YouTube app on HWS

billowens

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 12, 2008
East Texas
For the first time today, I decided to listen to music on the Youtube app running to surround sound system. No audio at all. When I closed the Youtube app, the receiver went back to the channel I was watching and the sound came thru the surround system. We frequently use the surround sound system while watching TV coming from HWS, but the only way I can get sound from the Youtube app is thru the TV speakers.
What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my cheap phone using the SatelliteGuys app!

For the first time today, I decided to listen to music on the Youtube app running to surround sound system. No audio at all. When I closed the Youtube app, the receiver went back to the channel I was watching and the sound came thru the surround system. We frequently use the surround sound system while watching TV coming from HWS, but the only way I can get sound from the Youtube app is thru the TV speakers.
What am I doing wrong?

Hello, billowens. As the audio issue is only happening when on the Youtube app, we would want to double check that the Hopper is showing high enough download speeds for the app. The minimum speeds are 3 Mbps for SD, 5 Mbps for HD, and 35 Mbps for 4K/Ultra HD.

To run a check on the speeds, you will want to press the Menu button two times or the Home button three times. Then select Status > Send Status > Test Connections. If the test shows that the speed is enough to watch the video quality selected on the Youtube app, we would want to submit this information to our Tech Ops team. To submit that information, please reach out to us here.

Hello, billowens. As the audio issue is only happening when on the Youtube app, we would want to double check that the Hopper is showing high enough download speeds for the app. The minimum speeds are 3 Mbps for SD, 5 Mbps for HD, and 35 Mbps for 4K/Ultra HD.
That is interesting. I was not aware that the Hopper w/Sling could even do 4K/Ultra HD in the YouTube app. I personally use a Hopper Duo. At this point, I would settle for a SD-only YouTube app, which would at least be better than no YouTube at all, like it is now.

Funny that the hd and 4k res are listed. I did a little snooping on the yt app a while back. Played a 4k video on an h3 connected directly to my 4k tv and looked at the stats for nerds and shows the resolution at a crisp 720p. Yt videos don’t even play in progressive format.

Reactions: pattykay
IMHO, internet speed should have no bearing on the audio issue. I subscribed to Netflix for a year and the audio came thru my sound system just fine, 2 channel, but fine.
I finally broke down and call tech service and spoke with a supervisor. He did find this is an known issue and the programmers are aware, but no idea when it will be fixed. BTW, he agreed the internet speed would have no effect on the audio of the apps like YouTube.

IMHO, internet speed should have no bearing on the audio issue. I subscribed to Netflix for a year and the audio came thru my sound system just fine, 2 channel, but fine.
I finally broke down and call tech service and spoke with a supervisor. He did find this is an known issue and the programmers are aware, but no idea when it will be fixed. BTW, he agreed the internet speed would have no effect on the audio of the apps like YouTube.

it must be a software problem where the app doesn’t know the optical port is present or is disabled. There‘s no programming an app to output audio through different ports depending on the internet speed. 3mbps? Composite audio. 5mbps? Optical. 7mbps!? that‘s hdmi territory. 25mbps!!? Send it over Bluetooth.

• Haha
Reactions: pattykay
it must be a software problem where the app doesn’t know the optical port is present or is disabled. There‘s no programming an app to output audio through different ports depending on the internet speed. 3mbps? Composite audio. 5mbps? Optical. 7mbps!? that‘s hdmi territory. 25mbps!!? Send it over Bluetooth.
That would get to be very inconvenient when it starts buffering, and your speed drops below the threshold needed for the audio output you were listening to. :oldlaugh ;)

Reactions: Cesar_ser_4
I have always believed that there is not enough RAM in the Hoppers to support running any of those video apps, Netflix, YouTube, etc. Just my take.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have always believed that there is not enough RAM in the Hoppers to support running any of those video apps, Netflix, YouTube, etc. Just my take.
For the original Hoppers, you may very well be correct, since that model does not even have Netflix, the last time I checked. However, Dish's advertising (or at least the ads from a reseller that I get in my weekly junk mail) does not exactly make this clear. It prominently displays the Netflix and YouTube logos, along with a message "YouTube now available on your Hopper!" without specifying which Hopper models actually support these apps. To make things worse, the specific Hopper model pictured next to these blurbs is a Hopper Duo. The Hopper Duo does support Netflix (I use that all of the time) but still does not have YouTube. Also, as I have already said, the Hopper 1 does not support either app. You may think that last part does not make any difference, since these ads are intended to attract new customers, rather than advertise a feature to existing customers. However, some new customers with really poor credit are still being installed with Hopper 1's, and I imagine that they would be very disappointed to find out that their brand-new Hopper does not have all of the advertised features. To make things even worse, by the time they find this out, they are now locked into a two-year contract with a very hefty early termination fee that they most likely cannot possibly afford to pay. This whole situation smells of bait-and-switch. So, I really hope that Dish cracks down on this type of advertising, to make absolutely sure that their advertising claims are crystal-clear, before the customer signs up for service.

Reactions: billowens

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)