YouTube Potential Dispute with Disney

Youtube tv has very few employees or hardware to support..its only real expense is programming...Dish on the other hand has a satellite infrastructure, call centers and field tech to support...while it would be no big deal for yahoo to cut a price $15 when they lose programming...dish would have to layoff employees to do the same
That makes sense if the price drop is more than the customer's cost for the programming being lost. If the price drop equals the customer's cost for the programming, then all of the overhead for the staffing and infrastructure should still be in the discounted price. Since we don't know what YTTV is paying/charging for Disney, we don't know if their discount equals the programming cost or not.

Nope. DirecTV Stream does 1080p. Maybe something is amiss with the DTV Stream servers for you. But I know for a fact that they stream most channels in 1080p.
Well, you spurred my interest so dug out my gen 2 Fire Tv that also supports the Directv stream, and what a difference. It looks much better with no pixelation after changing channels or when it goes into commercials. Both were happening with the Roku. Seriously thinking of switching over now. Thanks for the feedback that got me to dig deeper into the issue.

Reactions: NashGuy
I had YouTube TV for three years before switching to DirecTV Stream in March 2021 for my RSN. And PQ didn't miss a beat when I switched. I heard from people that know how to measure this stuff at home that the DirecTV stream bitrate is higher than YTTV's, and that would appear to be confirmed by the noticeable jump in my data usage since the switch. I highly recommend the Roku app over FireTV.

Reactions: NashGuy and camo
I respect your opinion but find FireTV 2nd Gen looks great vs the Roku Ultra. I'll have to go back and make sure the PQ was set to "Best" on the Roku. I didn't find that setting until I had already switched to Fire TV and the default was already at "Best" so suspect the Roku is the same. I have no streaming speed issues with 500 Mbps fiber the Roku test connection was showing 60 Mbps.

I respect your opinion but find FireTV 2nd Gen looks great vs the Roku Ultra. I'll have to go back and make sure the PQ was set to "Best" on the Roku. I didn't find that setting until I had already switched to Fire TV and the default was already at "Best" so suspect the Roku is the same. I have no streaming speed issues with 500 Mbps fiber the Roku test connection was showing 60 Mbps.
What is the port on the tv set at?

This is the first I've heard of inferior picture quality for DTV Stream on their Roku app versus other devices but, who knows, could be a bug in the latest update for Roku? Or something to do with how the DTV Stream app interacts with the latest Roku OS update for your specific model box? It's really hard to pin down where issues arise with streaming video because there are so many different factors, a nearly infinite number of possible combinations of internet services, speeds, routers, streaming devices, software versions, etc.

I use a 2020 Roku Ultra, and the DirecTV Stream quality is excellent. There were some issues when I first made the switch in March where it would buffer and crash at least once a day, but I haven't had any problems since a major app update in mid July. With that update, they added a more robust pause feature with a 60-minute pause buffer that allows full trick play functions. My experiences and screenshots were the basis of this article:

Another advantage of the Roku app over FireTV (I have a 4K FireTV stick) is the Roku app has preview thumbnails when you FF/RW recorded programing, as you can see in the images in that article.

I never use my 4K FireTV stick anymore as the DTV Stream experience is so much superior on Roku. I'm not familiar with any "best" settings on either device. I just hook it up and it works. If I have PQ issues, I toggle my TV's preset image settings.

Last edited:
Screw that greedy mouse and his overpriced entertainment.
It isn't just what they are doing in the TV space. People are furious about what they are doing at their amusement parks. Adding mediocre rides while jacking up prices and nickle-and-diming customers to priority access to things. Not to mention laying off thousands, forcing engineers to move to Florida or lose their jobs, and off-shoring their IT operations. We used to love going with our extended family, but a few days at Disney now costs us more than a week in Hawaii at a luxury resort.

I use a 2020 Roku Ultra, and the DirecTV Stream quality is excellent. There were some issues when I first made the switch in March where it would buffer and crash at least once a day, but I haven't had any problems since a major app update in mid July. With that update, they added a more robust pause feature with a 60-minute pause buffer that allows full trick play functions. My experiences and screenshots were the basis of this article:

Another advantage of the Roku app over FireTV (I have a 4K FireTV stick) is the Roku app has preview thumbnails when you FF/RW recorded programing, as you can see in the images in that article.

I never use my 4K FireTV stick anymore as the DTV Stream experience is so much superior on Roku. I'm not familiar with any "best" settings on either device. I just hook it up and it works. If I have PQ issues, I toggle my TV's preset image settings.
Best, good, fair settings are under preference. The pause feature is also on firetv using the gen2 box replaced with the newer cube connected with an ethernet connection. The 15-second skip forward or reverse preview box work with firetv on live TV.

Attachments

• preview.JPG
    preview.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 147
  • best.JPG
    best.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: Zookster
This is subjective of course but IMO the Roku has a crappy image. Same TV, the same camera no adjustments.

Attachments

• Roku.JPG
    Roku.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 148
  • firetv.JPG
    firetv.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 132
Same HDMI input?
Sure was HDMI input #1 and the Roku is the latest and greatest Ultra. I've got a new FireTv cube 3rd gen with the faster processor coming mainly because the old firetv box I'm using remote has no volume control built into the unit. Crazy what was considered acceptable just a few years ago.

Sure was HDMI input #1 and the Roku is the latest and greatest Ultra. I've got a new FireTv cube 3rd gen with the faster processor coming mainly because the old firetv box I'm using remote has no volume control built into the unit. Crazy what was considered acceptable just a few years ago.
You only need 1 remote to control the volume..any remote for any box because its controlling the volume on the tv..no need to replace firetv

It isn't just what they are doing in the TV space. People are furious about what they are doing at their amusement parks. Adding mediocre rides while jacking up prices and nickle-and-diming customers to priority access to things. Not to mention laying off thousands, forcing engineers to move to Florida or lose their jobs, and off-shoring their IT operations. We used to love going with our extended family, but a few days at Disney now costs us more than a week in Hawaii at a luxury resort.
LOL, that's absolutely nuts! I've been to both DisneyWorld and Disneyland a few times in my life and honestly can't see the appeal given what they now charge (along with changes they've apparently made to the customer experience).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)