa
:mad: when did this change and why? do they really think they can stop me! this is why i so badly want to own the vip622 that i want to upgrade to.i own all my equipment right now! they probably do not want to deal with all the calls about setting up. but the next line is this: How can I find out if I have a clear line-of-sight to your satellite?

This webpage has an azimuth and elevation calculator that requires only your ZIP Code. Your professional installer will also check for a clear line-of-site before they proceed with any installation

I own my 622 and they almost would'nt activate it cause they said it had to be professionally installed. I explained that I had 2 dishes and lock on 3 sats. and which ones they were so they went ahead and activated it.

When I self installed my 942 a year ago, I called the tech or advanced tech line for activation. After we talked for a minute, the gal activated the receiver since I knew all the lingo. If you call the regular customer service, you may run into trouble. I can't say what the rules are today.

i understand that there are customers out there that are competent enough to do their own install work. And as mentioned above, if those customers call and talk to the tech support people, and know the lingo, they will probably still be able to get their own stuff activated.
But I totally see where Dish is coming from on this, I see alot of installs where the guy did it himself, or he had the kid down the street do it, that surprise me that they still work.
Perfect example.... I went on a service call last week that was a single 510 on a dish500 that the guy had bought on ebay and installed himself. He used machine screws and washers and screwed it into a metal mobile home roof. He also had the 110 going straight through a tree. He had decided to put it in that location because it was right next to his old antenna, and he just used the cable (RG59) that was already there....
He ended up having it in for about a month before he started calling dish and complaining that he "wasn't getting a picture"... they tried scheduling a service call a few times but the company that recieved the work order just kept pushing him off... so he called our company to come out...
I went out, and he tried telling me that this thing was just put in a month ago and should be covered under the warranty... i told him that this was more than a "service call" and that the whole system was going to have to be reinstalled... he was not happy at all.
moral of the story... had this guy just called and got a 510 as a new customer it would have been installed right the first time, and it actually would have been cheaper for the customer...

We have two 622's. My son installed both. He installed a 721 which we replaced with the 622. We had no problem activating the 622's. He did learn along the way so the second one was easier to install. We bought the receivers from the DishStore because we were not qualified for the upgrade from Echostar.

See the problem is as a tech i am REQUIRED to bring the system up to code. So if a cust does an install and doesn't ground the system, doesn't use rubber grommets, doesn't use a pitch patch kit when mounting on a roof, doesn't use 6 - 2 1/2" lag bolts doesn't make the mast plum level or mounts it in a location that they "think" there might be a LOS then theres a low or no signal. And if i have to fix it then i need to charge the cust $59./hr with a minimum of 2 hrs. Before i can even touch the system then i wont get paid. and even if i don't charge the cust and am willing to be nice and just fix the problem my name is now owned to the acct. as the last tech out. So any problems it and its my a$$. Also another prob is that when cust did do their own installs and the dish wasn't peaked properly so the signal went out quicker and came back later. causing cust to say, "This Satellite stuff sucks!!" and Tell all their friends that satellite suck and then they prob wont get it. Like they say if you have a good experience your will tell 5 people if you have a bad experience you will tell 10.

Is this true...Is Dish really saying that customers can't do their own installs or did this guy just get a CSR who did not know what they were talking about?

I know, if you do a promation with a commitment, you can't instal it yourself...I haven't heard anythig else.

:hatsoff: sorry guys i should have been clearer. i found this under FAQ general info page. i saw a link about keeping your phone line connected and below that saw the heading of this thread i cut and pasted it from that page for my thread heading. http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/faq/search/generaltech/ there is a lot of interesting things on this page. most i was fully aware of but i never ever heard "You can not install the DISH Network satellite system by yourself at this time". i have never ever had any problems activating anything. i was a part time installer for dishnet and direcway years ago. and would love to get started again but i have a very bad back (triple spine fusion) and don't know how much i could do. but i really enjoy sat stuff so much! can a installer say they can only work part time and limited to one story install ls? better yet pole installations would be fantastic. hughesnet is really big on that. its safer easier and less liability of a leak in someones roof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts