You have GOT to be kidding me. 16 gigs and I can't touch it.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
so, I got an iphone I'm trying out here for a few days. The first couple of days I'm thinking this is the greatest thing ever. 16 gigs of storage, sweet! But wait, I can only use that storage for pictures I take on the phone, or to store music and apps that have been processed through the itunes crapware i had to download. I can see the "DCIM" folder and its contents on my computer but it is read-only. WTF?

Is it so wrong that I want to be able to store actual useful files on it, like every other USB flash memory device I've ever used? It would be nice to not have to still carry around a USB flash drive when I've got 15.6GB free on the brick in my pocket.

Yeah, I'm seriously looking into that.

I did find something called DiskAid that sort of works, but I have to download and install this software on every computer I want to attach this thing to. Native support as a standard USB drive would be better.

Get an XV6800 with a 16 Gb micro disk. Then you'll have a phone that doesn't break down when the network gets busy like CES. You'll be able to load all the mp3's videos in wmv or MOV and even sling box, skype calls etc you want. No need to be a slave to that itunes money grabber or become a fugitive of the law violating the DMCA. :)

So the DiskAid tool requires itunes, another bloatware everywhere I want to use the device. Must be a better way...

Bob was right. Can't believe I went for three whole days before jailbreaking and installing ssh. I must admit it's pretty cool to use WinSCP, the same tool I use to manage my linux servers, to copy stuff to and from the iphone's filesystem.

Also went the route with a 2 16gb cards for my phone. One is in the battery cover. I loaded the USB2PC app so when I plug into PC it pops up as a usb storage device just like a thumb drive works. Also have 16gb on my key chain....never thought I would have this much storage in my pocket!

Also went the route with a 2 16gb cards for my phone. One is in the battery cover. I loaded the USB2PC app so when I plug into PC it pops up as a usb storage device just like a thumb drive works. Also have 16gb on my key chain....never thought I would have this much storage in my pocket!

FYI: When (not if) you upgrade to the Touch Pro, USB2PC functionality is built in. Any time you plug in a USB cable, it prompts you for a) active sync b) disk drive mode c) internet sharing

Edit: Might be worthwhile to hold off just a tad and jump on the just-announced TouchPro2. I'll likely be getting one as soon released.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5154108/htc-to...o2-feature-bigger-screens-better-battery-life

FYI: When (not if) you upgrade to the Touch Pro, USB2PC functionality is built in. Any time you plug in a USB cable, it prompts you for a) active sync b) disk drive mode c) internet sharing

That was one of the nicest "surprises" when I got a touch pro (used to have a mogul).

Touch Pro2 looks nice, but since I got the TP as a few swap when my mogul went wonky, I'm not actually out anything.

so, I got an iphone I'm trying out here for a few days. The first couple of days I'm thinking this is the greatest thing ever. 16 gigs of storage, sweet! But wait, I can only use that storage for pictures I take on the phone, or to store music and apps that have been processed through the itunes crapware i had to download. I can see the "DCIM" folder and its contents on my computer but it is read-only. WTF?

Is it so wrong that I want to be able to store actual useful files on it, like every other USB flash memory device I've ever used? It would be nice to not have to still carry around a USB flash drive when I've got 15.6GB free on the brick in my pocket.
1. Never look at internal memory size. As long as it can take external memory, that's all you need to worry about.

2. Yet another reason why I'll never buy an iPhone. I can easily take stuff on and off of my Q9h without any crapware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)