You Missed It, SatelliteGuys Get Together with Charlie Ergen

That's what I was thinking, as I think the one on the front page has someone missing.

For those of us who had our pictures taken with Charlie, I think we should post them here as well.

Like Rocky said, I'm jealous!

Thanks for sharing the pictures, everyone. Looks like a great time was had by all. I wish I was able to swing the trip this weekend. Maybe next year?

One distubing item was that there seemed to be some reservations on the hook up your own hard drive. They kept mentioning that hard drive failure could result by running an ordinary hard drive 24/7. Almost like they wanted to sell you drives.

I think the key to that observation is in Scott's notes on the general assembly from Charlie. He said something to the effect that they could reduce churn by having harddrives that are tied exclusively to Dish equipment. Therefore, when a customer fills up a harddrive, in order to acess the recordings they have to be a Dish customer. I think the party line about concern of disk failures from running 24/7 is just a talking point. I don't care. I agree about the cool factor of the HP Smartmedia. It was the one thing I was really impressed with.

By the way, I had a great time as well at the get-together and want to thank Scott and PG for hosting it for us and getting this set up. I really trust Charlie to run Dish after that talk. He was very approachable and I was very impressed at how honest and open he was with us. He definately knows his stuff.

Meeting some of the guys that I'm familiar with here was great and I was happy to see Jason again and meet his wife. Also, putting a face with LER and Mike123abc was good. I hat you guys ditched me in the men's room on the way to the bar.:D I came out and wasn't sure which bar you went to. I checked the Texas one in the pavilion but didn't see ya'll. But the wife showed up from the mall not too long afterward anyway. I would have liked to have raised a beer with ya'll. Maybe we can do it again soon.

Obviously you people had one heck of a time there!

It was nice of Charlie to participate in your "get together"

Sincerely happy for all of ya! :)

Good for you!

Wow, wish I could have been there, instead of here.. Looks like you all had a great time. Now if I can only get the hell out of here and I will be allright. :) Maybe we all can do this again some time in the future.

Bob, it would be an honor for me to take you out for a beer after all you do for us over there. :) I wish you could have been there with us.

We actually talked about you last night Bob. :)

Were your ears ringing?

I do hope more to see more reports from folks who were there. So if you were there to speak up. :D

I have an announcement that I will make when I get home on Monday that is kind of exciting. :)

Congrats on getting Charlie at the get together. Sounds like you guys had fun. It shows that much more the power this site has.

Too bad existing subs can't get the 622HZ.

Since we're in AT&T territory, I could make use of the extra features over a normal 622.

Having Charlie personally answer some long time questions really helped us see the Dish network rational behind decisions:

1. YES network. YES only wants in base tier, all Dish RSNs are in AT200, or AT100+ not AT100 as YES demands. Dish felt that they could gain more customers in NY by having the lowest cost AT100 type package than they would gain from having YES available. This is why they made the decision they made. Disagree with it or not, the market will decide (i.e. don't expect YES on Dish).

2. Dish does analyze the viewing habits of receivers that report in (they do it in aggregate not on an individual basis who has time to look through 13 million reports). That leads them to decide which networks are must have and which one can be dropped during negotiations.

3. He was able to explain about NFLST and MLBEI negotiations. Yes Dish would love to have these options, but they can predict (see #2) what % of customers are likely to want either of these products and can easily see what they can bid for the product. Of course it is somewhat of a self fulling prophecy if all the rabid sports fans run to DIRECTV, bidding a ton of money for these and offering them would probably not generate many new customers for Dish since those that wanted it would have already switched.

By having so much time to answer questions and being rushed really changed the atmosphere of the discussion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)