You won't believe the Install I saw tonight!

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
Anyway, I went out to my aunt and uncles house for the first time in two years. Last time I was out there, they had just purchased a CRT projection 60" HDTV. I informed them about what HDTV was and they didn't seem to interested in it.

Anyway, fast forward to tonight. I get to their house tonight. I see they now have the original TV, plus a new Sony 46" LCD TV in another room. Near the original TV they have a 622. The CRT Projection didn't look great but i figured I was just used to looking at my 60" LCD Projection. I then was watching the Cowboys game on NFL HD on the new LCD tV and although it looked good, something wasn't right. So I start getting noisy. Here is what I find.

LCD, hooked up via RF cable
CRT Projection hooked up via yellow/red/white video/audio cables

After they just insisted on how well thier HD looked, I had to tell them, no, infact they didn't have an HD signal at either TV. My uncle insisted that they did because they had the dish network guy himself hook it up. :rolleyes: I also went to walmart and bought an HDMI cable to just PROVE the difference. But I figured I wasn't going to argue. He was happy, and didn't want to be told that he didnt' have HD on his two HDTV's. The dish network installer just couldnt' just be lazy/ignorant! :eek:

I don't understand why they didn't at least use the component cables that came with the 622. The second TV will not have HD unless hooked up to its own receiver. I really wish Dish would have an ATSC RF Out on the Second TV Output. Although I understand they are running in to issues because of HDCP BS.

I don't understand why they didn't at least use the component cables that came with the 622. The second TV will not have HD unless hooked up to its own receiver. I really wish Dish would have an ATSC RF Out on the Second TV Output. Although I understand they are running in to issues because of HDCP BS.

Just a FYI, I'm sure everyone here all ready knows, but I have the HDMI out going to my living room TV, and the componet to my bedroom a few feet away. I know both are TV1, but it's kinda hard to be in bed & the living room at the same time ;) I do understand you mean 2 seperate HD outputs.

Just a FYI, I'm sure everyone here all ready knows, but I have the HDMI out going to my living room TV, and the componet to my bedroom a few feet away. I know both are TV1, but it's kinda hard to be in bed & the living room at the same time ;) I do understand you mean 2 seperate HD outputs.

This is the dilema I am having. I want a 42" LCD for the bedroom, and I have my 61" in the living room, which are about 50 ft apart. :(

It's easy to be in two seperate rooms when you are married ;)

This is the dilema I am having. I want a 42" LCD for the bedroom, and I have my 61" in the living room, which are about 50 ft apart. :(

Oh yea, forgot about that part.... guess it's easier when you work opposite shifts!

Don't know what I'm gonna do when we build the new house, and the 2 tv's are to far apart to run a componet cable thru :( might need one of those things I saw a CE Labs that converts componet to cat 5 (I think) and back.

Oh yea, forgot about that part.... guess it's easier when you work opposite shifts!

Don't know what I'm gonna do when we build the new house, and the 2 tv's are to far apart to run a componet cable thru :( might need one of those things I saw a CE Labs that converts componet to cat 5 (I think) and back.

Component to CAT5 is an option. I may do that when we get ready to have our house built. What would be easier is if Dish would enable DVR Playback from a 622 to a 411 over TCP/IP.

If it is new construction then just prewire it the way you want it. I have 5 additional runs of rg6 going from a media closet to the master bedroom, enclosed patio and gameroom in addition to cat 5/6 and phone, and separate sat lines. Sure I have a couple of big wall plates, but they are hidden by the hdtv's. I have a component distribution center in the media closet and can watch video in HD from the 722 on any tv now depending on where we are. I have slowly worked my way down to just a couple of receivers now.

Does Dish now provide the HDMI/component cables with their equipment, and did they at the time your relatives had their system installed?

Just got a 722 and only received the component cables. I have read that some folks have gotten HDMI cables but I think the numbers are few.

If it is new construction then just prewire it the way you want it. I have 5 additional runs of rg6 going from a media closet to the master bedroom, enclosed patio and gameroom in addition to cat 5/6 and phone, and separate sat lines. Sure I have a couple of big wall plates, but they are hidden by the hdtv's. I have a component distribution center in the media closet and can watch video in HD from the 722 on any tv now depending on where we are. I have slowly worked my way down to just a couple of receivers now.

