Your Local Forecast...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chef-Patrick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Hi all,

Does anybody else wonder if it would be possible to get local weather info on the weather channel like cable does. That's the only thing that I realy miss about comcast.

I miss it but not enough to go back :D

here in indy you do get the local weather channel on you OTA you get like 13-1 and 13-2 . 13-2 is the local weather.

I don't know if this is available in other states, but here in Ohio we now have a 24-hour OTA weather channel "NBC Weather PLUS". It just started this month. This used to be an SD equivalent of NBC-HD: not any more!

Bilodeaumj said:
Here in San Diego we just stick our heads out the door and say "yeah, more sunshine"...

And here in NH we look outside and if we don't like what we see, we try again in 5 minutes

And in Portland, we don't need to look out the window as the rain streaks are running down the windows.

In the Sacramento area, there are two channels that broadcast the weather radar, unfortunately, my favored station, NBC, is the one that I have the most problem receiving...Vicki

Here in Seattle NBC 5-2 is doing weather 24/7. However, I prefer the detailed forecasts available right here while I'm typing.

Still enjoying HDTV while sitting on the edge of a rainstorm (local radar) in Seattle, Gill

The Weather Channel Local Info is fed directly to the Cable Provider and it requires a special connection to receive that information. This has always been the case with having a satellite system. I have had this same situation with no local information with all of the satellite providers that I have had, Dish, DirecTV, BUD, & VOOM. I have to rely on the local channels & the WEB for this information.

bryansr said:
The Weather Channel Local Info is fed directly to the Cable Provider and it requires a special connection to receive that information. This has always been the case with having a satellite system. I have had this same situation with no local information with all of the satellite providers that I have had, Dish, DirecTV, BUD, & VOOM. I have to rely on the local channels & the WEB for this information.

That's what I tought. Altough depending where you are or what cable company is available, I have seen different font and graphic quality for "You Local on the 8's".

I am sure that if they really wanted to provide this information to us Voomer or other sat people, they could find a way to do it. That can't be much harder than blocking channel or programs based on location, i.e. blacking out local games.

Ilya said:
I don't know if this is available in other states, but here in Ohio we now have a 24-hour OTA weather channel "NBC Weather PLUS". It just started this month. This used to be an SD equivalent of NBC-HD: not any more!
Same here in South Florida And Fox has one as well...

bryansr said:
I guess you don't get channel 100 on Dish.

It has your local weather. :shocked

I think that what chef-Patrick is asking for would require about 1500 localized weather channels to accomplish. I really think that this is NOT feasible for ANY satellite provider, let alone one that only has 46,000 subscribers. :D ;)

It is being done on dish and DTV right now. With one station on each service.

All of the data is probably being beamed to the receiver, but the receiver picks out your info based on your zip code and displays it.

Thanks for the info Ron Jeremy, I only have satellite experience with Voom, and wasn't aware that Dish and Direct offered a localized weather channel. I am still waiting for Direct to turn on the 1500 HD channels that can be received nationally. :rolleyes:

I will switch to any provider that can supply over 50 channels of true HD quality (1920 x 1080i) content for a reasonable price.

Edit:

Heck, I would change to a provider that could supply 10 true HD quality channels. Right now, Voom is the closest thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)