You cant get a HD Waiver per FCC law

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Is it true that if you already can get a good Standard Def over the air network feed that you CANT get or request one for the HD feed if you cant get the HD feed over the air or they just do not have one yet?

Is it true that congress is workingon a bill that would allow you to get HD waivers?

In other words, those in the other posts saying they request a waiver so they can get the new NBC or CBS HD feeds are just waisting there time?

If I am wrong let me know, Ill request some waivers also.

It's all up to the station that you're making the waiver request to if they'll grant the waiver or not. I've seen some posts were you get a view friendly engineer or manager that listens to the problem and will grant a waiver while others quote corporate policy and don't issue a waiver to anyone.

My experince was I wanted to get WCBS-DT because the Chicago CBS ATSC station was on channel 3 and was VERY hard to get, if at all, at my location. No problem with them since they're a Viacom O&O, but the Milwaukee CBS affiliate, not an O&O, provided me a grade B signal according to DecisionMark, so no WCBS-DT from E* or D*. I contacted the station directly and while they understood the problem and agreed I wasn't one of their viewers they said station owner policy was no waivers. However a few months later I found a post from another Chicago D* person that said the Milwaukee station has changed their mind and told D* to grant a blanket waiver to all Illinois requests, a few minutes later I had WCBS-DT.

So the bottom line is your mileage will vary and good luck.

I was turned down for waviers a few years ago. A few friendly letters too the right people will work wonders and also DIRECTV HAS TO ASK FOR WAVIERS ON YOUR BEHALF. I live in a grade B area, and was elgible only for FOX, so I asked CBS station for a wavier and it was granted, but took about 2 or 3 weeks. At that time I did not contact the ABC OR NBC station and Directv asked later on my behalf for those and I was granted waviers. So now have the 4 networks.

There isn't any law that says you can't request a wavier, but Directv has to handle the papers.

I mostly wanted waviers to get the CBS hd football, but I might end up being blacked out for that.

Lem52

So I thought that you could ask to have your sight tested for signal level and if the level was below the grade that the TV station has no choice but to grant the waiver.

The downside is that if you do get the signal level you have to pay for the test.

When I went to the amateur radio web site they are providing the service it seems for people.......

Any other enlightenment on waivers?

Sorry guru's......I swear I saw a post that gave a link that you put in your address and check your stations for O&O and outside Grade B stations, just in case someone needs a waver. Could someone PLEASE post it here?

Barney

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)