You've probably answered this before

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So it's been a year and I realize I have not said thank you. Although I did for the most part manage to set up the satellite with relative ease, I've had only mixed success with my main objective.

I'd been meaning to come around to asking someone here for some guidance but never could make time.

So here's the issue. I set up my satellite and pointed it at GlobeCast Galaxy 19. I got the MicroHD receiver to do a scan and got most of the channels I was expecting, albeit I could not get the signal strength to go past 90% and Signal quality past 73%. I figured most of the channels worked so my assumption is that that's good enough. Now when i went and tried the same thing on my PC using a DVB-S2 tuner card, all I could get is a few channels, far less than what I managed to get on the MicroHD. Given the small form factor of my PC, I could not plug in a power cable that the PCIe card seems to require so I am not sure if that played any role. My assumption is that it may serve a power source for amplifying the signal, something that I suspect the MicroHD is doing to get all those extra channels.

So, now, having spent all that money, I have not been able to accomplish none of what I set out to accomplish. My main objective is to capture and live stream online 2 FTA channels I had a particular interest in. And now one of those channels does not even show up on the MicroHD anymore. I just see a dark blue screen. I know the channel is not down because other homes can receive it.

If anyone has any ideas on what I should do next, I would most appreciate it. You guys are always helpful here.

Here is what I currently have:
http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6981-dvb-s2-dual-tuner-pcie-card.html

I am wondering if I should have gotten either of these two instead:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006O8A5Q6/?tag=satell01-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AY9ZHC8/?tag=satell01-20

The first one does not seem to need any additional power. The second one makes an explicit support for IPTV, which considering what I am trying to do, is a good sign.

But there is too much uncertainty about whether or not I can even get any of these channels to appear on my computer.

Thanks again

Looks like you have/want a dual tuner PC card...but what's your LNBF setup? I see Iceberg last mentioned that you need a dual output LNBF. Is that what you have?

Yes, that is what I have. I have confirmed that I am able to use both the tuner card and the MicroHD receiver simultaneously. I have two dual LNBFs with unicable support. So technically, with a splitter, it should be able to support 4 receivers.

I wrote most of the FAQ called Switches Simplified, and the minute someone says "splitter", I see red! :)
Which dual lnbfs and what switch configuration are you using?

I wrote most of the FAQ called Switches Simplified, and the minute someone says "splitter", I see red! :)

Lol Pardon my ignorance. Laziness on my part I suppose. As someone who's worked with network switches, I should have known better than to equate it to what practically amounts to a "hub." Won't happen again. :D

I actually do not have any switches set up. The LNBFs feed directly to the MicroHD receiver and DVB-S2 card respectively.

This is what I use:

http://www.satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=666&ws_cat=433

Lol Pardon my ignorance. Laziness on my part I suppose. As someone who's worked with network switches, I should have known better than to equate it to what practically amounts to a "hub." Won't happen again. :D

I actually do not have any switches set up. The dual output LNBF feeds directly to the MicroHD receiver and DVB-S2 card respectively.

This is what I use:

11175.jpg

So the microHD gets a bunch of channels, but the PC Card tuner doesn't. MicroHD to one LNBF port, PC tuner to the other. Switch 'em around..see if the symptoms 'reverse'. (BTW: remove power when messing with the coaxes. unplug the microHD, power down the PC) If not:
Check LNB voltage, with LNBF attached, for 16 to 18v on H polarity, ~13v vertical. May need to build a "T" so a voltmeter can attach to the center conductor.
Your picture of the LNBF appears to be a SatAV SL2. AFAIK, it's a standard Ku, not unicable(bandstacked) but with a multiswitch could drive 4 to ??? receivers.

Oh okay, it probably isn't a unicable then. It does support 4 receivers though with a multiswitch, as illustrated here:
MultiRoom_OneSat_Connect.png

Although i can't seem to figure out what the purpose of the following set up is:

MultiRoom_Connect.png

By the way, I did try switching the lines and it made no difference. It seems to me that the signal is not properly being amplified by the PCIe card, though I am only speculating. It would seem to me that the power port on the card would be for that purpose.

Yes, if you don't have adequate power to the tuner card, you wont get proper function. Most likely you have some power from the PCIe bus, but if you say there is a power port that you cant reach, or plug in. You lack the 12 volt bus from your power supply (Most likely supplies lnb power and polarity switching).

Is your coax cable Rg-6 or Rg-59? How long of a run is it from the receivers to the lnb? What kind of cable ends, compression or crimped or screw-on? Coax isn't crimped (even partially crushed) through a window, or under a heater vent into the crawlspace (instead of drilling a hole)? Or folded over and wire-tied? Is your lnb set to 10750 on both receivers? That's an excellent choice for an lnb by the way.

Last edited:
I can't tell you what my coax cable type is, but it was what shipped with my Dish and receiver. It was a kit that was recommended on the first page on this thread. None of the wires are tied, crimped or being crushed. they come into the house through a designated hole. There is no obstruction or damage to the wires whatsoever.

I have my suspicions about why these channels are not appearing on the PC but are on the MicroHD, but the fact that some of the channels have now stopped displaying anything, even though they are picked up has stumped me in particular.

I think that MMEWrench is correct that the PC card is not providing the voltage to control the switch for horizontal or vertical selection. Until the PCI card can be correctly connected to the required power supply, there probably is no reliable way to select the desired polarity with the PC.

The PC card is likely tuning only channels that are on the polarity previously selected for the port. If it is connected to a port that is currently set to Horizontal you are trying to tune a vertical channel, the channel will not lock as it is looking at the wrong polarity and cannot switch it. Unless the CI card is outputting the correct voltage on the LNB IN port, the switch or the LNBF polarity selection cannot be controlled.

If you test the voltage on the PCI LNB IN port, you will probably find that it is not 13Vdc on Vertical or 18Vdc on Horizontal transponders.

Can you say exactly why you are unable to plug in that power connector? Is it because you don't have an extra pigtail on your power supply, or is it just too short.

My PC didn't come with the necessary 4-pin molex power connector (as these are no longer used in Serial ATA based HDDs). I had an external adapter that could supply it with power, but I would have to keep the tower open and I am not sure if it would be the correct voltage.

If you're up for it, replacing a power supply isn't that hard. It's just a matter of unplugging the wires, removing four screws, and swapping in the new one. You just need to make sure it has enough connectors for all your components, and the right kinds. Mine (OCZ brand 700W) has modular cables, so any excess ones are stored away in a bin of spare computer parts. It has SATA, molex, 4- or 8-pin CPU power, and a 20+4 for the motherboard. I think it also has a few 12-volt wires for video cards. You probably could save a few bucks and don't need a full 700 watts, unless your PC is full of cards and hard drives like mine.

Okay, I will look into that. Thank you.

That still leaves me with a few questions though. First, why is it that this (more expensive) model does not require any additional power (is it because it's meant for feed hunting?):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006O8A5Q6/?tag=satell01-20

And would I still be able to capture and broadcast/stream multiple channels in the same way I could presumably do with this card (since it explicitly states it):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AY9ZHC8/?tag=satell01-20

Thirdly, I have no clue why some channels just show a black screen when I tune to them. They used to work before (like Al Jazeera English). Would a low signal quality do that? My assumption was that it would indicate that there is no signal. Could it be the receiver? Anyone here with a dish pointed to Galaxy 19 who can confirm these for me?

I guess my other question also is, what is the best way to achieve my objectives? Would it be better to just purchase a linux based receiver and configure it to stream content? (I would also like a DVR functionality) So far, I haven't been able to confirm that these DreamBox/Enigma 2 based receivers can stream multiple channels at once, which is what I would ideally like to do.

My PC didn't come with the necessary 4-pin molex power connector (as these are no longer used in Serial ATA based HDDs). I had an external adapter that could supply it with power, but I would have to keep the tower open and I am not sure if it would be the correct voltage.

Try an adaptor cable before buying a power supply. Here is one that should work and may be available locally: http://www.microcenter.com/product/...n_SATA_Power__Molex_4-pin_Power_Adapter_Cable

Thirdly, I have no clue why some channels just show a black screen when I tune to them. They used to work before (like Al Jazeera English). Would a low signal quality do that? My assumption was that it would indicate that there is no signal. Could it be the receiver? Anyone here with a dish pointed to Galaxy 19 who can confirm these for me?

Al Jazeera English is no longer broadcast to the United States. Some receivers will say something about the signal being bad or scrambled if you try to tune to a non-existent channel, others will just display a black screen.

Stuff moves around so much on 97W Ku that sometimes you just have to clear it all out and do a fresh scan if you don't want to have a lot of blank channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)