You shouldn't own both formats!

Too late. The war is not going to end any time soon. Unless Warner goes BD exclusive and Universal starts releasing BD (and Paramont after their contract is up in a year).

Even if it goes the other way and Warner goes HD-DVD, it would take years before the rest of the studios finally go HD-DVD.

Universal players will be the cheap hot item by then. When universal players go under 200 the war will be over for the consumer.

The competition is good for consumers, it'll help keep prices down.
If there is only one game in town they can charge what they want!!

Hunt is an idiot.

He said to buy neither.

Bill Hunt said:
[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *] By the way... for those of you thinking maybe it makes sense to buy BOTH Blu-ray and HD-DVD to cover your bases, it would frankly be smarter just to buy neither. I know it's tempting for enthusiasts to buy both, but keep this in mind: Supporting both is only going to continue prolonging this format war, when what we all really need is for this thing to end as soon as possible.
[/FONT]

What pisses me off about all the Blu supporters is that they say, "HD-DVD has to die." Yawn. Honestly neither has to die. Blu-Ray just needs to come to 2008 and get its specs and pricing in line. $500 for a slow-ass 1st gen player that can't even decode True-HD? Blech.

He said to buy neither.
Hunt is an idiot. Its not my job to win anyones war. At only 1-2% of the market occupied by BD and HD DVD this war could no on for 10 years. Either side declaring victory is like your football team thinking the game is in the bag after 1 minute of play.

I hope you got the $299 price on the 1400 TeamErickson.

Er, I mean $297

Wait, $296 currently on amazon, Price is going down by the hour it seems

Here's a shocker. I just bought myself the Samsung BD-P1400 for Christmas!!

Wait, can you see that too? Pigs are flying! :D

{Sound of me picking myself up after falling off my chair} :)

Welcome! It will be interesting to see if having both will make you "format neutral" like Vurbano. :haha

Even if it goes the other way and Warner goes HD-DVD, it would take years before the rest of the studios finally go HD-DVD.
QUOTE]

Nah. I don't think anyone is going anywhere right now. BUT.... If Warner did go HD DVD exclusive, Disney would go neutral within 6 months.

S~

What war?

I own both and don't give a rat's rear end if both remain viable for the next 25 years. By then something better like 3D may be enticing us to buy again.

One format is great right now, the other has the potential to be just as good and at the end of the day, I wish all producers would release in both formats, then drop the SD DVD format. Really, the only way to see who wins in a format war is to have all media available in both formats until the decision is final.
Oh, BTW- Something else to consider- Historically speaking Sony has the worst track record for developing new formats and then just dumping them with little notice. The latest huge surprise was when Sony dropped its greatest success- Betacam SP 2 years ago. It wasn't just betamax they flopped at, it was a long list of formats both failure and success stories they chose to drop. It has been their MO for decades. Will they do the same with BluRay? I would not be surprised.

Blu-Ray Bill needs professional help and so does anyone who stays awake demanding that we except one format over the other.

I went with HD-DVD first because:

1. the players came first. 2. They didn't cost $900 upon release. 3. They didn't come from the betamax-minidisk-sacd company.

BluRay Billy didn't get a A-1 free, so he got mad and starting holding his breath until he turned...ah...blu. He got his BR player for free and he pronounces them the winner. Now, he doesn't want either.

For the people here who post page after page of anti-format emotional hand-wringing, please put that energy into curing cancer. I have an A-2 and my son has a PS3, so I don't care who wins. I could understand if it were the CEOs of Sony or Toshiba trying to make the case for one format or another. But for some guy with a website or ....a couple people around here, getting that worked up, over this?

If Sony wins, I'll sell my Tosh and disks to someone on ebay. If Sony loses, I'll send my BR disks to BluRay Bill. It's a hassle to move my kid's PS 3 to the big tv, but it's better than paying $500 for another player.

I don't care who wins this.. I really don't.

Just give me movies.

dodge right now there is little risk jumping in with the HD-A3 for $200 + 10 free movies. That price is little more then the best up converting DVD players. If there is another $98 sale there is even less risk.