Zinwell 4x8 has one bad output port?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lovswr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Can a Zinwell 4x8 fail in such a way that only one output port (#3) is bad? I have a Slimline, the aformentioned Zinwell & two Hr20-700's & two D10-200's (I used to have an older RCA for the 7th tuner but when I started to get this problem I just disconnected it)

Now both of the D10's do not have the Slimline nor AT-9 as an option, so I have them both set to the Round 1-LNB Dish. However, when I connect either D10 to output port 3 then I only get the even transponders & all of the odd read 0. If one of the LNB's was going out on my Slimline, then should either of my HR20's see that problem too?

First of all, you shouldn't be using a 4x8 switch with a Slimline 5 LNB dish...it doesn't support the frequencies that the Ka/Ku dish uses. You need to be using a 6x8 wideband multiswitch, such as the Zinwell WB68.

Secondly, if you have a 5 LNB dish and a receiver that does not have that as an option, you need to choose a 3 LNB dish during your setup. This tells the receiver that it will be dealing with multiple LNB's and using the 22kHz control tone. The 5 LNB dish will support a 3 LNB mode on older SD receivers.

To answer your original question, yes, a port can go bad on a multiswitch but I don't really think that is the problem here.

First of all, you shouldn't be using a 4x8 switch with a Slimline 5 LNB dish...it doesn't support the frequencies that the Ka/Ku dish uses. You need to be using a 6x8 wideband multiswitch, such as the Zinwell WB68.

Secondly, if you have a 5 LNB dish and a receiver that does not have that as an option, you need to choose a 3 LNB dish during your setup. This tells the receiver that it will be dealing with multiple LNB's and using the 22kHz control tone. The 5 LNB dish will support a 3 LNB mode on older SD receivers.

To answer your original question, yes, a port can go bad on a multiswitch but I don't really think that is the problem here.

You know what! I'm an idiot who can not count to six. Went into the attic & you are correct, it is a WB68. The last two input ports have those plastic caps on them. Ok tomorrow I will change both D10's to 3 LNB & see if that makes any difference on output port 3.

if you have a 5 LNB dish and a receiver that does not have that as an option, you need to choose a 3 LNB dish during your setup. This tells the receiver that it will be dealing with multiple LNB's and using the 22kHz control tone. The 5 LNB dish will support a 3 LNB mode on older SD receivers.QUOTE]

if lovswr does not getting anything from the 110 or 119 on the SD box then it won't matter if it is set to a basic dish.

if you have a 5 LNB dish and a receiver that does not have that as an option, you need to choose a 3 LNB dish during your setup. This tells the receiver that it will be dealing with multiple LNB's and using the 22kHz control tone. The 5 LNB dish will support a 3 LNB mode on older SD receivers.QUOTE]

if lovswr does not getting anything from the 110 or 119 on the SD box then it won't matter if it is set to a basic dish.

Yes it will...the receiver won't even look for those two sats if it assumes he has a basic dish. I've seen it happen where the only thing I changed on the customer's setup was their dish configuration and all of their sats came back on line. It has to do with the way the receiver sends the info back to the LNB to chose the correct transponders.

As I said, IF there is no are no channels coming from the 110 or 119 to the D-10s there is no need for them to send the 22KHz to switch to get those sats. Lovswr said there was an odd-even problem on the SD D-10s when connected to port #3. Their problem is either a bad port/multi-switch or if the cable is moved to a known working port and still does not work then it’s a connector/coax problem.

As I said, IF there is no are no channels coming from the 110 or 119 to the D-10s there is no need for them to send the 22KHz to switch to get those sats. Lovswr said there was an odd-even problem on the SD D-10s when connected to port #3. Their problem is either a bad port/multi-switch or if the cable is moved to a known working port and still does not work then it’s a connector/coax problem.

Well it must be a bad port on my Zinwell (or multiswitch) on my Slimline, because I moved from port 3 to 8 & now the D10 in question sees both odd & even transponders.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)