Your option about uverse

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Camdog916

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
My girlfriend just got U-Verse the other day and she loves it. Mainly because you can record 4 shows at once but I need to know about the service. My mom was going to have it installed last weekend until AT&T screwed up with the installation. I am thinking of getting it because I can get much faster DSL speed and it seem to be comparable to the price of my Dish service. The problem is that I LOVE MY DVR on Dish and don't want to give it up unless U Verse is just as good. What about the HD service? Do they have the same HD channels as Dish does? And option would help.

Thanks!

You don't have to get their crappy TV service to get internet, you can get just internet only.

I got the package right now with 18 Meg internet for $65/mo, and use Dish for my TV service.

As far as recording 4 things at once, its a benifit but they forget to tell you that if you have more than 1 television the extra tuners are used for other TV's simmilar to what Dish does with their DVR's

Claude Greiner said:
As far as recording 4 things at once, its a benefit but they forget to tell you that if you have more than 1 television the extra tuners are used for other TV's simmilar to what Dish does with their DVR's
Currently, in most areas, you only get 2 HD & 2 SD feeds at any one time (AT&T is starting to roll out 3 HD & 1 SD in select cities). This applies to your whole house, no matter how many boxes you have (max is 8, at $7 per addtl box). So if you have a lot of people living in one house, it's important to know that you are all limited to the same 4 active tuners at any one time (ie: 8 boxes could not be tuned to 8 different channels at the same time).

You get one DVR that is accessed & shared by all other boxes in the house. I believe that all 8 boxes could watch 8 different recorded programs at the same time (all HD, SD, or any combination thereof), while also recording 4 new programs (2 HD & 2 SD). However, I can't guarantee that since I only have one box for one person.

Last edited:
You don't have to get their crappy TV service to get internet, you can get just internet only.

I got the package right now with 18 Meg internet for $65/mo, and use Dish for my TV service.

As far as recording 4 things at once, its a benifit but they forget to tell you that if you have more than 1 television the extra tuners are used for other TV's simmilar to what Dish does with their DVR's

Well you must live in a special area cause the highest I can get is 6.0 mgs on DSL unless I get uverse. Plus if I were to have that high of speed and had to pay that much I might as well get uverse and get tv and DSL for that price.

Well you must live in a special area cause the highest I can get is 6.0 mgs on DSL unless I get uverse. Plus if I were to have that high of speed and had to pay that much I might as well get uverse and get tv and DSL for that price.

Claude is referring to U-verse internet. You're not required to have U-verse TV in order to have U-verse internet. AT&T does charge a $149 installation fee if you sign up for U-verse internet without TV. They waive the installation fee if you sign up for both TV & internet. Many people who want internet only will sign up for both TV & internet to avoid the installation fee, and then cancel the TV service at a later time (anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks). There is no charge or penalty for canceling the TV service. Some people who originally signed up for TV to avoid the installation charge and planned on canceling the TV service end up liking the TV service and keeping it.

I've had both U-verse TV and internet for about a year and a half now, and have loved it from day one. I switched from Dish Network TV and Time Warner Cable internet. I think the picture quality is as good as or better than my Dish Network was, and I don't lose service every time it might even come close to raining. I also get more channels for less money than I was paying Dish. The internet is WAY faster than Time Warner, and there's no way I'd ever go back to Time Warner.

Last edited:
My girlfriend just got U-Verse the other day and she loves it. Mainly because you can record 4 shows at once but I need to know about the service. My mom was going to have it installed last weekend until AT&T screwed up with the installation. I am thinking of getting it because I can get much faster DSL speed and it seem to be comparable to the price of my Dish service. The problem is that I LOVE MY DVR on Dish and don't want to give it up unless U Verse is just as good. What about the HD service? Do they have the same HD channels as Dish does? And option would help.

Thanks!

Have had Dish and Diwrecked here and been on U-verse for a while now.

The U-verse internet rocks. I replaced my so called 10-20 MB cable broadband with the 3 MB and its actually FASTER than cable was.

U-verse has virtually every HD channel available, many more than Dish or Diwrecked, and no, not boosted ala Diwrecked via PPVs or funny counting like Dish. The last legit comparison I saw had FIOS with an extra HD channel that U-verse didn't have, but cannot remember what it was. The quality of the channels in HD is as good or BETTER than what you can get anywhere else. With good selection of channels and awesome PQ, we like it much better than E*, D*, or cable.

The DVR is true whole house, playback in any connected room, HD or SD recordings. My wife likes the ATT offering better than anything we have had in the past, but I think the menu is a bit on the "spoon-fed" side, but its very usable, after you get used to it. Honestly, the DVR reminds me of TiVo more than anything, it seems that the developers really went for ease of use to me.

I've had Uverse for a little over 2 yrs now. It's a really good service. Great SD PQ, really good HD PQ, depending on the particular channel. Internet service is really good. I've got the 3.0 mbp's and it's pretty darn fast. In fact, it's all I need. I also have the Uvoice phone service and it's not to bad. But, don't let anyone fool you, it's not infallible like some Uverse slappys over on Utalk.com seem to think. They think it's the be all, end all of tv service. We get outtages just like other services, mostly screen freeze or for no reason, sometimes one of the STB's will shutoff for no reason and reload while you're watching a program. It's not a critical issue but, I don't see much difference between that or rain fade with a dish. The Utalk slappys who used to have DTV or Dish, talk like rain fade lasted for days. In reality, it didn't. When I had DTV, it might a couple of minutes here or there but, never long periods of time. Another complaint about Uverse is the fact they don't carry MLB Network, nor do they offer the sports subscription services like Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings and no sign that they will anytime soon.

I've had it for about two weeks now. They can't deliver on the max 18mb internet speed so I backed back down to 12 meg. Not going to pay for something they can't deliver.

Going to cancel the TV. They can't match my Dish setup at the price they are charging.

I just left UVERSE for Direct. I left, not because of the TV quality, but because of their billing procedures, and customer support.

A few days ago I received a letter from them to come back to UVERSE, but it won't happen.

DirectTV now has whole home DVR which allows one to record and view any program from any receiver in your house. Unlike UVERSE I can have multiple DVRS, and they can all be hooked up and shared with their whole home DVR. Also no restrictions on number of HD streams that can come into your house

I have had Dish, Direct, and UVERSE. Each have their own pros and cons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)