Your HD DVD/Blu-ray purchase plans?

What are your HD DVD/Blu-ray purchase plans?

• I am thinking of buying HD DVD

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • I am thinking of buying Blu-ray

Votes: 33 13.6%
  • I am planning to buy both formats

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • I am thinking of buying a dual-format player even if it is much more expensive

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I will wait for a clear winner, even if it takes years

Votes: 50 20.6%
  • I will wait until prices come down

Votes: 68 28.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 25 10.3%

• Total voters

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Well, HD DVD players and first titles are scheduled to hit stores by the end of March.
Blu-ray Disc is expected by the end of June. Decision time!

So, assuming both formats are released, what are your purchase plans?

I will "not" be buying either format until they allow my component only HDTV set to playback full HDTV resolutions. I have two HDTV sets with an HDMI input with HDCP support but I cannot buy one HD DVD player for the above reason even if more of my TVs than not can play everything back fine. I'm all for companies protecting their content but not at the expense of my legal playback rights just because I bought my TV set before HDMI was around. If I could buy a cheap (50 buck range) adapter of sorts I would consider getting one but until that time I won't because I don't think its right.

Tough call.... My fear is to be stuck with the wrong one after investing $$$ on it. I will love to have one of each but that is not reasonable in my household (wife will kill me).

what about adding an vote for when prices come down.

i am most likely waiting for second generation players. i think we will have a duel player or winner by then and the price will have lowered.

I will hold on to my LG upconverting dvd player till the clear winner is called. I can't afford to upgrade my 2 - 942 receivers and my dvd player at the same time this year. There isn't even that many dvds in hd yet anyway.

I cannot see buying either one until some movies are released. Are these player-only machines? Any scoop on the studios acceptance of one or the other?
EDIT: OK, I see the other stickies on movies. Thanks.

I'd love to get one, but unless they allow full HD to Component output, I will not be in the market for one, period.

I think that issue should be included in the Poll selections. The more everyone is aware of this huge problem, the more likely it will be resolved in the consumer's favor (but I'm not at all optomistic).

vicw said:
I'd love to get one, but unless they allow full HD to Component output, I will not be in the market for one, period.
I think that issue should be included in the Poll selections. The more everyone is aware of this huge problem, the more likely it will be resolved in the consumer's favor (but I'm not at all optomistic).

I'm exactly like you as per my earlier post. I also don't think this will end up favoring the consumers for quite a while but I do think within 4 years most of these problems will be solved once we the people stand up and vote the people out that make these crazy requirements and laws to get their cutbacks from the MPAA among others. I think we will stand up but it will take four years until that time. We will all be pretty much screwed until that time though.

I am with Longhorn and Vicw, until I can watch it through my component in HDTV I won't be buying! After spending 5K on my MITS I won't be buying a replacement set for years just to support the HDMI copy protection police!

Well, as for me, I expect Blu-ray to win the Format War, so I think I will be buying a Blu-ray. Being an early adopter, I will most likely grab one in the first week of its release.
The only question is whether I can resist the temptation of getting that $499 HD DVD in March... :)

I agree with you on that one, PS3 will be my choice and I will take advantage of the blue ray player so I will be happy anyway. :)

Alan Gordon said:
Neither.
I'm purchasing a PS3, so even if Blu-Ray doesn't win the format war, I'll still have a PS3!! ;)
~Alan
Well, that means you are going with Blu-ray! PS3 is a Blu-ray player. ;)

Well, I will be getting a Blu-Ray player when I purchase a PS3 in the fall and will get a HD-DVD when I get a XBox 360.

For the time being i'll be playing my Denon 2900s DVD player with DVD Audio and Super Audio CD. I don't think Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will offer D-Audio or S-Audio DVD player anytime soon. As for who will win the HD war my money is on Blu-Ray.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)