Yes it will be a new build. Are there any sites that give info on reccomended pre-wiring to "future-proof"? I know impossible, but I was thinking at least a cat5/6 & rg6 to every room, but what else & how many? I'm sure there is a reason for the dual RF wall plates, but I can't seem to think of one now, but would hate to finish the house and go, Ohhh yeeeaah, that's why there should be 2 runs!!!

I made a drawing on paper of what I did or might want in each room. Cable is cheap and easy to run when the walls are bare. Most rooms including my garage and outdoor patio has 2 rg6 and 2 cat 5/6 and a phone line. Hdmi options were not that great a few years ago when we built so I ran 5 rg6 to the master bedroom, our enclosed patio, gameroom, and my office for HD via component. These rooms also have the extra 2 rg 6 that other rooms have so I can run OTA and an extra sat receiver if i want to. I would probably run some hdmi cables now if i were doing it. The cat5/6 has worked great for my network as a I the 722 and my HD DVD player have internet connectivity. My 2 desktops are also hardwired. I have since gone wireless for my laptop so some of the cat5/6 was probably not needed, but still I think have future proofed myself for everything that I want to do. I have also ran 6 rg6 from my dish location to the media closet so I have enough connections to play around with FTA stuff and not inbnterfer with my subscription dish wiring. I use a wiring hub similar to the following in my media closet. I also have my ethernet and phone and rf distribution hubs in this closet.

Parts Express:CE Labs AV400COMP Component A/V Distribution Amp 4-Out

A lot of people think I went overboard until they see how it all works. I used about 4000 ft of rg6 and 2000 ft of cat 5/6 and 2000 feet of speaker wire for the in wall speakers. Very little of this wire could be run now with the way the wall and ceiling have been framed. It took me about 2 days to run everything over the weekend before the sheetrockers started closing in the walls and ceilings.

To answer the question from the beginning of this post until it way off topic, I a not sure what dish provided their install customers when the 622 was installed, but for the tech not to tell them that they do not have an HD signal going to either TV when the whole purpose of the install is to install HD is insane in my book. I feel so sorry for people that believe the cable/sat company is going to come out to your house and hook it up for the best possible picture. You think they would, and could even offer a separate "HD installation" charge if they really wanted screw people, but they don't even do that!!

They just allow their state of the art HD equipment to be hooked up incorrectly and not look as good as it should.

P.S. Wouldn't it be in their best interests to hook it up the best way possible, the better it looks, the more people are going to talk about it, and the more people are going to buy Dish.

Lots of people still think that just by having their "HDTV" means they'll be getting HD.

Yes they do!

Go stand in Best Buy or Curciut City and listen to the "Sales people" talk to people about HD tv's. I listened to a guy at Best Buy tell an older couple who had a 27" RCA, that if they bought the Direct HDDVR they would have HD. As I listened to the conversation it became clear to me that we were talking about a CRT and the people were not subscribed to Direct. :eek: I just had to stop them on the way to the cashier and explain a few things to them.

I want a 42" LCD for the bedroom, and I have my 61" in the living room, which are about 50 ft apart. :(

Cybertrip and Bryanw20

I remember last night reading a thread talking about Dish havinh an unadvertised special, that ends very soon, where current customers can get (1) defective remotes replaced; (2) a 622 for free (?); and/or a (3) 722 for about $49 (?).

The prices I listed may not be accurate, but now may be the time to get a second receiver for nothing or next to nothing.

Maybe someone will post the thread, and if I see it in a little bit, I'll edit this post and post it.

Cybertrip and Bryanw20

I remember last night reading a thread talking about Dish havinh an unadvertised special, that ends very soon, where current customers can get (1) defective remotes replaced; (2) a 622 for free (?); and/or a (3) 722 for about $49 (?).

The prices I listed may not be accurate, but now may be the time to get a second receiver for nothing or next to nothing.

Maybe someone will post the thread, and if I see it in a little bit, I'll edit this post and post it.

Here it is:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/118426-christmas-gifts-dish.html

Geoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)