your opinion on this c/ku LNBF please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
hello again,
what do you folks think of this c/ku lnbf?

http://www.smallear.com/V4000/v4kspec.htm

I realize the specs arent the greatest, but it would solve a couple of problems i have. This unit does not use a polarotor, polarity is controlled via the RG6, eliminating the need for any newer receiver that i purchase to have +5 / pulse / ground connections.

I really want to be able to control all aspects of my BUD FTA system with just ONE reciever and a DISecQ actuator positioner, including dish movement/ polarity /skew. If ya have any better ideas of how to do this please let me know.

Well from a fast search I did these guys go for $100 +. Since you have a 30" dish already why not get a switch to combine the input from it with the 10' dish you have?

drhydro said:
hello again,

I realize the specs arent the greatest, but it would solve a couple of problems i have. This unit does not use a polarotor, polarity is controlled via the RG6, eliminating the need for any newer receiver that i purchase to have +5 / pulse / ground connections.

I really want to be able to control all aspects of my BUD FTA system with just ONE reciever and a DISecQ actuator positioner, including dish movement/ polarity /skew. If ya have any better ideas of how to do this please let me know.

drhydro said:
hello again,

I would not go for a lnbf, with big dish it is best to have lnbs.

Ken2400, my 30" isnt motorized and i figure ill get better KU reception if i add KU capability to my BUD.

tdti,
i was thinking of picking up a chaparral II corotor and some good LNBs. The only problem with that is that the chapparal uses a polorotor and most of the newer / better recievers dont have +5 / pulse / ground outputs to control a polorotor. Well at least the ones ive looked at dont, the pansat 2500 and the fortec ultra. The satworks 3688 does have those outputs, but doesnt have AC3 out. decisions, decisions.......

Oh I see. I would be interested in the quility numbers from the 30" and the 10' off the same sat to see how this all pans out.

Ken

drhydro said:
Ken2400, my 30" isnt motorized and i figure ill get better KU reception if i add KU capability to my BUD.

drhydro said:
tdti,
i was thinking of picking up a chaparral II corotor and some good LNBs. The only problem with that is that the chapparal uses a polorotor and most of the newer / better recievers dont have +5 / pulse / ground outputs to control a polorotor. Well at least the ones ive looked at dont, the pansat 2500 and the fortec ultra. The satworks 3688 does have those outputs, but doesnt have AC3 out. decisions, decisions.......

Well like me and most others with a bud, slave the dvb to a old analog box or a 4dtv.

C/Ku combo LNBFs in one device fail miserably at isolation.
You will be sorry, because the first place reception will fall apart will be on Ku-band. Cal Amp tried perfecting one of these devices for years, and never succeeded. Now you have offshore made devices - for cheap - and you get what you pay for. As already stated in this thread, a C/Ku feedhorn with polarizer is the best for overall performance and isolation. (ADL RP-3 or
Astrotel PM-93 are suggested). The Pansat 2500A DOES have a 3-wire polarizer connection. Another alternative, but needing at least a 4-input DiSEqC switch, would be a 2-C band, 2 Ku-band feed such as the 2+2 series from ADL, or other equivalents. Downside is the expense of buying 4 LNBs, plus no polarity fine tuning if you are moving around the arc.

mike, thanks for your post.
I guess ill toss this idea in the trashcan and go with a c/ku feedhorn with polarotor. I played with the idea of using a 2-c band 2 ku band feedhorn, but decided against it because i could not do any fine tuning. Thanks for letting me know the pansat has a 3 wire polarotor connection, as i had been informed that it did not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts