Yucky Weather!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
It has been raining since yesterday afternoon - we have so much ice - can't even walk in the grass! 50mph winds.....not good. I have about an inch of ice on my motorized dish's lnb. Motor still moves just fine! THis afternoon, the blizzard hits...... 13-20 inches of snow! Oh boy!

yep. Talked to a friend of mine just down the road from you in CR and yesterday her car actually slid down her driveway almost onto the road :eek:
(I asked if it was an automatic and yes it was)

here in Mpls we got ice. I went out on the deck and slid across it. Now its snowing. We dont have the bad winds yet. about 10 inches here we're suppose to get (or so they say...it was originally 18")

I warmed up my car this am to go to work (thank god for remote start), got into the car, (2005 Chevy Malibu MAX - goes through any type of weather), put it in drive, pulled out of drivway into the street - hmmmm...don't seem to be going anywhere, so I tried to back back into the driveway..........car would not budge - so I went to pull into the driveway next door - vacant lot - and got hung up half in the driveway half in the street. So put some salt under the tires, waitied a bit abd got the car into the driveway next door. Went out a few hours late and was able to move car back to our driveway. I stood in my side yard that buts up against a highway, and watch a semi ruck and trailer ge pulled out of the ditch. Still raining pretty hard :(

It's freezing rain here. It's snapping branches off my trees in my yard and we have some utility poles leaning and they look like they could go down too. It was my weekend to work (at HAL) and I started out from home, until we lost power. Power still is out at home, but on in Rochester. It took me over 45 minutes to get the ice off my car so I could head into the office. It was a good inch thick. (tip of finger to first knuckle) Never seen that much ice before on a vehicle, let alone mine.

Still raining here LOTS o ice...maybe I should host a party? THe snow iscoming in an hour or so.......up to 20 inches! HELP!!!!!!!! :)

iafirebuff - I'm just a ways south of you, and we're getting tons of ice. Trees & limbs down everywhere. I have a nice hole in the roof of the garage where a tree fell through (just missed smashing the wife's new mustang), my wife and my motorcycles both got crunched (haven't lifed the tarp to see how bad) by 1/2 of a fallen tree, and one satellite dish got torn completely off the roof on the back of the house by a falling branch. We're lucky to have power back so that we can stay warm while we watch trees/branches drop all around cars/house/boat/camper/etc. Fun stuff.

I have a nice hole in the roof of the garage where a tree fell through (just missed smashing the wife's new mustang), my wife and my motorcycles both got crunched (haven't lifed the tarp to see how bad).
Should you lift the tarp and check on your wife? lol
Bob

Should you lift the tarp and check on your wife? lol
Bob
Yeah, I realized that I worded that pretty poorly:rolleyes: If she was really under the tarp, I'd know how bad things were - if she was screaming at me, then she's okay.. if not, then I know that I'm rich :eek:

Hello neighbor! Where abouts are you located? This is way nasty! It has finally changed to mostly snow. Our trees are about ready to split. Have lost lost of branches. All around is is without power, but luckliy - KNOCK ON WOOD - we still have it. But go 1/2 mile in about any direction and no power. They are setting up shelters for people to go to that don't have power. Well, will see how much snow we get. I am going to go run the dish the full arc to keep her loose!

iafirebuff - I'm just a ways south of you, and we're getting tons of ice. Trees & limbs down everywhere. I have a nice hole in the roof of the garage where a tree fell through (just missed smashing the wife's new mustang), my wife and my motorcycles both got crunched (haven't lifed the tarp to see how bad) by 1/2 of a fallen tree, and one satellite dish got torn completely off the roof on the back of the house by a falling branch. We're lucky to have power back so that we can stay warm while we watch trees/branches drop all around cars/house/boat/camper/etc. Fun stuff.

Hello neighbor! Where abouts are you located? This is way nasty! It has finally changed to mostly snow. Our trees are about ready to split. Have lost lost of branches. All around is is without power, but luckliy - KNOCK ON WOOD - we still have it. But go 1/2 mile in about any direction and no power. They are setting up shelters for people to go to that don't have power. Well, will see how much snow we get. I am going to go run the dish the full arc to keep her loose!
I'm in Oskaloosa, which is just a bit more south from Cedar Rapids (I know your area pretty well though since I lived in Waverly for many years). We get power and lose it quite often right now. I just took my daughter to work, and I'm glad she wanted a ride cuz when I got back, there was a HUGE branch where I had my van previously parked (I thought it was safe there, but apparently my "calculations" on where branches might fall were off by way too much).

BTW - are you associated with a fire station? I used to write software for fire station management!

My father retired from the Cedar Falls Fire Department after 34 years, so I was raised as a "firebuff" :) It is always nice to know of fellow Iowans on this board :)

Not particularly, but my Mom wouldn't mind if you sent some snow her way. Something we rarely get to see, we usually (even it's rare) get what it sounds like you're getting now, Frozen Rain!(maybe mixxed) Mostly though, if it gets below 33 degrees it stops, and all we get is cold, cold, cold, to the bone. Which we don't like.

Al

We just got done ahving about 4-5 weeks of sun zero temps. Wind chills were in the -20's the whole time. Oh well.....spring will be here soon :)

Now they are saying round 2 is on its way. Looks like the Iowa/Minnesota area will see a repeat of this weekend from Wed. to Friday. We lost power 8:40AM on Sat. but got it back 10:50PM Sunday. Many people in this area still do not have power and are being told days, up to a week. According to Alliant Energy's website, there are still a large number of customers in Iowa are without power.

Hey, all this ice/snow knocking down trees is at least good for something. Previous to the weekend, I would only have access to about half the "arc", but now I'm closer the 2/3 or 3/4 of the arc due to downed trees!

well we got about 8 inches right now here in Minneapolis

been out 4 or 5 times to shovel off the deck and clean the T90 and C-Band

had to dig the motorized out of snow...but signals still are decent

Yesterday we had a nasty dust storm up to 40 MPH winds,and temputure drop down to low 20's in late night.:eek:

Right now it's in the upper 40s and hoping next week we will get back into mid and upper 60's.

This time of year here in New Mexico is mostly winds with some duststorms and sometime with rain and snow.

The temputure can ranges from daytime upper 30's to mid 70's and nighttime temputure can go down low as upper 20 to mid 40's here in high desert.:)

Can't wait for nice summertime!!:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)