You'll Never Believe How Many People Are Stealing Netflix and Dish's Sling

Motley Fool clickbait!

Sling tv is too new, and there's no way they can have a handle on any cheaters yet, and with a single stream, how could anybody cheat that anyway! Read the very bottom of the page. They want you to buy a subscription to their investing services...

I had someone steal my Netflix password.

Noticed something was fishy when I started to see kids shows come up in my history. The last straw was when there where too many streams going and I couldn't watch the service myself.

I then called Netflix and changed the password. Turned out someone from Sweden was using my account.

It's easy to combat, just knock the accounts down to a single stream, and allow multiple streams when all the content is coming from a single IP address. And all the other devices can see each other on the same network.

The other problem is the cord cheaters but thru would do without rather then even trying to pay.

There are a group of people like me who likes their Netflex and pays for it every month because they are satisfied with the content provided

Then you have the people Who will never pay for a service but need to see the service in action because if it goes away one day they will One day make a decision to be a paying customer

Then there are there are the ones who never pay.

Bandwidth is cheap, I think it's like a drug. Get the product out there import people to start getting used to it.

They one day BAM shut down the cheaters and see how long they can do without

It's kind of hard to believe that SlingTV has any cord cheater problem, let alone 25%, considering that they only allow one stream at a time per account, unless I'm missing something.

I was thinking the same thing then I thought about it and realized they are probably talking about Dish's DVR sling ability. I could easily see kids using their parents sling DVR when away from home for TV.

Reactions: TheKrell
It's easy to combat, just knock the accounts down to a single stream, and allow multiple streams when all the content is coming from a single IP address. And all the other devices can see each other on the same network.
That's not a solution for the simple reason that Netflix isn't a use just at home product. I use it more on my phone or tablet than I do at home. Single stream at one location means that if my roommates are watching at home, I'm SOL on the go. That's a huge reduction in value to me.

Last edited:
I'll believe that there are people who use someone else's credentials to watch Netflix. Usually it's someone else's parents' account...

If it were really important to Netflix to verify that only paying customers were watching you can be sure that Netflix would be cracking down on the practice.

Since the only way I consume Netflix is on my AppleTV, I should lock down my account to a single location/IP Address.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts